Powder Coat Wheels??

-

66cuda-s

Reaction score
Hello. I just purchased some 14X5.5 inch steel wheels (thanks Commando66!!). Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has had these powder coated. If so are ther any issues, like too hard/slick for the wheel covers to grip?

Thanks,
66Cuda-S

I just bought a set of new steelies and they were powder coated by the guy who made them.

I think they'll be fine (from a slippy perspective)

Thanks. So it's been done. Also, any idea what it should cost to have the wheels Powder Coated (I suppose I should be asking CudaChick).

I had all 4 of mine done 5.5x14 and 8x15 sbp...everything was perfect when I picked them up. One issue with some powdercoaters, especially on the deeper rims like the 15 x 8 , the powder drips before it cures. Mine were redone once to make them perfect. Also, when mounting them they tend to squeeze on alittle tight...but the lugnuts will pull them on. Goodluck

Goodyear G60x15 Polyglas on 15x8 MINE.jpg

pauls340, if your rims had actual runs in the powder and were difficult to install, then the powder was applied too heavily (it should only be 3-5 mils thick), the lug openings weren't plugged, and it should never have been cured like that in the first place. I hope you didn't have to pay to have it redone. If so, that's BS.

66cuda-s, I'm happy to talk with you about coating your rims but, in all honesty, the shipping charges would probably far outweigh the cost for my work. I just shipped 2 15x8 and 2 15x10 steelies just around the corner to Mississippi ... each banded box of two rims weighed 65 pounds and UPS charged him $77.00 ($38.50/box). You're in Washington state and I'm in Tennessee -- I can only imagine how much it would run.

Just don't take them to pauls340's powder coater. :-D << duckin and runnin >>

Reviving an old thread...

I finally settled on a set of 17"s and of course, they're on backorder so I will have to wait a few months before they arrive. My plan is to have them powder coated before mounting up tires. I've heard people throw around $80-$100 per wheel to have this done. Is that accurate?

Has anyone bought their own setup to do this at home? Is it hard to get this right?

Harbor Freight has a cheap setup that has decent reviews. The only real challenge that I see is having a dedicated oven that's big enough to hold whatever part you are coating.

Yes its DIY doable..your results will vary! Get an old oven off craigslist or some dedicated IR heat lamps. The trick is to get them blasted and then super clean of all oils so the powder lays on evenly, like an acetone rinse then clip on and dust. Put something in the bolt holes, hub flange and valve hole so the powder doesnt get onto that surface can even wipe surfaces clean after dusting prior to heat curing. Youll blow alot of powder past your target so do it in a clean box so you can collect the blowby and reuse.

Yes its DIY doable..your results will vary! Get an old oven off craigslist or some dedicated IR heat lamps. The trick is to get them blasted and then super clean of all oils so the powder lays on evenly, like an acetone rinse then clip on and dust. Put something in the bolt holes, hub flange and valve hole so the powder doesnt get onto that surface can even wipe surfaces clean after dusting prior to heat curing. Youll blow alot of powder past your target so do it in a clean box so you can collect the blowby and reuse.
I have a buddy that got into powder coating using a used oven and material and hardware from Eastwood.
He did my stuff for free, I paid for the powder, as practice parts to get his technique down. Did crank pulleys, engine brackets and worked his way up to valve covers. The last parts were really good and this is 10 years later they have held up fine.
One thing he found was, even though I was providing him with bagged clean - blasted parts, he would get better smother results when he re blasted the already clean parts just before powder coating. He may have started pre heating the parts prior to coating. No doubt there were other tricks learned. So if doing it yourself I would start with some practice parts. There are techniques to getting great results.

Last edited:
Things to remember about DIY powder coating:

1. Don't make your first attempt on an important part of your car. Practice on scrap steel and aluminum (which needs more/different prep), old brackets and small stuff you can easily blast again until your results meet your expectations; powder is generally harder to remove than paint is, and is especially tasking on larger parts like a wheel.

2. The same powder can look different on steel than it does on aluminum. Ambient temperature, humidity and barometric pressure are all taken into consideration by pros because it affects results.

3. When coating more than one of something (such as a set of wheels), your results will be more consistent when all of the parts can be sprayed and cured at about the same time in the same conditions. Sure, you can coat four wheels in an oven the same size as the one in your kitchen eventually. But how are you going to hang it so it doesn't touch anything? Laying it on an oven rack will leave some lovely grids on the back side, now preserved for years. :) Or when a big storm rolls in between Number 2 and Number 3 and the humidity spikes from 48% to 92% ... and your Rallye Silver turns out substantially less shiny than Number 1 and 2 were. Keep in mind a steel wheel will take at least a half hour to come up to curing temperature (maybe longer), and then you'll have to wait for it to cool off before you can take it out of the oven for the next one or suffer the possibility that the shine will turn matte.

4. Though some may disagree, I believe that once the part is washed, it should not be touched again with anything until raw powder covers it. Wiping otherwise blasted/washed/dried metal with anything afterwards (such as acetone) is just asking for floaties, lint or embedded defects, and some unexpected / unwanted results if you're using translucent candy powders.

5. YouTube and online forums will give you an idea of how things basically work, but keep one thing in mind while watching / reading them. Those who have the time to create instructional videos or spend countless hours bringing newbies "up to speed" in powder groups every day are most likely not very busy actually doing work for customers. In most cases I've found the groups more like The Blind Leading The Blind, passing along rumors and insufficient and/or downright bad advice because they don't have the experience needed to properly teach anyone.

6. Don't invest a ton of money into equipment at the outset. A compressor, a cheap hobby kit, a means to blast what you want to coat, and a used Craig's List oven as recommended by our friend Pish is ideal because you'll figure out almost immediately whether you love powder coating or hate it. Far too many the last decade have fallen for Eastwood's "Start Your Own Business for $100!" BS, quit their day job, buy the best of everything without having a clue wtf they're doing, open a shop practicing on other people's metal, and then -- six months later, when costly unpaid rework outnumbers the new customers, they have a 1-star rating on FaceBook and the 26 people they worked for have told 26,000 people how sucky they are -- they sell everything at a quarter of the market value and call their old boss.

7. Basically speaking, anyone can do it. Getting really good at it is harder and takes time.

Hit me up if I can help with any other questions @MRGTX! Shipping from Connecticut would be a killer but I can maybe help you find someone local who is qualified enough. Good luck!

Leanna knows of what she speaks, she gave some advice to a coater that I used close to home. Unfortunately, Covid ended up shutting them down so now I'm searching for another coater in my area.

Reviving an old thread...

I finally settled on a set of 17"s and of course, they're on backorder so I will have to wait a few months before they arrive. My plan is to have them powder coated before mounting up tires. I've heard people throw around $80-$100 per wheel to have this done. Is that accurate?

Has anyone bought their own setup to do this at home? Is it hard to get this right?

Harbor Freight has a cheap setup that has decent reviews. The only real challenge that I see is having a dedicated oven that's big enough to hold whatever part you are coating.

you can also:
  1. heat the rims in an oven at 200 degrees
  2. paint
  3. Bake and cure in oven at 200 degrees
The baked paint is not as good as powdercoat. But it is a lot tougher than room temperature drying. It’s like splitting the difference

Last edited:
I have a buddy that got into powder coating using a used oven and material and hardware from Eastwood.
He did my stuff for free, I paid for the powder, as practice parts to get his technique down. Did crank pulleys, engine brackets and worked his way up to valve covers. The last parts were really good and this is 10 years later they have held up fine.
One thing he found was, even though I was providing him with bagged clean - blasted parts, he would get better smother results when he re blasted the already clean parts just before powder coating. He may have started pre heating the parts prior to coating. No doubt there were other tricks learned. So if doing it yourself I would start with some practice parts. There are techniques to getting great results.
Got any pics?

Got any pics?
Those parts are on the slant in the 83 D150. That engine was built and the powder coating was done ten years ago. I had the motor out in April of 2021 to freshen up the cylinder head and for a camshaft change. Here is a photo from then. Parts in this photo, ac bracket, ps bracket, thermostat housing, valve cover were powder coated 10 years ago

DC3296BF-AF6D-43F8-8CA4-59A67A1DA177.jpeg

Last edited:
I have done my own rims for the dart 15x10 and 15x4.
Also did the minivans winter rims 17" and redid the dakotas rims
Numerous other parts

I picked up my powder gun at harbor freight a few years back.
I use a kitchen oven that i purchased from facebook marketplace or was it kijiji?.. or who knows.
I bought a infrared thermometer to check temperature of parts

I used prismatic powders
Powder Coating Powder, Colors & Supplies | Prismatic Powders
Follow the temperatures and enjoy.

Yes it took me awhile to get things sorted out. Some stuff is not perfect, but thats how you learn.

-
Back