Power or Manual Brakes

-

rklein383

Reaction score
So I am putting disc brakes all around on my Mopar, just basic discs for a driver. I don't know if I want to have power brakes or not and if so, what size booster should I get. I have seen 7 and 8 inch boosters for sale.

Help me decide as my last 4 mopars have had manual drums so I have nothing to reference.

Thanks,
Rod

My 67, STILL "apart for paint" has 4x disk, they are 73/74 front A body, and Linc Versaille rear. I "lucked out" and just used the stock master, and it works fine

I'm reduced dramatically in strength from arthritic related crap at 67, and cannot stand or walk very far. Even so, with a SB V8 and 727 I could easily lock the thing up at freeway speeds, NO BOOSTER

My 67, STILL "apart for paint" has 4x disk, they are 73/74 front A body, and Linc Versaille rear. I "lucked out" and just used the stock master, and it works fine

I'm reduced dramatically in strength from arthritic related crap at 67, and cannot stand or walk very far. Even so, with a SB V8 and 727 I could easily lock the thing up at freeway speeds, NO BOOSTER

Thanks for the response.

I had power 10" drums on my '70 Dart and when I went through it I converted to big bolt discs up front and manual brakes. I can hardly tell the difference to be honest. May have to push a little more, but I feel a huge difference between manual drums and manual discs.

I'm in the same boat,my Valiant has power drum.Just did the 73 up disc conversion.Thinking of removing the booster.

I had power 10" drums on my '70 Dart and when I went through it I converted to big bolt discs up front and manual brakes. I can hardly tell the difference to be honest. May have to push a little more, but I feel a huge difference between manual drums and manual discs.

I fellow Mopar buddy of mine says he couldn't really tell the diff between power and manual disc brakes either.

I've had manual disks on my Duster with pretty much all of the rotor combo's. It started with the stock 10.98" rotors, then I upgraded to the 11 3/4" rotors with the same calipers, and finally to 13" Dr. Diff cobra style brakes/calipers with a 15/16" master. I think the manual disks are awesome. Really not all that much effort to use them, and they have a much better feel than the power disks I have on my Challenger (with 11.75" rotors). I don't think I'd put a booster on anything that doesn't have it, and I'm planning on taking the booster OFF of my Challenger.

rklein383,
Your options depend on what car you have (didn't tell us). Scarebird is the cheapest conversion, but not for all models. They use GM & Toyota parts which you can get locally, and just buy the brackets from them.

I'm good with manual drums so far...plan to go with the same setup as krazykuda on my '72 Scamp when I can actually get back to working on it. Nothing wrong with manual...simple and it works. Just have to match the parts correctly, and I'm pretty sure there are at least a couple dozen threads in this section about correct master cylinder selection based on what you want.

I recently saw a booster/MC w/ A-body stand-off brackets for $130 on ebay. Hard to fuss about the price. Formerly, there was a similar one for $170. Both use a GM type booster, but attach to a Mopar pedal.

-
Back