Power steering gearbox leak

-
I don't think the 66 had a bearing. I'll have to pull out my laptop and look at the FSM.

Bummer is you have to press out the pin before you can get the seal on! Mine was extremely tight but I got it.

Great. If/when you need to replace the lower seal, there's a tip for that one too. No drill or screw required.
A note for others... see in the above pic how the screw blew out the outer wall of the seal? Try to avoid that. Center punch mark over on the seal, drill small, angle the screw toward seal wall. You don't want to damage the casting wall too much. RTV there regardless. Happy moparing
Thanks RedDish, I do need to replace the lower seal also, it's dripping. What it the trick to that? Can you direct me to a how to?

Thanks RedDish, I do need to replace the lower seal also, it's dripping. What it the trick to that? Can you direct me to a how to?

Ah, the pinion seal trick! I did mine about 5 years ago after learning about the trick from @RedFish. I'll let him tell it...it works, but it can messy, lol. Although it didn't get too messy when I did it.

Unfortunately, my steering box started leaking from the bearing retainer on the input side. So I shipped it out to Steer and Gear today for a rebuild to "sport" feel.

After you remove the pitman arm ( proper puller is easiest/safest ) pick off a dust cover, remove a snap ring. Start engine and steer to one end. Fluid pressure will blow the seal out into catch pan.

After you remove the pitman arm ( proper puller is easiest/safest ) pick off a dust cover, remove a snap ring. Start engine and steer to one end. Fluid pressure will blow the seal out into catch pan.
Thanks, I did a practice run on a spare box I have. Picked the dust cover off, no problem, but Isn't get the snap ring off to save my life. Used two different snap ring pliers, straight, 45 & 90 degree points, no go even on the work bench. Snap ring is so far into the groove the points won't engage the holes on the snap ring. Looks like it will be fun under the car laying on my back

Everything is easier on a lift, except taking a power nap in the middle of a job. LOL
In a more perfect world the engineers would have provided a relief/cut away in that shoulder where the snap ring is better exposed. Maybe you can create that relief? Maybe whittle the plier tips down a bit? Maybe to a half moon shape? The seal wall below those holes is soft enough that you can distort it so the tips go deeper though the snap ring holes.

Everything is easier on a lift, except taking a power nap in the middle of a job. LOL
In a more perfect world the engineers would have provided a relief/cut away in that shoulder where the snap ring is better exposed. Maybe you can create that relief? Maybe whittle the plier tips down a bit? Maybe to a half moon shape? The seal wall below those holes is soft enough that you can distort it so the tips go deeper though the snap ring holes.
We are experiencing freezing rain this morning in Kansas City, so I'm not going anywhere except the Garage to work on the Barracuda. I will prevail someway, thanks for your help!

I wedged a plastic bucket underneath to catch the fluid as it came flying out.
Good idea! I sure appreciate you input. We have alot in common other than both owning a 66 Barracuda. My Barracuda came from my dads farm in Georgia, little town of Vienna, 50 miles south of Macon. I was a Navy Seabee stationed in Gulfport and lived off base in a trailer park a few blocks from the main gate of the Air Force base in Biloxi.

Good idea! I sure appreciate you input. We have alot in common other than both owning a 66 Barracuda. My Barracuda came from my dads farm in Georgia, little town of Vienna, 50 miles south of Macon. I was a Navy Seabee stationed in Gulfport and lived off base in a trailer park a few blocks from the main gate of the Air Force base in Biloxi.

Wow! Small world. That's really cool.

I was living in Virginia Beach when I bought the silver Barracuda. I went to Wisconsin to look at it and there was still a Georgia 1982 inspection sticker on the windshield. So I asked the seller and he said his Uncle owned it, lived in Georgia and moved to Wisconsin in 1981. Then died a short time later. His sister wouldn't drive it so it sat in a garage. Her son turned into a Chevy guy and eventually mom allowed him to sell it and put the money into his 56 Belair. Win/win.

I got the records through Chrysler Historical and found out it originally sold in Jacksonville FL. Could have been bought by someone living in Georgia since Jacksonville is close. Wish I had all the history.

We loved living in Biloxi but decided to sell our house and move to the Atlanta area after Hurricane Katrina. The people who bought our house in Biloxi had lost their house in the Hurricane.

I retired from the Air Force after 21 years thinking I was too old for the young man's game but quickly realized I could run circles around most civilians!!! Wish I would have stayed for 30...I miss it every day.

Good to meet you!!!

By the way, Steer and Gear received my power steering gear today. Said it should be done in two weeks. Going with their "sport" feel.

By the way, Steer and Gear received my power steering gear today. Said it should be done in two weeks. Going with their "sport" feel.
I had another small leak in the new seal I replaced, so I decided to pull the box. I'm going to send it out for rebuild through Rock Auto where I had the pump rebuilt. Funny, my car was sold new in northern Illinois, I have the original buyers order. My dad bought it used, and took the car to Georgia when he retired. I brought it back to Kansas City when he passed away. It is unrestored, 33K miles.

I had another small leak in the new seal I replaced, so I decided to pull the box. I'm going to send it out for rebuild through Rock Auto where I had the pump rebuilt. Funny, my car was sold new in northern Illinois, I have the original buyers order. My dad bought it used, and took the car to Georgia when he retired. I brought it back to Kansas City when he passed away. It is unrestored, 33K miles.

Sweet!! Sounds like a great car! Very low miles!!

Is it Citron Gold? The 66 Barracuda my parents bought new was Citron Gold.

-
Back