Ported Victor W2

-
They certainly won’t outpower a Holley, even though you can’t stand Holley carbs.
I've gotta disagree with this, at least in certain applications.
On my 265 (inline 6) I have ran multiple carb/manifold set ups. long runner, mid length & short runner manifolds, edelbrock/Carter/Holley carbs, even tried east/west carb mounting to help with mixture distribution. Most power i got with a 4bbl carb was 206hp to the wheels with an Aussie speed long runner manifold and holley 650DP (was tuned by a shop that specializes in Holleys as I normally run Carter/edelbrock carbs and not super familiar with Holley carbs). I eventually moved to an individual runner setup with 3x45DCOE weber carbs and spent many weekends dialing them in- swapping out jets/chokes/emulsion tubes etc. until I had it running sweet. low/midrange throttle response and power improved dramatically and peak power increased to 227HP at the wheels. Same dyno, no other changes to the engine except more miles on it. Anyway we seem to be going off topic a bit here...

I've gotta disagree with this, at least in certain applications.
On my 265 (inline 6) I have ran multiple carb/manifold set ups. long runner, mid length & short runner manifolds, edelbrock/Carter/Holley carbs, even tried east/west carb mounting to help with mixture distribution. Most power i got with a 4bbl carb was 206hp to the wheels with an Aussie speed long runner manifold and holley 650DP (was tuned by a shop that specializes in Holleys as I normally run Carter/edelbrock carbs and not super familiar with Holley carbs). I eventually moved to an individual runner setup with 3x45DCOE weber carbs and spent many weekends dialing them in- swapping out jets/chokes/emulsion tubes etc. until I had it running sweet. low/midrange throttle response and power improved dramatically and peak power increased to 227HP at the wheels. Same dyno, no other changes to the engine except more miles on it. Anyway we seem to be going off topic a bit here...

Yeah, in a specific application. I refuse to even have a try at a discussion with someone from down under. You equivocate, manipulate and just bullshit. Bewy is the perfect example of that. He makes broad statements and when you nail him down slithers and squirms like a snake. Don’t emulate him.

RB,
You are such an idiot. Learn to read.
If your comment about Webers acting like IR carbs didn't have anything to do with anything, then WHY MENTION IT.

As for Webers, & in particular Chrysler, you know nothing. Here, in 1971, the E49 Valiant had a 265 inline six with triple 45 DCOE Webers, IR intake. It made 302 hp & was a production car. It did the 1/4 in 14.4 sec with a 132 mph top speed. How many Holley equipped 265 ci engines do you know that are doing mid 14 sec 1/4 miles & 130+ top speed????????????????????????????
It got 15-17 mpg [ Imp ] cruising. Comments from road testers such as: 'You can drive around town town at a steady 1500 rpm - 30mph- & never need the to change down.....in fact the engine needs to come down close to 1000 rpm before it grumbles at all.'...We picked 5500 rpm working limit, though the car will run past this quite easily....The Porsche 911s, generally acknowledged, as the worlds best 6 cyl couldn't even match this time to 100 mph, 17.1 secs.' [ Compared to 14.1 secs for the E49.]
'The most immediately noticeable thing about the engine is it's tractability'.
And on it goes...........

You think a Holley is going to beat that? Dream on.

Again, I understand you hate the Holley carb. It’s too hard for you to comprehend. At 74 years old I don’t expect you to learn anything new. I see you worship the QJ, the TQ and Weber’s. And nothing else can touch them because you can’t do it. Once again, you have derailed another thread with your bullshit.

I refuse to even have a try at a discussion with someone from down under. You equivocate, manipulate and just bullshit.
Now that sounds like a broad statement. As I said - in certain applications.
I was just stating my experience and testing with both setups.
I have little interest in turning this into a 14 page shitshow like the streetmaster/airgap thread.
@mbaird how are you going with your manifold porting?
Looks like you have made some good improvements - I would be interested to see how it goes once it is bolted back on the engine.

Yeah, in a specific application. I refuse to even have a try at a discussion with someone from down under. You equivocate, manipulate and just bullshit. Bewy is the perfect example of that. He makes broad statements and when you nail him down slithers and squirms like a snake. Don’t emulate him.

Yeah I nailed you down and what did you do......

Now that sounds like a broad statement. As I said - in certain applications.
I was just stating my experience and testing with both setups.
I have little interest in turning this into a 14 page shitshow like the streetmaster/airgap thread.
@mbaird how are you going with your manifold porting?
Looks like you have made some good improvements - I would be interested to see how it goes once it is bolted back on the engine.

I am done with the porting .
Just reassemble the car and take her for a spin. I will chassis dyno it to see if the engine pulls into the 7k range in the spring .

RB,
I don't 'worship' QJs. Maybe in your fantasy world....
I also happen to be class of 47......& expect & want to learn new things...
For those who want to learn new things [ Rat Bastid need not apply ], here are some more Weber/Dellorto stories [ IR type carbs ]:
[1] PHR magazine, March 86. Quad DLRA downdraft Dellortos fitted to a SBC. 'This system offers crisp off the line acceleration, excellent mid range power & tq, good top end power & exc fuel economy. The Dellorto system was independently dyno tested against stock & other aftermarket manifold & carb systems.. In every test, the Dellortos came out on top-more power & torque throughout the engine's rpm range. The IR design also helps smooth out a big duration cam during idle & low speed operation.'

[2] The Engine Maters Contest, results reported in PHR, Feb 2010. A Chrys Hemi 365 came 3rd. Drum roll.....it had quad 48 IDA Webers & made 613 hp.'When the highly developed engine wailed through it's eight barrels of isolated runner induction to a third place finish, the crowd responded with stunned awe'

My guess would be that he wants people to think it is a labor intensive process to discurage competitors and promote clients. Which is fine ... I wouldnt want to divulge my secret process either

My thinking also, especially if it was how I earned a living. My little experiment with that isn’t too laborious, I’m confident I’ll get a single plane done in less than 2 hours. I’ve seen enough variation in texture to know what I’m doing falls within the mix.

By the way, Did you burr finish yours or not something you’re going to bother with?

I am done with the porting .
Just reassemble the car and take her for a spin. I will chassis dyno it to see if the engine pulls into the 7k range in the spring .
Dyno and/or track testing?

Last edited:
My thinking also, especially if it was how I earned a living. My little experiment with that isn’t too laborious, I’m confident I’ll get a single plane done in less than 2 hours. I’ve seen enough variation in texture to know what I’m doing falls within the mix.

By the way, Did you burr finish yours or not something you’re going to bother with?

Dyno and/or track testing?

I did not end up burr finishing it .
I will do a chassis dyno later this year to find results and swap the tunnel ram on to see the difference .

-
Back