Possibly trading for a '65 Barracuda

-

Hilderbrand1983

Reaction score
I've been working on my 1967 Dodge Dart 270 (225cid L6) for a while now, and the opportunity has come along to trade for a 1965 Plymouth Barracuda (273cid V8). The Barracuda is in desperate need of a paint job, has a small coolant leak at the heater core, and a small brake fluid leak at the proportioning valve. He also said that there is an ever-so-slight automatic transmission fluid leak (which, I understand, isn't uncommon in a TF904 at the neutral safety switch, if that's where it's coming from).

My real concern, though, is that he says the automatic transmission "slips a little bit." I haven't seen the car in person yet, so I can't say one way or the other re: how bad it is. My question is...

Just how hard is it to rebuild a 904? Would you recommend a guy who has never rebuilt a transmission of any kind start with it, or that he get a shop to do it for him? How much do transmission rebuilds tend to cost?

Also ... has anyone dealt with Performance Automatic's work before? I see they offer lifetime warranties on their Street Smart 904 transmissions, but I can't find any details on the warranty itself.

If I'm going to spend ~$1,000 to have someone rebuild a transmission that is likely to go bad again in 3-4 years, wouldn't it be a better use of money to get one of these instead?

I have read it is very simple to rebuild the transmission. I paid to have mine rebuilt and paid 600 here in north Carolina. I'm sure someone will chime in soon. If everything else is in good condition, it doesn't sound like it would cost that much to repair

I have read it is very simple to rebuild the transmission. I paid to have mine rebuilt and paid 600 here in north Carolina. I'm sure someone will chime in soon. If everything else is in good condition, it doesn't sound like it would cost that much to repair
think I`d rather have the dart, better body style!

think I`d rather have the dart, better body style!
To each his own, of course. My relationship with the Dart has always been my "starter car" -- something to learn on. The Barracuda would give me a similar opportunity with the more "cosmetic" work on a car.

I am restoring a 65 barracuda so I guess everyone knows where I stand here. I just don't see very many early Barracuda's anymore

I'm a little biased myself and say go for it!!

We rarely regret the times we choose to change...but often regret the times we choose not to make a change. :D

I love the early Barracudas and everywhere I go people want to have a conversation about it.

Go for it !!!! Ditto what 66fyssh said... Peeps love talking / asking about the early Barracuda!
As for the 904... They are very easy to rebuild if you have mechanical skills, the tools & a shop manual... I did many of them in my day... 727s included... Just lay out the parts in the order of disassembly... (Just a suggestion on that last part) ⚓

My trans guy charges me $400 to do a bench rebuild, meaning that I remove and replace the trans and just bring it to him!!

I would personally do the trade, but I too am biased towards the early A's, and not a fan of 4 doors!!

Would definately do the trade. Of course im biased also.
Sold my 65 cuda in may and miss her big time.

Would stay away from crate trannies & go the rebuild route on your existing 904( yourself or shop )
If still stock your pre 1966 904 will have a different spline torque converter than later units and shifter will have second cable used for park.

A/T's are not complicated but they have many pieces....so if you have a 12' bench to lay all the parts on as they come out, its a very rewarding project. Just remember that A/T's rely on line pressure and seals to work, thats about it. The gears are a non issue when rebuilding 99% of the time. If the trans is slipping, that means that either there is low line pressure (new pump) or a bad seal on a piston (o-ring). Youll need some snap ring pliers and a mic to measure bushing thickness, but that is about it. There are a few tricks on a few parts but its not hard, just take your time. 904 cable trans will need to be rebuilt as there are no cores out there to swap out from a trans shop. Your going to get dirty as ATF will get everywhere, and is very thin so itll get into your skin so wear nitrile gloves.

When I had mine rebuilt, the 600 covered removal, rebuild and installation. I wish in a way I had done my own, but am comfortable with what I paid

When I had mine rebuilt, the 600 covered removal, rebuild and installation. I wish in a way I had done my own, but am comfortable with what I paid
How long ago was yours rebuilt? Have you had any trouble with it?

3 years ago, but very limited driving.
Hmm ... if it's bad and I have to rebuild it, I'll have to keep an eye on it.

I'm fairly new in my car restoration hobby (having started on my Dart [in profile pic] this past June), but I'm still in the stage of "buy it to drive it." I love tootling around town in my Dart, and it saves me from racking up miles on my '16 Challenger. :p

I guess we'll just wait and see what the Barracuda looks like! I'll post some pics when I get them tonight.

Ok, I've got more pictures. Definitely a candidate for a total disassembly, but I see a lot of potential here. What do you think?

(And as far as I know, the current owner isn't a FABO member, but maybe he is. I'll testify that he's been great to deal with so far [just in case he IS a FABO member ;) ]).

Barracuda1.jpg

Barracuda2 (1).jpg

Barracuda3 (1).jpg

Barracuda4 (1).jpg

Barracuda5.jpg

Barracuda6.jpg

Barracuda7.jpg

imagejpeg_2.jpg

Has potential no doubt and looks pretty complete.
Would be very concerned about underside condition( floor pans, sub frame, torque boxes, etc. That hole in door jam is troubling. What lurks below?Check for structural rust(surface rust ok)
Looks like she has been repainted at least once and has some mud especially around rear wheel well on back quarter panel.
Check everything closely and use magnet on all body areas.
Thought at first engine compartment had been repainted black but enlarged photo and looks like oil grime. Could have a serious blow by issue.
IMHO mechanical stuff is worth taking on but
if she has structural repair needed(sub frame, major floorboard issues) steer clear of this trade.

Has potential no doubt and looks pretty complete.
Would be very concerned about underside condition( floor pans, sub frame, torque boxes, etc. That hole in door jam is troubling. What lurks below?Check for structural rust(surface rust ok)
Looks like she has been repainted at least once and has some mud especially around rear wheel well on back quarter panel.
Check everything closely and use magnet on all body areas.
Thought at first engine compartment had been repainted black but enlarged photo and looks like oil grime. Could have a serious blow by issue.
IMHO mechanical stuff is worth taking on but
if she has structural repair needed(sub frame, major floorboard issues) steer clear of this trade.

He's getting me photos of the underside of the car, and was upfront about the mud around the wheel wells. Like I said, it's a candidate for full disassembly -- down to removing the paint. I've already started thinking about a black exterior and a red interior ... but not before I see (a) the sub-frame and (b) a title.

Do you think that hole in the door jamb can be cut out and new metal welded in? Or is it a deal breaker?

You might be surprised what you can do.
This is where I stand now and after having surgery on Monday it may be awhile longer before I can get the paint applied and start the reassembly

WP_20160308_15_41_35_Pro.jpg

-
Back