power steering gear box

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
You should state for what since they aren't all the same

i am changing the power steering box out of my 70 dart for a manual box. The one in it works fine, I want a manual because i don't like how easily the power steering steers, and the manual box will clean the engine bay up a little bit. I will sell you the box that I take out if you are interested.

Steve

Dial in Auto Zone on your computer and put in your car data. I did and got mine. They can give you a price and availability for your parts. If they do not have it in stock they will get if for you and I got mine delivered to the store in just a couple of days. I also ordered a Pittman Arm with mine.

Dial in Auto Zone on your computer and put in your car data. I did and got mine. They can give you a price and availability for your parts. If they do not have it in stock they will get if for you and I got mine delivered to the store in just a couple of days. I also ordered a Pittman Arm with mine.
i have checked with all the box store auto parts companies, and if they have not told me they simply cannot get it they have gotten my phone with a promise to call me in a few days.

advance auto actually gave me a number of a company that will rebuild mine for a fee.

am going to send some PM's

If you don't have any luck post again and in the meantime I'll search around. What size motor do you have in the '68?

i have a blanket question for everyone offering the boxes out of their cars, are they the original boxes or have they been replaced before?

the engine in the 68 is a 383.

Actually, three...

First off, will a 383 motor cause any interference problems with a power steering gearbox in an A body? I know the oil pump sticks out on the left front of the engine at the bottom and I wonder if that might cause space utilization problems, but, maybe not. I dunno...

Second, I want to tell you that the "rebuilders" who work with companies like Auto Zone, Pep Boys, Carquest, Checkers/Schucks/Kragen, Advance Auto, and O'Reillys sometimes are not the most technically conscientious mechanics in the world.

I bought a "rebuilt" power steering box from Pep Boys for my A body (1972 Valiant with power steering), and by the time it had 4,000 miles on it, it had serious issues, such as almost half-a-turn of free play on center.

They offered to replace it, but I got my money back and ordered one from Firm Feel http://tinyurl.com/62ew6v and it has proven to be worth every penny I spent, with virtually no "play" on center, no leaks, and a nice increase in road feel. I think they call it "cop car" valving...

Good luck with your steering box!

Actually, three...

First off, will a 383 motor cause any interference problems with a power steering gearbox in an A body? I know the oil pump sticks out on the left front of the engine at the bottom and I wonder if that might cause space utilization problems, but, maybe not. I dunno...

Second, I want to tell you that the "rebuilders" who work with companies like Auto Zone, Pep Boys, Carquest, Checkers/Schucks/Kragen, Advance Auto, and O'Reillys sometimes are not the most technically conscientious mechanics in the world.

I bought a "rebuilt" power steering box from Pep Boys for my A body (1972 Valiant with power steering), and by the time it had 4,000 miles on it, it had serious issues, such as almost half-a-turn of free play on center.

They offered to replace it, but I got my money back and ordered one from Firm Feel http://tinyurl.com/62ew6v and it has proven to be worth every penny I spent, with virtually no "play" on center, no leaks, and a nice increase in road feel. I think they call it "cop car" valving...

Good luck with your steering box!

I never said it was going in an a body :p

This is for my brothers 68 Charger. I am putting a brand new manual box he bought in mine, I am buying the power steering box for his car in return.

I ended up buying a 2 year old box off ebay a guy took out of his 69 cuda.

thanks to all who offered theres for sell, brother just did not want to go with an original 40 year old part, it could last a hundred miles or a million.

I've got a rebuilt one (by A1 cardone) I just pulled off my barracuda with just a few hundred miles on it. If you're interested, let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back