Possible Electrical Fan Conversion?

-

Retson

Reaction score
I have an all stock 360 LA. I'm trying to go as minimal on wiring as possible for the car. Would it be possible to do an electrical fan conversion? Would I need a separate battery?

Hi,

No need for a separate battery. Depending on how much current the new electrical fan requires, you will need to upgrade the electrical system. Perhaps a larger alternator and some wiring changes.

I run a dual electric fan off a thermostatic controller I bought from summit. You can hide the relay, run all the wires off the battery, and all you will see is the sensor and one wire running to it.

Thank you guys! Also, any recommendations for good fans?

Thank you guys! Also, any recommendations for good fans?

Do yourself a favor and get the fan and shroud combo from a Ford Taurus (if it fits your radiator size)
Guys play with all kinds of electric fan setups and it is one I have heard the best things about.

As a matter of fact I saw one brand new in the box for sale here recently, and I think he was asking 100 bucks or so for it.

I bought my dual fan set up from challengergary here on FABO. I actually bought my Champion aluminum radiator, fans and shroud from him. I should have ordered the thermostatic fan switch from him, but I stupidly thought I'd just run an on/off switch inside the car. The first time out I forgot to turn off the switch and came out to a dead battery. I bought the thermostatic unit from Summit. It works pretty darn well.

View attachment Radiator install.jpg

View attachment Radiator install 1.jpg

That's REAL close to the same thing I mentioned, thanks.

He say's:

The fans come courtesy of a 1995-2000 Ford Contour. Dual electric fans, high and low speed, with a shroud that just about fit my 26" Champion radiator like it was made for it. To get it mounted I added a couple of 1/8" by 2" aluminum bar, and used the original mounting brackets on the fan.

Attachments

• fans.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 277
Do yourself a favor and get the fan and shroud combo from a Ford Taurus (if it fits your radiator size)
Guys play with all kinds of electric fan setups and it is one I have heard the best things about.

As a matter of fact I saw one brand new in the box for sale here recently, and I think he was asking 100 bucks or so for it.

this is what I have and it works great. thermo switch to control the low side and high side is wired to a toggle switch.

I have this one for $50 plus shipping. Its the Taurus fan. Brand New.
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=301907

Wow that's awesome! Do you have any pictures?

Here is some pics from a while back. The only thing I didn't mention is the radiator support has to be trimmed to move the radiator towards the front bumper to clear the water pump.
The motor of the fan is very close to the water pump pulley.

SU1HMDA5NTItMjAxMzEyMjktMTcwMy5qcGc_zps01dca89e.jpg

SU1HMDA5NTEtMjAxMzEyMjktMTcwMy5qcGc_zps0b07f51c.jpg

Creative use of the ford fans! There are a lot of cool, shiny rads to go with those fans out there:)

This is covered much on the H.A.M.B. hot rodder website. Many there like the Ford 2-speed fans. Get the fan from the junkyard and you can buy a dual relay kit for it on ebay. It requires a two step temperature switch.

sick! I'll go to my local Pick and Pull, so like an 2004 Taurus would be good right?

No way! That's awesome! How long ago? Did you know any of the mopar guys there?

It was about 15 years ago, and my wife, kids and I lived on W.Cook street.
I worked at the Aamco there as shop forman and stick shift tech, and we had a White 70 Coronet and a blue metalic 69 Coronet four door.
We didn't really know any other people with Mopars at the time.

-
Back