Power steering conversion 68 Valiant

-

Mike P 52

Reaction score
I’m collecting parts/information for an engine swap (Gen 1 Hemi) on my 68 Valiant. Part of the swap will involve conversion to Power Steering.

How much larger is the stock PS Gear than the manual gear?

I understand the steering column may need to be swapped for a PS column. Are there any other changes such as a different pitman arm?

If the size of the PS gear is an issue, I’m not adverse to going to electric PS. I’ve been looking at the EPAS unit. Does anybody have any first hand experience with these units in an A body and comments either good or bad about them?

Thanks in advance .

The factory P/S box is quite a bit bigger than the manual box. If you want to have power steering, you might also look into the Borgeson units. Whichever way you go, yes, you will have to do some column mods. Coupler for sure, length probably, maybe even trimming the column tube depending on what room you need to have with G3 hemi conversion. Pitman shouldn't be an issue unless it's also a G3 problem.

Thanks for your reply Mark. That's kind of what I figured on the column, and good news on the Pitman arm.

I kind of suspected the PS box would be bigger and thanks for the tip on the Borgeson.

I'm doing a Gen1 Hemi so it's a completely different animal than the G3. I really don't know where I'll be room-wise till I start the mock up (hopefully this week but maybe the week after).

Going conventional power steering will be a bit cheaper in the long, but size and eliminating the PS pump and hoses makes the electric setup pretty appealing.......provided they work as advertised and are reliable.

-
Back