Positive Toe Angle On Diff Housing

-

jcruise

Reaction score
Anyone know if the manufacturers built toe angle into their differential housings?

Toe on the back of an A-body live-axle would not be good. Well there is one thing it would be good for: shredding tires. And 325/50s ain't cheap
I suppose a minor misalignment wouldn't kill the tires, but it would probably contribute to wander, as the tires tried to steer whenever they encounter a rut or an uneven road surface. And the constant squirm would shorten tire-life for sure.Modern radials would probably convert the squirm to heat tho, instead of tire wear.

Rear toe-in would also cause the car to push in the corners if bad enough. A little bit will help cornering stability but slows turn-in a bit. Toe out causes the rear to step out (oversteer), adds some degree of cornering instability, but gives faster turn-in. Too much and the car will really oversteer badly.

Over the years people had mentioned that the factory built negative toe angle into the rear to help it tract better,same way they do the front wheels,none of those people worked for a manufacturer as a tech or engineer so I always questioned the theory,thinking about narrowing a diff and if I do I"ll point them straight forward. Thanks for the input.

Over the years people had mentioned that the factory built negative toe angle into the rear to help it tract better,same way they do the front wheels,none of those people worked for a manufacturer as a tech or engineer so I always questioned the theory,thinking about narrowing a diff and if I do I"ll point them straight forward. Thanks for the input.

I think that's just an "old wives tale", like so many things that people repeat.

Better to let the springs do that if you need turn-in back there.That's why my rear springs are nearly dead flat. I want ME and my right foot to be in control of steerage!
Well, actually, IMO anyone who would put toe in a live axle is crazy or desparate anyway! Better ways to do the same thing.

-
Back