Possibly trading for a '65 Barracuda

-
You might be surprised what you can do. This is where I stand now and after having surgery on Monday it may be awhile longer before I can get the paint applied and start the reassembly
Sweet looking Barracuda! When did you begin the project? And has there been anything that surprised you, or caught you off-guard?

No real surprises. Mine is a Formula S which does have some nice things added, I guess the only surprise may be the time it has taken me to accomplish the task of completing the project. The picture is how it looked when I brought her home. I have new upholstery, carpet, headline and most everything I need to finish including the paint. Unfortunately, life gets in the way of me being able to do the things I want to do. Wishing you

2015_11_14_21_33_27.jpg

No real surprises. Mine is a Formula S which does have some nice things added, I guess the only surprise may be the time it has taken me to accomplish the task of completing the project. The picture is how it looked when I brought her home. I have new upholstery, carpet, headline and most everything I need to finish including the paint. Unfortunately, life gets in the way of me being able to do the things I want to do. Wishing you
Yeah, I understand re: the time thing. I've been watching Peter Anderson's videos on YouTube (he likes to tear down and restore Fords, mostly). He gives himself about two years to finish a car. Since it would be my first complete disassembly, I want to be generous with myself and be on a timeline of about thirty months. If it takes longer, it takes longer ... but I don't want to become frustrated because I can't finish it now, ya know?

I'd have to farm out certain cosmetic parts of the project since I'm not confident in my ability to get it done right (e.g., paint, carpet, upholstery). But the bulk of the work I could do, and depending on the quality of the parts as they sit, it could be done with minimal expense.

Wishing you the best in your opportunity to have a really cool car. I very rarely see these cars around north Carolina. When I am able to get mine out of the garage to do some work, I always have someone stopping by to talk.

Definitely! I retired in February and really thought I could finish mine quickly. So much has happened and changed in my life through. I went back to work part time, and with sickness in the family, me being the latest, with surgery for having a mole removed that was found to be cancer. Plan your attack, tag and label all of your parts and take tons of pictures. You will be so proud of your results

Definitely! I retired in February and really thought I could finish mine quickly. So much has happened and changed in my life through. I went back to work part time, and with sickness in the family, me being the latest, with surgery for having a mole removed that was found to be cancer. Plan your attack, tag and label all of your parts and take tons of pictures. You will be so proud of your results
Here's to your future, improved health!

Do you have your screws, etc., electroplated to protect them from the elements? If so, what kind of shop would do that?

Just to give you an idea, I have replaced the leaf springs, the brake lines, master cylinder, fuel tank, lines, pump and had the carb rebuilt as well as the transmission. The floor pans have been replaced and I have started painting the interior parts. Even though I do get discouraged, and my wife comments of why don't you just sale it, you are never going to finish it, I can see how much I have gotten completed.

I didn't, I have the screw's cleaned with a rust remover and stored, I also purchased an assortment of replacement screws because some of mine were really bad

Just to give you an idea, I have replaced the leaf springs, the brake lines, master cylinder, fuel tank, lines, pump and had the carb rebuilt as well as the transmission. The floor pans have been replaced and I have started painting the interior parts. Even though I do get discouraged, and my wife comments of why don't you just sale it, you are never going to finish it, I can see how much I have gotten completed.
Sounds kinda like Job's wife -- "Curse God and die!" ;)

All of that work sound like fun, so count me excited!

Make your plans as for as the direction you are going with your car
I really wanted to have mine just as it rolled off the assembly line and have probably spent more money than necessary in some cases. Mine is basically stock with very few modifications. This was my dream, and if you wish to modify to make it like you would like, I think that is awesome as well. I see the ones with different motors and things, but I wanted mine to be as original as I could

Make your plans as for as the direction you are going with your car
I really wanted to have mine just as it rolled off the assembly line and have probably spent more money than necessary in some cases. Mine is basically stock with very few modifications. This was my dream, and if you wish to modify to make it like you would like, I think that is awesome as well. I see the ones with different motors and things, but I wanted mine to be as original as I could
Right now, my desire is to keep it pretty close to stock. I'm thinking about modifying the car slightly for safety (e.g., disc brakes up front, daytime running lights, and a dual-reservoir master cylinder). But all in all, I want the 1965 "feel" when I drive the car ... even though that was eighteen years before I was born! :p

I have the 273 commando and although mine came with dual exhaust, I have purchased the system to replace those with the single exhaust that the car left the factory with. Again, you decide what direction you with to go with yours. I have a friend who has one that has been changed, with a 360 motor and custom interior and the car really is awesome, just wasn't the direction I wanted to go.
I'm sure I will get a lot of comments about drivability and such, but mine isn't a drag car or maybe not a show car, but a fun car for me to enjoy. Funny the comment about Job, I don't know if I could have the faith to endure all that he did. I would hope that I would! If you are married and your wife just isn't into classic cars, it can make life interesting.

2015_11_14_18_30_18.jpg

I have the 273 commando and although mine came with dual exhaust, I have purchased the system to replace those with the single exhaust that the car left the factory with. Again, you decide what direction you with to go with yours. I have a friend who has one that has been changed, with a 360 motor and custom interior and the car really is awesome, just wasn't the direction I wanted to go.
I'm sure I will get a lot of comments about drivability and such, but mine isn't a drag car or maybe not a show car, but a fun car for me to enjoy. Funny the comment about Job, I don't know if I could have the faith to endure all that he did. I would hope that I would! If you are married and your wife just isn't into classic cars, it can make life interesting.
Ha! No, I'm a Catholic priest, so I don't need to worry about a spouse. Just a bishop who might try to move me to another parish in the middle of the job. :p

And I think we're thinking alike, in some sense. If the car is show-worthy when I'm done, so much the better. However, my focus is to make it fun for me to drive. I don't buy cars to look at; I buy them to drive.

You are making a good decision as far as the updates you have mentioned, those are things that I will probably do as well. Your a young man with some really good plans and dreams. I think you are making a good decision on the Barracuda. Sounds like the have a plan laid out that sounds very reasonable. The nice thing is you can find a lot of parts for these cars even though they are 50 years old. If the floor pans happen to be bad, just order new ones, purchase a welder and learn how to do it
ask questions, there are some really great guys here that know so much about this type of car that is amazing to me. Good luck with your project. Is sure you will do it great job and have some fun.

That is a great way to see things. I don't believe I could have made it through life without my wife. I know she was part of God's plan for my life.
As our pastor said more than once,
God definitely has a sense of humor, creating man and woman so different, and then putting them together.

This is a shot of my dashboard
like I said I am working on spraying some of the interior when I can

2015_11_14_18_25_53.jpg

The photo of the motor is how it was when purchased, I haven't painted anything under the hood yet. Have a great day

Went to check out the car today and took these pics. The chrome is in excellent shape, and although some mud work has been done, I think the body is pretty good. The last picture kinda concerns me ... not sure what that rusted, bent piece is.

And the VIN is confusing the snot outta me. It's an 8-digit VIN, but the good folks at MyMopar seem to think it should be a 10-digit VIN. Not sure what to make of that.

20160919_115332.jpg

20160919_115439.jpg

20160919_120543.jpg

That thing looks pretty crusty. I would pass on that because I have parted them out in that condition. You are looking at complete floors which are not sold, A hood not being remade, probably fenders not being made, inner cowl gone and leaking when it rains or gets washed, etc.

That thing looks pretty crusty. I would pass on that because I have parted them out in that condition. You are looking at complete floors which are not sold, A hood not being remade, probably fenders not being made, inner cowl gone and leaking when it rains or gets washed, etc.
Hmm ... there's a pretty big MOPAR salvage yard near me, and if I need "new" repro hood and fenders, I can get them from usbody.com (unless they aren't to be trusted for some reason). If I do go for it, I'm clearly aware that it would be a full disassembly and reassembly.

More pictures for reference.

20160919_114840.jpg

20160919_120300.jpg

20160919_121649.jpg

20160919_121700.jpg

Hmm ... there's a pretty big MOPAR salvage yard near me, and if I need "new" repro hood and fenders, I can get them from usbody.com (unless they aren't to be trusted for some reason). If I do go for it, I'm clearly aware that it would be a full disassembly and reassembly.

More pictures for reference.

First places I would look on this car are up under the dash to get a good look at the inner cowl! Look around where the drivers side fresh air box mounts to the metal above it!!

Next I would be looking at the rear roll up pan behind the rear floor pan underneath! That area is triple layered, with a large area to catch and hold moisture to rust out all 3 pans that come together there!
Next, inspect the rear crossmember piece that ties the 2 frame rails together in the rear!

Also be sure to inspect the center crossmember where the torsion bars mount!

If any of these areas are rusted through and need replacing, especially the inner cowl, it's major surgery even for the most experienced surgeon! If it were a Formula S car I would be more apt to go forward with the trade, seeing as it's not makes fixing these areas more a labor of love for the body style, and not much monetary value added to the car!!

Incidentally, here's a pic of the 66 I did for my wife, took me 12 years to complete!!

image.jpg

Honestly with the pics you have posted that is an 800 dollar car. The hood and fenders you speak of new are fiberglass if that is ok with you. Just dont want you to regret a trade down as even being a 4 door your car is worth more. A trade I would make him pay cash plus the Barracuda if your heart is set on that.

Not being as experienced as my friends here, I'm not sure what to tell you. If you have a good salvage yard with barracuda that you could pick up parts, that would be a bonus. I'm prejudice when it comes to the Barracuda, but listen to everyone and then make your decision. You know your capabilities. I will say from experience, it is easy to get in over your head when doing a restoration. Ask me how I know. Even though I can see the end of the tunnel on mine, I have to admit there have been times I have considered to take a loss on mine and just give up. Think about it and make your own decision. Best of luck to you

JMO, but that car will require a huge investment in tools, time, and money. Not a lot of sheet metal available new. I like early Barracudas. This one is a good parts car.

-
Back