Post to Hardtop conversion

-

JeffTheMarine

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 1968 Dart 2 door post. Honestly I like the look of the hardtop cars better but I got a smoking deal on this car. I am looking to find information on how to if it is even possible remove the post and make it into a hardtop car. I am pretty certain that the actual post itself can be unscrewed and taken right out it is just the rest of the information that I need like do I need to change the window to fill the gap left behind or what needs to be done. Anything helps

Thanks
Jeff

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that the post and hardtop models have a different height roof. You could get the look of a hardtop by taking the post out, but a full conversion would probably require an entire roof transplant. I have some windshield trim that is about 1-2 inches longer on the A pillar than my hardtop car and was told that it fits the 4 door or post model as they both have a longer windshield and taller roof.

I recently purchased a 1968 Dart 2 door post. Honestly I like the look of the hardtop cars better but I got a smoking deal on this car. I am looking to find information on how to if it is even possible remove the post and make it into a hardtop car. I am pretty certain that the actual post itself can be unscrewed and taken right out it is just the rest of the information that I need like do I need to change the window to fill the gap left behind or what needs to be done. Anything helps

Thanks
Jeff

Jeff, The 2 door post uses the same windshield as the 4 door cars and they are a different height than the 2 door and the convertibles.
Bill

Not really an easy way to do this. As the above posters pointed out, the sedan roofs are taller. You can convert a 4 door sedan to a 2 door sedan without too much trouble, and it's been done quite a few times. Going to a hardtop would take quite a bit more work. You would need a donor car to take the roof and windshield posts from. You would have to use the tops of the hardtop quarters along with the roof assembly. Then you would need all of the hardtop specific weatherstrip, and a pair of hardtop doors since yours have frames around the glass. You would also need quarter windows and the regulator assemblies. On top of that I'm not sure the wheelbase is the same but I think it is.
An easier way to make the post 'disappear' would be to paint it and the doorglass frame and quarter glass frame flat black. Tint the windows a bit and the result looks pretty nice, I think.
Dallas

yea a HDT vs. a Post car a very different...

Attachments

• 100_4729.JPG
    183.5 KB · Views: 365
  • IMG_5689.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 341
Yeah alright then.... After more inspection and research I am going to leave it just like it is. I never realized I guess that there were that many differences in the post and the hardtop cars. I plan on either building a 383 or a Paxton supercharged 360 for it. I am still deciding. I will post some pictures of it when I get a chance. Thanks for the info and the help guys.

Jeff

you might not like the look of them, but the post cars are a stiffer platform. less flex and i think a little lighter too.

Yeah I have been busy as hell and we have been living in an apartment since I got out of the Marines so I have had no where to store or work on anything so I have been on a bit of a break of sorts I suppose. Like I was saying though I picked up this 68 Dart and I am still looking to buy a 69 Valiant. I also picked up a 77 Warlock 400big block 4WD 4 speed truck. It needs restored but is still a pretty rare combination and a bad A** truck.

Jeff

-
Back