Possible cheap headers

-
Early A bodies are one of the hardest cars on the planet to put headers on. Not just the installation but the interference especially with the steering. They may fit with a lot of modification. Do your homework.

Do your homework.

No, I want my answer NOW and I don't wanna get dirty!.. Oh wait..

Seriously though, That's what I'm trying to do, if I'd known they were called shorties, I'd not have posted this. Instead of searched using the amazon descripton. So, in a sense I am doing homework and learning all the time.

I understand the early A's are hard to find headers for, that's why we're planning on using the 273 manifolds for the young'uns Valiant but I saw those and thought, Cool! maybe they will work..... Guess not.

learned something new today.

I appreciate the info!

-=C

No, I want my answer NOW and I don't wanna get dirty!.. Oh wait..

Seriously though, That's what I'm trying to do, if I'd known they were called shorties, I'd not have posted this. Instead of searched using the amazon descripton. So, in a sense I am doing homework and learning all the time.

I understand the early A's are hard to find headers for, that's why we're planning on using the 273 manifolds for the young'uns Valiant but I saw those and thought, Cool! maybe they will work..... Guess not.

learned something new today.

I appreciate the info!

-=C
There's a lot of "been there....done that" with the shorties. About the only ones that work are the Spitfires. They were specificlly designed for the V8 early A bodies. Laysons sells them. Full length headers from Doug and TTI are good ones. I believe Hooker still has the fenderwells if you don't mind cutting your inner fenders.

Early A bodies are one of the hardest cars on the planet to put headers on. Not just the installation but the interference especially with the steering. They may fit with a lot of modification. Do your homework.
I found this out , but with W-9 heads and an AlterKtion.
Made them , and it was a 40 + hour , 850.00 chuckle fest............that includes coating.
Don't go cheap. You truly get what you pay for in this world.
If you can live with 1 5/8 tubes , Hooker , Dougs and I think Hedman have products.
If you need more , TTI's.
Tube Technologies A-body Headers - Mopar Muscle

It would be interesting to see what / if could be modified. Those posted are intended to replace factory manifolds "bolt on" to the stock head pipes.

If those are the same Dakota headers that I saw on a truck at pick-a-part, they kick out too far. They will run right into the steering shaft. They wont fit the passenger side either unless you remove the inner fenderwell and shock mount. #6 and #8 are side by side. You can barely get one pipe in there. Too wide...next!

Header selection for an early a sucks. My hookers cook a dual pot master cylinder. Best bet is buy the tubing, bends, and collectors and build your own.

Header selection for an early a sucks. My hookers cook a dual pot master cylinder. Best bet is buy the tubing, bends, and collectors and build your own.
That is not a job that is to be taken on lightly.
If you have the tools , skills and a high tolerance for frustration , I'd say yes.
Know that at least one tube a side is going into the wheel well in most cases.
The reason most of the shelf headers for these bodies are 1 5/8 " tubes and 3 " collectors isn't because they wanted to leave you room for easy plug changes.
It is tight.
Hooker's and a heat shield would not be a bad choice.
You will have them on and off the car a minimum of ten times a side during construction.
I have an AlterKtion ( no torsion bars ) and hacked up wheel wells , and I had 40 hours into them .........easily 40 hours.
Geography can be your friend......there is a shop in N.W. Arizona that will build you custom headers .......... they will need your car for however long it takes , but I suspect a couple days would be it. I can't recall the name of the place , but their reputation is strong.
Someone on here knows of them and has used them........but cheap will not be an option.
That's the price we pay for having fun.
cooling & headers 002.jpg
cooling & headers 003.jpg
20170624_131808.jpg

-
Back