Power steering bracket question

-

Pumpkinduster

Reaction score
Hey all I am converting to the Borgeson Power steering setup - 800127. My question is what PS brackets do I need? Borgeson has this bracket on there site, but that is the only one for my year and motor.
image.png

I have a 74 Duster with a 318. I've looked on google and I am getting sets that have 3 or more brackets in them. Does anyone have a picture of there stock power steering brackets I can have a peek at?

Thank you

I think the bracket will depend on which power steering pump you use. I dont think the saginaw used the same brackets as the federal pump. So what pump do you have?

The borgeson setup is for a saginaw pump and from what I can tell it simplifies the stock setup which uses 4 bracket pieces. I've done all the same research, let me pull my notes together for you and I'll give you some more informed info later.

Hey all I am converting to the Borgeson Power steering setup - 800127. My question is what PS brackets do I need? Borgeson has this bracket on there site, but that is the only one for my year and motor. View attachment 1715452040
I have a 74 Duster with a 318. I've looked on google and I am getting sets that have 3 or more brackets in them. Does anyone have a picture of there stock power steering brackets I can have a peek at?

Thank you
Pumpkinduster, We use a much heavier 3/8" plate to manufacture our bracket rather than thinner stamped metal bits. This eliminates the need for additional pieces and simplifies installation. This bracket must be used with a Saginaw style pump with two mounting locations on the back of the reservoir.

Pumpkinduster, We use a much heavier 3/8" plate to manufacture our bracket rather than thinner stamped metal bits. This eliminates the need for additional pieces and simplifies installation. This bracket must be used with a Saginaw style pump with two mounting locations on the back of the reservoir.

Is this bracket confirmed to allow the Saginaw plump and stock line to clear 72-down K-Frames?

It doesn't look to me like the Borgeson bracket changes the location of the pump vs the stock bracket set, it simply reduces the number of components - I'm basing this on a lot of figuring and a cardboard mock-up I made to help figure pulley positioning, so Borgeson please correct me if I'm wrong. The stock brackets sandwich the pump and the assembly bolts to the block in two locations, with adjustment made at the front bracket. As Borgeson mentioned, the brackets were stamped steel and by beefing up the metal they dispensed with the front bracket altogether and incorporated the adjuster in the rear bracket.

For the pump sheave to be in the necessary belt plane and have any degree of adjustability, the pressure hose exiting the rear of the reservoir is going to run up against the 70-72 k-member mounts. Borgeson sells a banjo fitting and hose kit to get around this. I run a banjo fitting I got from Speedway and used an off the shelf pressure hose that I had fitted with an AN6 flare.

CVF manufactures a bracket that appears in photos to pull the power steering pump in tighter to the block but I don't know much about it.

The pic Borgeson shared above looks like a 73-up car, or at least k-member.

You can find the stock bracket set-ups on V8 cars up through the late 80s. By the mid-70s Chrysler had moved to using the Saginaw pumps exclusively.

CVF manufactures a bracket that appears in photos to pull the power steering pump in tighter to the block but I don't know much about it.

I have this setup and it does raise the pump and allow the line clear better. I used the line from Bouchillon Performance. I have well over 1" of clearance and no contact with the K-Frame.

Thank you all for the responses. I ended up ordering the bracket and no kidding that thing is thick! Thank you for the feedback on not needing additional brackets.

I should be good on clearance since I am running a QA1 tubed K-member.

Again thank you everyone for the info.

Bringing this post to life again. I bought the Borgeson Part # 802412 bracket for my 1970 Duster. I do have the Saginaw power steering pump. My pressure hose does not clear my K-member. @BORGESON do you sell the parts to get around this?

IMG_3261.jpeg

-
Back