Post the car you learned to drive in...

-

pishta

I know I'm right....
Reaction score
I just passed a car that brought back fond memories of learning to drive with my Dad. He had a 1974 Celica GT 5sp (had to look up year of taillights) as a company car and since it was our only stick at the time, I learned to drive in this model car. I had not seen one on the street in probably 15 years! This one looks to be on its last legs but it's still registered so.....post dem pics!
20220209_140009.jpg

After I learned, we got a 82 Mazda 626 4dr. 5sp. Super cool car, sort of a modern 4dr Valiant , blocky and reliable. Same MA 2.0 that's currently in my 82 B2000.

I just passed a car that brought back fond memories of learning to drive with my Dad. He had a 1974 Celica GT 5sp (had to look up year of taillights) as a company car and since it was our only stick at the time, I learned to drive in this model car. I had not seen one on the street in probably 15 years! This one looks to be on its last legs but it's still registered so.....post dem pics!
View attachment 1715866959
After I learned, we got a 82 Mazda 626 4dr. 5sp. Super cool car, sort of a modern 4dr Valiant , blocky and reliable. Same MA 2.0 that's currently in my 82 B2000.

Hope ya had a bag over your head ! :)

49 Chevy, 1964. Thats before photography!! Gotta got to go take my pills. And laxative. Before I doze off at 7 P.M.
Gas was $.19 a gal. Not much road tax, few paved roads back then in S W Ga!

49 Chevy, 1964. Thats before photography!! Gotta got to go take my pills. And laxative. Before I doze off at 7 P.M.
Gas was $.19 a gal. Not much road tax, few paved roads back then in S W Ga!

Still only a few paved road in SW GA :)

The pic wasn't the one, just a representation of the body style and year. Dad's was pimp: Factory chin spoiler, GT trim, wire spoke wheels, sunroof! Metallic brown.....70s! So find a pic online of your model year and post it.

Don’t have picture handy. But just like this one. Galleon Gold, same rims.

2017-08-02-1970-Vista-Cruiser-1-3224-1200.jpg

For me it was kinda a combination. I don't have pictures, but 65 Falcon 2 door sedan, 71 Vega GT and a 68 Ford F350 wrecker. I drove and operated that wrecker several years with blocks on the pedals until my uncle the deputy Chief of police in Macon pulled me over and told me not to anymore. I was probably about 13 or 14. I had been driving it all over Macon since I was about 10.

Drivers Ed were late 70s Ford Fairmont
Mom's car was a 78 Olds Cutlass Supreme Brougham

Alan

I don't have a picture with me. But very similar to this 1973 Ford Maverick 4 door- same as the picture except for white top and trim. Thankfully one of my sisters trashed it so bad that after I got my license my dad sold it and I got something way better.
I did recently find out, the Maverick was the first Ford my father bought after owning all Dodges. The family had just returned from a 2-year assignment in Guam where my father sold their 1969 Dart for a very good price. He didn't like the 73 Dart and bought the Maverick instead.
89887.jpg

I got my dart when I was 15 with a little slant six. Drove it with the slant until I turned 18 and saved up 800 for a 360.

76FEF57C-C277-4C94-991F-573AB7835077.jpeg

My first car and, the one I learned to drive in but, not me in the picture.

IMG95603458517622700.jpg

1964 Buick LeSabre like the one pictured, but a dark Blue color.
But, before that, a 59 Chevy Bel Air that dad had me go up and and down the drive way, first gear, and reverse, with a standard shift, 3 on the tree, column shift.
Like this one, but all green, top to bottom.
Buick LeSabre.jpg

1959_chevrolet_bel_air-.jpeg

Last edited:
No Pics, but a 60's VW beetle chopped to make a bush buggy. Dad taught me to drive that stick when I was 10. What a blast!!!

Edit: 1971 Charger the first one on the road with my learner's permit.

Mine was a 52 Studebaker Champion. It's not this one, mine was maroon colored, about like the wheels. It's one of the cars I wish I'd never sold. :(

1952-studebaker-champion-deluxe-americanlisted_30723151.jpg

Hi school driver's ed we had 3, this was in '65. About a ? 62 Stude, and 58 Chev, both ex Air force staff cars. and both automatic And a decent 56 Chev moredoor stick, all six cylinders

I don't remember driving the Stude more than once. Drove the 58 quite a few times, and drove the Chev a lot. Our instructor was "big" on learning stick shift. Class of 6, we alternated 3 at a time in the car

Imagine both of these black, almost or zero chrome, and the USAF lettering still somewhat visible on the side

800px-1962_Studebaker_Lark_four-door_sedan_in_black.jpg

chevrolet_bel_air_4-door_sedan_67.jpg

First car I drove for most of one year "when I could get it" was Dad's 55 Chev FIVE cylinder 2dr wagon, stick. Photos stolen off the 'net I don't remember the model, "low" end, maybe Biscayne

1955-chevrolet-handyman-2-door-station-wagon-project-chevy-bel-air150210-2.jpg

1955-chevrolet-handyman-2-door-station-wagon-project-chevy-bel-air150210-1.jpg

Last edited:
This a pic of my Dad with my 1969 Camaro the day after driving it home from TN 1986. Bought it from a cousin, who bought it from another cousin (first bought 1982). Both kick themselves in the *** for selling it. Second pic is my father and son, I'm still lucky enough to be driving it today.

IMG_0175.jpg

IMG_2678.JPG

Last edited:
Dad's '66 Fury III, 2 door with a 318, but my brother and I swapped a 383 into it while dad was away one weekend before my driving test.

I learned to drive in my brother's 74 Dart Sport 340 4sp, driving it around the yard.I was already good at using a clutch from riding motorcycles.

I took my driver's license test in my dad's nearly brand new 1978 Plymouth Sapporo. It was state of the art with an overhead console and all, lol.

sapporo_0.jpg

Last edited:
My dad’s 66 Barracuda 273 auto, which led to my first car, 66 Barracuda Formula S 4spd

-
Back