Power Steering Box

-

VADodgeDart340

Reaction score
I started on my suspension - just wanted to put in new bushings. ended up redoing the entire front suspension with new and rebuilt parts. I now have "the dilemma"! The power steering box (actually a chuck, in Mother Mopar's official terminology) is shot and I need to re-build or replace. I have been reading about the FFI's and also the OE police unit (part number 3643375...? I guess) and want to make a decision.

So naturally I have some questions for the more experienced MOPAR guys on FABO:

Can I rebuild or have my steering box rebuilt to police specs using the right parts or am I stuck with it as is (even rebuilt)?

Who rebuild these things? recommendations?

The difference between the FFI aftermarket and the OE police unit seems minimal... is it?

Any help or suggestions is appreciated.

I don't know where in the world you'd find a close ratio worm gear. Not sure if they are available anymore for the power units. I know you can get the 20:1 worm gears from Mancini for the manual boxes and convert them. I plan on that myself. I have a good power box...but it's heavy and shippin would be a beeotch to pay for.

There has never been a different fast ratio internal steering gear for power steering boxes. That is ONLY a manual steering thing.

Mopar does not sell power steering chucks anymore reman, rebuilt, or new. So you can not buy that 100% new Police unit anymore.

You will have to have your steering chuck rebuilt. I suggest Firm Feel. They will put the parts into it to make the firmness like a Police spec chuck or even greater if you wish.

There has never been a different fast ratio internal steering gear for power steering boxes. That is ONLY a manual steering thing.

Mopar does not sell power steering chucks anymore reman, rebuilt, or new. So you can not buy that 100% new Police unit anymore.

You will have to have your steering chuck rebuilt. I suggest Firm Feel. They will put the parts into it to make the firmness like a Police spec chuck or even greater if you wish.

Fast ratio power boxes came stock on a lot of different Mopars. Although not available anymore, there was a factory replacement worm assembly for those boxes at one time. I believe they were 16:1 just like their manual counterparts. I have a 88 Fury cop car that had a fast ratio power box on it. Our member clhyer still has the box and pump assembly. Believe me, there was a part number for that fast ratio worm assembly.

Fast ratio power boxes came stock on a lot of different Mopars. Although not available anymore, there was a factory replacement worm assembly for those boxes at one time. I believe they were 16:1 just like their manual counterparts. I have a 88 Fury cop car that had a fast ratio power box on it. Our member clhyer still has the box and pump assembly. Believe me, there was a part number for that fast ratio worm assembly.

All power steering boxes are 16:1. Without the E-body long pitman, they will be 3.6 turns lock to lock at the steering wheel in A,B,E, and F-bodies.

The A38/AHB police package box is the "police firm feel" unit they used to sell brand new. Over $500 or so. Went NS1 in the early 90's, IIRC. Usually those original installed "police firm feel" steering boxes will have a tag with a white rubber plug with a molded "K" under the steering gear adjustment nut.

Optional on T/A and AAR, 71 340 cars, and std on 340 71 E-bodies built after March 71 was a Fast Ratio steering that consisted of a longer pitman arm and a steering box with different internal stops to compensate for the longer pitman arm.

-
Back