Powder coated my AirGap

-

512Stroker

We are all here because we are not all there.
Reaction score
Had the local powder coater shop clear coat my new AirGap. Thought I would post a couple of pic's of it in case any members were thinking about doing a clear coat application on their intake.

AG1.jpg

AG2.jpg

I wonder if it will yellow with the heat like clear gloss paint over aluminum. I’ve cleared them and painted them. The clear gloss has always yellowed some but the colors seem to hold up better. This has only applied to painted manifolds not powder coated. That really does look awesome with that black block and polished valve covers.

I wonder if it will yellow with the heat like clear gloss paint over aluminum. I’ve cleared them and painted them. The clear gloss has always yellowed some but the colors seem to hold up better. This has only applied to painted manifolds not powder coated. That really does look awesome with that black block and polished valve covers.
Don't know if it will yellow but i do know that gasoline will stain it permenantly!!!

I hear you about the clear yellowing.
I asked the Gent that ran the shop and his reply was that he did not believe it would yellow as he baked it at 450* F. We will find out in the long term.
I have considered clearing the valve covers. Thoughts?

I hear you about the clear yellowing.
I asked the Gent that ran the shop and his reply was that he did not believe it would yellow as he baked it at 450* F. We will find out in the long term.
I have considered clearing the valve covers. Thoughts?
I would see how the intake holds up prior to doing valve covers. I love powder coating but had never even contemplated doing my intake? Thanks for a great idea and I sure am anxious to see how it holds up this summer when driving season comes around again.

I would see how the intake holds up prior to doing valve covers. I love powder coating but had never even contemplated doing my intake? Thanks for a great idea and I sure am anxious to see how it holds up this summer when driving season comes around again.
I will report back after some run time.

I clear powder coated a 6 pack intake and it yellowed after a few years.

clear it in a transparent gold, head off the yellowing. And get some gold Moroso valve covers while your at it.
products-img_3260.jpg

Looks great! I had one of my intakes pc'ed the closest color to raw aluminum as possible. Looks alot like yours. It never has been stained by gasoline and I run a Holley. Don't know why clear would be different?

I certainly do hope that it does not yellow on you. All I can tell you is that I did some Rally wheels in silver with gloss clear, and I left one of them in the oven too long and the clear came out a bit yellow. That was about 15 years ago. Maybe the clear is much better now, because I have not had that problem since. Of course, I watch the time on my clear very carefully now.

I had my air gap clear powder coated about 10 years ago. I has held up very well and has not yellowed at all and no gas stains either. I think the only drawback is it holds the heat more than when uncoated and that transfers the heat to the carb. You will want to run a heat shield an phenolic gasket between it and the carb for maximum performance results..

I clear powder coated a 6 pack intake and it yellowed after a few years.

Was it brand new or used?

As long as it's properly outgassed and no nasty grunge leaches out of it afterwards (see pic of a brand new aluminum M/T), a new one should hold up with just clear.

Outgassing results.jpg

The problem though is if nothing comes out of the metal after it cooks at high temp for a few hours (VERY RARE since oils are typically used to mill them), there is little incentive to blast it ... so it's essentially a substandard prep attempt that won't last very long.

But blasting that brand new intake is going to take that New Aluminum Sparkle out of it while providing the best "tooth" for prime adhesion (unless it's really soft media which doesn't do much on a microscopic scale anyway). Who wants to preserve a dull blasted look for years or decades?

Both sides of the fence have to make concessions. It can be done right from the outset, or repeated again and again when it fails. The cost at the outset is higher but the downtime, intake gasket sets and effort add up too.

Choose wisely fellow gearheads.

Last edited:
-
Back