pos damage if I shear the crank Damp Key???

-
Probably no harm done. At high rpm it could do serious damage to the bottom end. How would one shear that key ?

Everyone tells me with a roots style to run a double keyed crank. If you do not be sure to take it easy-and low boost
a 440 crank diam and dapener are pretty stout compared tp a chavy BB I believe
Not going to run a dapener only a crank pulley
Some of my sources have chevy's

If you shear a key,and spin the hub,severe galling may occur.Are you installing the blower on a built engine or are you building something??What compression?How big is the blower?
I just changed over to an ATI superdamper.

Attachments

• GARAGE 2 021.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 332
  • GARAGE 2 023.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 344
  • Snouts 013.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 334
  • Snouts 014.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 337
Specifically shearing the key should not ruin the crank???
What about valve's hitting pistons??

My engine
forged crank
steel rods
balanced
flat top forged pistons forged pistons
8:1 CR 906 ported heads
Mech 110 or 112 Lobe and 528 lift

I am back and forth between A centrifigul and A roots style.(you can't beat the looks of a roots!)
Why did you switch to the ATI from the BDSI am familiar with the excess heat generation of the roots and the lower torque response
The BDS looks really COOL in the pics!

My engine

Mech 110 or 112 Lobe and 528 lift

I am back and forth between A centrifigul and A roots style.(you can't beat the looks of a roots!)
Why did you switch to the ATI from the BDSI am familiar with the excess heat generation of the roots and the lower torque response

Go with a wide LSA on the cam.

Hemi-itis switched his damper to an ATI Super Damper, not from a centrifugal to a Roots blower.

Go with a wide LSA on the cam.

Hemi-itis switched his damper to an ATI Super Damper, not from a centrifugal to a Roots blower.

OHHHHH??
I am running an ATI Super Dampener now!!!!!
I haven't worked on the car in awhile.
I am going to go with a single key for now. i don't want to dismantle the engine now-runs. i have to many irons in the fire now.
If i shear the single key well then i will know should have gone wtih a double key I guess

Thanks for your help!!!!
I will post a pic of my progress.
This ones my E-body though so maybe I shouldn't???????

795.jpg
[/IMG]
test

Question was if the key fails what are you going to hurt? Well to be honest I think the SB is a non interference motor meaning the valves will not hit if the valves are open and the piston is at TDC with a stock cam. But it would be the same as a timing belt breaking, valve timing would be compromised. Some motors can take it by design, some cant by design. To sheer a crank key would be herculean, as the key is almost 1/4 inch of solid steel and the sheer strength is mighty. eg. 46,160 psi for cast crank material, and I think the keys are steel, not iron.

If it is a externally balanced engine it could be devastating to the internals. I really don't see much happening to a internally balanced engine. Damages would be considerable to the radiator and waterpump but then again it may just fly out the bottom and hit the ground. Seen it many times at the track!

I have read some guy's run no balancer and only the belt.
The belt has enough dampening but I have good balancer already. Not sure if its a Super Dampener? TCI though
Actually I am confused some people run a a dapener and some don,t??????
I have a TCI dampener should I use it?
motor is balanced and has been running with the dampener
Forged crank

I have read some guy's run no balancer and only the belt.
The belt has enough dampening but I have good balancer already. Not sure if its a Super Dampener? TCI though
Actually I am confused some people run a a dapener and some don,t??????
I have a TCI dampener should I use it?
motor is balanced and has been running with the dampener
Forged crank

Use the balancer!

any time you are planing to put a blower on any motor and plan on making any kind of horsepower with it you should put the extra keyway in it know mater what your machen shop says..if its there for looks and sound then you will probly get away with it. and beshour to use the big chry.ones they work..Artie

I have read in many statements that the belt is supposed to be enough.I ran a crank hub only for 8 years,but had issues.Now I intalled an ATI superdamper to see if it will eliminate the issues from my past.But I was plyin' in a slightly higher HP range than you will be untill you double key that crank or get a nice stroker.You say you will only use a little,but that like sayin' your only gunna put it in just alittle:la: Your gunna just tease yourself,change a pulley and get in trouble:book:You HAVE to limit your self to maybe 5lbs of boost,,,,,,,,,,that's IT!!

Attachments

• garage 3 006.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 209
  • GARAGE 2 021.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 214
  • GARAGE 2 031.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 213
  • GARAGE 2 023.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 210
  • GARAGE 2 024.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 202
  • separate 411 015.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 195
  • separate 411 013.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 198
  • garage 4 056.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 209
A centrigugal blower probally makes more sense for me but I am drawn to a roots style like a bug to a bug light!
Hopefully with a different end result

-
Back