Ported Edelbrock Victor flow numbers

-
Dwayne is spot on with his comments. It's the .400" flow that always underachieves with these heads--best I've seen is 270cfm and that's still weak IMO. Usually I see around 350-357cfm peak at best no matter what size they are or who did them--in fact I had a set of CNC'd Victors that were claimed to go 390's-400's and they went 330 something. The height of the S.S. and the bowl shape won't allow much over 350cfm-they are a weird animal for sure.

@ PBR--How does your friend plan to put .750" lift into them when the install height is so short?

If I ever get/have to do another set I will mill the rocker stands off and get T&D to send me paired shaft rockers so I can fix the stupid short install height and put a longer valve and spring in it. J.Rob
J.Rob, are you saying that even with a 400cfm flow number on these VMW heads that it is not a guarantee to producing more power?

J.Rob, are you saying that even with a 400cfm flow number on these VMW heads that it is not a guarantee to producing more power?

I think my buddy proves horsepower can be made. And that was with a dinky .690 lift cam. And I think we would see some improvement with just the changes he made to the exhaust side of the head. Some more improvement could be made by tubing the head bolt and pushing the common wall over and figuring a way to remove the bulge created for the rocker hold-down shaft.

I think my buddy proves horsepower can be made. And that was with a dinky .690 lift cam. And I think we would see some improvement with just the changes he made to the exhaust side of the head. Some more improvement could be made by tubing the head bolt and pushing the common wall over and figuring a way to remove the bulge created for the rocker hold-down shaft.
J.Rob knows a bunch of tricks to fix these heads. He mentioned angle milling and moving valves just for a couple.

J.Rob knows a bunch of tricks to fix these heads. He mentioned angle milling and moving valves just for a couple.

I don’t think many racers using this head are going to get into doing all of that with better head options out there. Now maybe a one off dyno competition build maybe.

The guy I spoke to that has the two sets from Hughes that did flow 400 on the bench near him, has his own Dyno-Mite dyno.
He’s gotten solidly over 900hp from both sets.

The guy I spoke to that has the two sets from Hughes that did flow 400 on the bench near him, has his own Dyno-Mite dyno.
Wow, nice. What cubic inch and compression Dwayne?

I don’t know the compression, but since they’re bracket race engines, I’m sure they’re in the 13-something range(or more).

I think he said they are 557 cubes.

Here’s one of them in action:

1971 Plymouth 'Cuda

Last edited:
Something else I forgot to mention was Joe’s running TTI headers on his Duster. I’m sure he’s giving up some ET there too. This cars to clean to cut up for a more racier header.

Something else I forgot to mention was Joe’s running TTI headers on his Duster. I’m sure he’s giving up some ET there too. This cars to clean to cut up for a more racier header.
Those TTI's are available in a 2 1/8 tube with 3.5 collector. I hear they are a ***** to install thou.

So, i'm curious. At what point or cubic inch is the 355cc port needed?

It really depends on what you’re trying to do.

For somewhat “normal” style Mopar wedge heads, and a combo that doesn’t involve anything too exotic ....... in my mind it’s when the plan revolves around:
-540ci +
-13.5+CR
-target hp of 850+

For that type of build, I like to do a high CR 572, and shoot for about 900hp.

It really depends on what you’re trying to do.

For somewhat “normal” style Mopar wedge heads, and a combo that doesn’t involve anything too exotic ....... in my mind it’s when the plan revolves around:
-540ci +
-13.5+CR
-target hp of 850+

For that type of build, I like to do a high CR 572, and shoot for about 900hp.
I see. Would a 330cc port be enough in a 13:1 511 combo with a hp goal of 800? Just curious.

I sold a set of Indy cnc325’s to a customer who built a nice low deck 499.
It made just a tick over 800.

It’s never only about one piece of the puzzle.
AndyF’s motor that made big power had heads that were only 310cc.

All proven horsepower numbers or backed up by track times. Big difference right? I don’t remember any of Andy’s builds being backed up. Lots of magazine builds if you know what I mean.

Well, that motor Andy built got some of the exotic stuff removed, and it was then sold.
I believe It’s currently in a full bodied 67GTX that’s had some limited track time, so we’ll have to see how it pans out.

But, you and I disagree on the validity of dyno results vs track results.

When the car is good the numbers agree. When the car sucks, the track results suck(like the guy on Moparts recently who changed his converter and picked up 11mph. That’s an 11mph improvement without the motor making any extra power.)
I have seen many many examples of this from testing motors on the same dyno for 23 years.

Last edited:

Yeah, i understand there are many pieces to the puzzle for sure. I was just curious if my VMW heads would be capable even with all the correct parts.

Only one way to know for sure.

A little off topic :
wonder what or how much having a pair of cnc`d standard port victor knock offs , that flow 354 @.600 , would gain ,having them cnc max wedged ??

Any ideas, or thots ??

A little off topic :
wonder what or how much having a pair of cnc`d standard port victor knock offs , that flow 354 @.600 , would gain ,having them cnc max wedged ??

Any ideas, or thots ??

If the cnc shop ran the same program thru them as what they do for the MW version, and they don’t put any holes in them in the process....... seems like you’d end up with the same thing as if they had started out as MW heads.

Depending on what you’re building, I’d say 1/2 the benefit(maybe more)of going to MW size is using a MW sized manifold.
Especially as the engine gets bigger.

If the cnc shop ran the same program thru them as what they do for the MW version, and they don’t put any holes in them in the process....... seems like you’d end up with the same thing as if they had started out as MW heads.

Depending on what you’re building, I’d say 1/2 the benefit(maybe more)of going to MW size is using a MW sized manifold.
Especially as the engine gets bigger.

Is there a hole on the bigger cnc’d heads leading to the rocker hold-downs. (On the top of the port) I see this hole in W8,W9 small block heads and several others. It would sure be a nice place to remove that big hump leading into the short turn.

It’s a BB head designed for shaft mounted rockers, so if you break through the bulge in the port, you have created a path from the oil that is supplied to the rockers into the port.

W8 style heads generally use Jesel style rockers where the hole that breaks into the port is just used to secure the bedplate.
The same is true with 440-1 /572-13 /600-13 heads that use Jesel rockers.

I suppose if you used Jesel rockers on the Victor heads and plugged the oil feeds you could break through the bulge without it becoming oil injection to the intake port.

As the heads come from Edelbrock, the first hurdle to overcome for “big power” NA is the short spring installed height.
They aren’t so awesome in terms of flow(compared to some other options) to overcome that, so imo it’s just easier to use a different head instead(for the 800hp+ applications).

I talked to Joe yesterday afternoon and so far he’s talked to 2 or 3 cam manufacturers. looking at his flow numbers they are suggesting at least an .800 lift cam. We discussed the installed spring height issue you guys brought up and he told me that has already been addressed.

-
Back