Power Steer Pressure Issue

-

jasonlas

Reaction score
Gday guys,
Ive got the AP6 wagon up and running now but the power steering is noisy as the fluid seems aerated. I believe this may be due to higher pressures from the 05 5.7 pump combined with the 92 rack im using. Has anyone else had a problem & if so how did you fix it?
Cheers

ap6 1.jpg

ap6 2.jpg

Pump seal bad. If pump was used and sat for a while the pulley shaft seal may have dried up. Or a loose hose on the suction side. Suction leak would cause fluid loss.

Pump seal bad. If pump was used and sat for a while the pulley shaft seal may have dried up. Or a loose hose on the suction side. Suction leak would cause fluid loss.
Gday. Pump seal is a possible as it did sit for a few years. There's no leaks at all. The pressure coming back into the reservoir seems excessive to me.

Oil flow through resevoir is usually a torrent,i wouldnt worry about that. 99%of the time a noisy pump is the seal.

Low fluid will become aerated and pump will whine. If this is a recent system makeup, maybe just get the air out of it and fill level correct.

There have been some threads on the issue of the Hemi pump having too much pressure and the solution is going to a GM style pump. Check out the SRTCudabuild at the top of the New Hemi swaps page. Jim (Realwing) is wealth of knowledge and great guy. If you check out his build you will find around page 25 post 611 he solved his problem with his power steering. As for me I have not got my hemi up and running as of yet. One of the solutions of using the GM pump is to machine down the pump housing to bring the pulley inline with the belt. I felt that if I had an issue with the pump then I would need to machine another pump so instead I am having the front engine cover where pump mounts machined to accept the GM pump in its stock form using the same bolt holes. Cheers

It's also possible that it just has air in it from being freshly filled again, and may clear up on it's own as the air bubbles dissipate.

There is an additive, AT205 transmission re-seal that work on seals that have hardened up. I have used it with mixed success.

Thanks to all of you. I will take all the info on board & suss it out. I did have a cooler in the system which i recently took out as it wont really be needed. Im hoping as the cooler was so close to the same level as the reservoir that it had an air pocket in it. Hopefully the system settles down by itself. Otherwise il try the seal first & then the GM pump if all else fails. I must say that the wagon is a weapon on the street already & its not even tuned. Going to be one happy customer. Wish it was mine!

Ok,as long as the weapon isnt a grenade....:lol:

Thanks to all of you. I will take all the info on board & suss it out. I did have a cooler in the system which i recently took out as it wont really be needed. Im hoping as the cooler was so close to the same level as the reservoir that it had an air pocket in it. Hopefully the system settles down by itself. Otherwise il try the seal first & then the GM pump if all else fails. I must say that the wagon is a weapon on the street already & its not even tuned. Going to be one happy customer. Wish it was mine!

Wow - impressive looking wagon!!!! Well done. I used a GM pump on my 6.1 . It was part of a front drive kit from March Performance coupled with a Mustang rack that was part of the RMS Alterktion kit. I had a lot of pump whine (really bad when turning) but noticed that there was a lot of air entrained in the fluid in the remote reservoir. The aerated fluid got sucked right back into the pump. It seemed to my engineering eyes that the reservoir was simply too small and poorly designed. I consulted with a couple of others and they both suggested a bigger reservoir. I ended up using this one http://www.billetspecialties.com/assets/1/7/77910_77920.pdf . Notice the tube inside the reservoir on the return side that really helps ensure there is very little air entrainment. Tuff Stuff also send me a new pump with a revised relief valve at no cost. After that - no whine.
This may not help with your current setup - but generally if air gets sucked in (bad seal) or by a poorly designed reservoir - it will whine for sure.
Jim

PS Here is a link to my build. Some info at the bottom of this page and the next. SRT8CUDA Build

Wow - impressive looking wagon!!!! Well done. I used a GM pump on my 6.1 . It was part of a front drive kit from March Performance coupled with a Mustang rack that was part of the RMS Alterktion kit. I had a lot of pump whine (really bad when turning) but noticed that there was a lot of air entrained in the fluid in the remote reservoir. The aerated fluid got sucked right back into the pump. It seemed to my engineering eyes that the reservoir was simply too small and poorly designed. I consulted with a couple of others and they both suggested a bigger reservoir. I ended up using this one http://www.billetspecialties.com/assets/1/7/77910_77920.pdf . Notice the tube inside the reservoir on the return side that really helps ensure there is very little air entrainment. Tuff Stuff also send me a new pump with a revised relief valve at no cost. After that - no whine.
This may not help with your current setup - but generally if air gets sucked in (bad seal) or by a poorly designed reservoir - it will whine for sure.
Jim

PS Here is a link to my build. Some info at the bottom of this page and the next. SRT8CUDA Build

Thanks mate. Cheers for all your help. Good luck with the rest of your build. I am a bit suss on the Aeroflow reservoir im using but its impossible now to swap. I may modify the return nozzles tho as theres two that are really small. Il see how it goes after a bit more bleeding up.
Cheers

To bleed - I jacked up the front end and with the engine off, I turned the steering wheel slowly from lock to lock many times until I no longer saw any air bubbles coming into the reservoir.

Last edited:
-
Back