Ported Victor W2

-
Not sure I have the patience or technique to get a Pro Stock outcome but I can get a good sense by feel and measurement of plenum and port exit dimensions . It can't get much worse than the stock profile if I keep everything fairly close to even .

I do like the input on removing the hook . That should enhanse part throttle performance as well .

The red section seems to be a thin area and I was concerned about breaking thru... I did not measure but felt with my fingers as I went .

Once you clean up the area shaded in blue you’ll see you won’t have to take much off there red shaded area. You just need to get it as straight as you can.

14771593-8DAA-4BD9-85D1-89E2E0329DA1.jpeg
B4485205-07A7-434E-BCE8-830D3A435779.jpeg

Cleaned her up a little more.

Like I said before you need to learn how to use lighting when you take pictures but it’s looking better. Pictures from plenum lighting from end of runners. Pictures from head side lighting in plenum.

Like I said before you need to learn how to use lighting when you take pictures but it’s looking better. Pictures from plenum lighting from end of runners. Pictures from head side lighting in plenum.

Yeah .. these were a couple of quick shots . I will light the runners and take a few more.

Not even the manufacturers can decide on plenum shape.

Earlier this year I built a 440. The owner had a collection of intakes: T1, T2, Victor, M1 4500. Out of curiosity, we measured the width, ht, & depth to get an idea of the plenum volume. Here are the numbers in the above order: 535cc, 1260cc, 885cc, 1332cc.
You would expect a 7000+rpm intake like the Victor to have a large plenum; however it is 2/3 the volume of the lower rpm T2. Another thing to notice is the T2 plenum is more than twice the volume of the T1, yet both are 2500-6500 rpm intakes.
It would seem the thinking at Edel went backwards & forwards over the years on plenum vol.

Earlier this year I built a 440. The owner had a collection of intakes: T1, T2, Victor, M1 4500. Out of curiosity, we measured the width, ht, & depth to get an idea of the plenum volume. Here are the numbers in the above order: 535cc, 1260cc, 885cc, 1332cc.
You would expect a 7000+rpm intake like the Victor to have a large plenum; however it is 2/3 the volume of the lower rpm T2. Another thing to notice is the T2 plenum is more than twice the volume of the T1, yet both are 2500-6500 rpm intakes.
It would seem the thinking at Edel went backwards & forwards over the years on plenum vol.

This may be due to the advances in cyl heads over the years with increased flow .

Runner taper, and length are really the biggest tuning factors based off of harmonics/wave tuning. Plenum volume is probably pretty dependent on individual combo bore/stroke as well as rpm and carb size I would think

Or maybe (in actual fact) the plenum volume of each intake was developed for the particular application the manifold was being designed for. Maybe they aren’t as stupid as you think they are. Plenum volume can’t be sorted out on a dyno (there is one exception to that rule) and needs to be worked out in the car.

I am hoping to recover some of my top end without killing my part throttle performance . I just feel like my build should support more than 6200 rpm .
The eratic fuel distribution lead me to think opening/ cleaning up the plenum would help .

View attachment 1715828966 You can use an inside calipers to measure in your intake manifold, setting it to or measuring it with a scale(ruler). This is how my grandpa who was a pattern maker made patterns measuring with a shrink rule.
And or snap gauges and a mic.

Take and cut on cardboard to size, for instance at the pinch, and use it as a quick gauging method.

You’ll get there! Looking forward to the pics with the lighting that PittsburghRacer suggested.

what about plenum dividers or a "volcano"? (I believe it's a shop in Wisconsin that makes two different styles for open plenum intakes)

I am hoping to recover some of my top end without killing my part throttle performance . I just feel like my build should support more than 6200 rpm .
The eratic fuel distribution lead me to think opening/ cleaning up the plenum would help .
Spacer or no? Try a 7/16 thick spacer if you haven't.
If you work the flange/runner roof transition and at some point it goes backwards instead of forwards in #'s..try a thicker spacer.
I see where people like the intake as rough as as 10 grit...like an old asphalt driveway pitted up. Everything's different, I like both because I dont have a have a dyno to show me which is a game changer and the numbers are there. Numbers dont always mean what you think,but it's a measured increase...and it's better than going on blindly grinding.
I round the the roofs.. I dont lay them back into the runners, but I've also aimed for a not to so high target... but some people do.
The advice you've been given is good.

Last edited:
what about plenum dividers or a "volcano"? (I believe it's a shop in Wisconsin that makes two different styles for open plenum intakes)
I believe the more common term is “turtle”. But they’re usually a bandaid deal for too much plenum volume or fuel distribution problems.

Or maybe (in actual fact) the plenum volume of each intake was developed for the particular application the manifold was being designed for. Maybe they aren’t as stupid as you think they are. Plenum volume can’t be sorted out on a dyno (there is one exception to that rule) and needs to be worked out in the car.
I took notice to the small block Torquer series. There is a big difference in the plenums and runners. Very different intakes. I never had the first torquer but owned the torquer II - 340. Big plenum, short curved runners vs the first torquer with the smaller plenum and straighter runners. I just got my first Victor from a member here.

Do the runners on the Torker taper from the plenum to port exit like on a Victor or Weiand 8510 or 7545 Xcellerator?

Spacer or no? Try a 7/16 thick spacer if you haven't.
If you work the flange/runner roof transition and at some point it goes backwards instead of forwards in #'s..try a thicker spacer.
I see where people like the intake as rough as as 10 grit...like an old asphalt driveway pitted up. Everything's different, I like both because I dont have a have a dyno to show me which is a game changer and the numbers are there. Numbers dont always mean what you think,but it's a measured increase...and it's better than going on blindly grinding.
I round the the roofs.. I dont lay them back into the runners, but I've also aimed for a not to so high target... but some people do.
The advice you've been given is good.

I am running a 1" 4 hole tapered spacer .
On the subject of textured finish I have an idea that I would like some feedback on ... I had a powdercoating friend order some Hammertone powder and I plan on doing the inside of the intake with it . Hammertone is close to a golfball texture and the powdercoat is impervious to fuel .

Whats your feedback ?

I am running a 1" 4 hole tapered spacer .
On the subject of textured finish I have an idea that I would like some feedback on ... I had a powdercoating friend order some Hammertone powder and I plan on doing the inside of the intake with it . Hammertone is close to a golfball texture and the powdercoat is impervious to fuel .

Whats your feedback ?

I don’t know if that would be helpful or not. You can’t get the surface of the intake manifold too rough. Forget the golf ball analogy. Google Speier Racing Heads and look at his intake manifold finish. You get no option other than what he has. I would think someone like him would have run down about every conceiveable surface finish there is, and he won’t do it any other way.

The question I have about turtles is do they block some airflow when the fire order transitions from one bank to another ? The air is not moving in a linear direction thru the carb and down each runner ...but rather bouncing back and forth as the fire sequence occurs.
At least this is my visualization...

I don’t know if that would be helpful or not. You can’t get the surface of the intake manifold too rough. Forget the golf ball analogy. Google Speier Racing Heads and look at his intake manifold finish. You get no option other than what he has. I would think someone like him would have run down about every conceiveable surface finish there is, and he won’t do it any other way.

I have seen his manifolds. I get tired just thinking about the work involved!

-
Back