Positive Battery Cable

-

zmarty27

Reaction score
Prices are sky high and I'm interested in making my own. Only problem, though, I'm not an electrician and I am unfamiliar with load sizes and required gauges. Is there any room for improvement on gauge size versus the stock cable? Stock cable number is 2983649 according to the part manual. I couldn't find specs in either manual aside from length. Thanks in advance.

Generally no4 wire is large enough, unless you have some "monster" AND are using the old style starter. Min--permanent magnet starters don't draw near as much. This is if the battery is up front

Trunk mount you need larger wire

Some parts stores can crimp and assemble custom cables. Most have different lengths of "generic" ones in stock

Prices are sky high and I'm interested in making my own. Only problem, though, I'm not an electrician and I am unfamiliar with load sizes and required gauges. Is there any room for improvement on gauge size versus the stock cable? Stock cable number is 2983649 according to the part manual. I couldn't find specs in either manual aside from length. Thanks in advance.
How close to original look are you thinking? The lead battery post clamp is the near impossible part to duplicate. To get something close, just order one from Classic Industries or Layson's. If making your own, it never hurts to size up the gauge one size.

If you're not an electrician and not familiar.
By the time you buy the cable, connectors and fabricate a tool...
Youll be better off Buying one from here, a Fabo member, Moparmat2000.

The car is a ‘74 Duster with the stock 225 and starter. I’m not married to it being like the original. I’m only concerned with the extra wires running to sensors and all.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

If you're not an electrician and not familiar.
By the time you buy the cable, connectors and fabricate a tool...
Youll be better off Buying one from here, a Fabo member, I forgot who does them but does a nice job.
Ahhh, MoparMat2000

@crackedback makes some nice ones as well. [FOR SALE] - Custom Battery Cables

I make them using 1/0 cable. I still have some 2/0 cable laying around... overkill for your slanty.

You measure the wires as they are now and I can make a positive cable, no problem.

I make them using 1/0 cable. I still have some 2/0 cable laying around... overkill for your slanty.

You measure the wires as they are now and I can make a positive cable, no problem.
DM'ed you moments ago. Thank you!

-
Back