power steering or manual

power steering or manual

• Power steering I like not going in the ditch after a couple cookies

Votes: 32 32.3%
  • manual steering =10hp count me in!!! I work out

Votes: 60 60.6%
  • YOU SPENT MONEY TO LOOSE HP? WHAT KIND OF MOPAR GUY ARE YOU??

Votes: 7 7.1%

• Total voters
-

skep419

No show, all go!
Reaction score
I went through a lot of trouble getting power steering. Its nice when driving a little reckless. Lets start a poll and see what people think!

I vote manual. I thought I would hate manual steering when I bought my 67 cuda. I figured later I could always make it power if I really wanted. I have always had power steering in everything I owned mainly a 68 Charger. It really isn't that bad and the small 3.5 wheels I installed with skinny Mickey Thompsons on the front helped some. So I am happy with the manual steering and don't have to worry about leaks and checking fluid level.

I'll probably be going power as I'll be running 245/60 15's on the front and 275/60 15's on the rear on steel wheels. Parking would be a nightmare with manual steering, although the road feel at speed would be great.

Lots of good stuff on this thread ...

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=33115

I don't know what I'm gonna do w/ my Duster this winter .. I really don't think I'll be needing power steering, since I don't plan on that many street miles. and can just take the belt off at the track .. On the other hand I like the idea of a little less weight, and a cleaner looking engine compartment..

My 72 Duster is manual steering,manual disc brakes,radio delete.Wouldn't change a thing.:cheers:

And what I'm doing. There is no perfect system. For street, I like my system on my Dakota, some feel but plenty of power assist to make it easy. Had a 78 Volare that I use to autocross and ralley with. Couldn't keep up with steering and cost me a lot of points. It was like trying to turn one direction and someone else trying to go the other. My 80 stepside has no feel for the road and if you hit the bumps at the end the fan belt squeals.
Once you get use to manual steering, you know what you got and it doesn't steal horse power.

I didn't vote because there weren't enough options. How about looking for a system with some feedback and and will keep up with my aggressive driving style.

Or better yet, a cute redhead to drive me around or to drive the car while I watch benchracing with others. Or, no wait that don't have anything to do with steering.

Went to a manual box on My car for header clearance,less weight etc.
Never cared for the mopar power steering units with their lack of feel I could never tell where the tires were pointed. I'd driven a couple of cars with a manual box and thought it would be tough to handle . It's not too bad though .The main thing I notice is with power steering I can turn the wheels lock to lock even when at a dead stop . With the manual I can still turn the wheels when stopped even with the fairly sticky 205's I have on the front ,just takes a bit more Umph ! A 15" steering wheel helps I'm sure using the large factory steering wheel would provide much greater leverage.

Manual steering . That is by choice. Tranny is a four gear by choice also !

Power for daily driving. All the Mopars I've owned have been '63-'67 with power steering, very tight, accurate, and no problems with the pump keeping up with the steering. Road feel has never been an issue. Maybe it's all I've ever known so I don't know any better, or the power steering was worse in later cars.

Damn good question. I'm trying to decide myself........

My Duster has factory power steering and power front disc brakes. I like it...and even more considering I'm 16 and it's the first Mopar I've driven.

My car came with p.s. but i changed it to manual took 31 pounds off the frontend doing so and much more control when racing...

I voted for manual because that's what I like but each application is different. Reason O voted manual is I don't like the over assisted power steering (no road feel) our original Mopars have. Also manual drops some weight off the front end and makes it much easier to get headers in. Unfortunately I had to put power steering on our Cuda because my wife likes to drive it too and she's only 98 lbs. so she couldn't turn the manual steering. I did find putting a smaller diameter steering wheel on helped a little to alleviate the over assisted power steering.

Did I mention headers really really suck with that huge power steering box in the way. Never hurts to say it again. LOL

I always liked power steering best, especially if you do a lot of city driving/parking. Except for header clearance, i think it's the way to go.

I like manual in my early A body "66 Valiant /6" it feels good to feel the road and even with a mucked up neck and shoulder she turns and drive great.
But she is a lite little sweet thing

Ralley's 004.jpg

Manual Steering Manual Disks. Sounds crazy, I have always had power both but I have grown to love manual.

I like my manual setup. I thought when I changed from power to the 16:1 box that it was going to suck, but since my headers didn't work well with power I thought o'well. it actually is not bad at all. as long as your not at a dead stop it is fairly easy for me to crank it around pretty quick. I do agree with ramcharger though as a wide front tire car would be a pain if it was on a car you drove regularly.

I just switched to PS because my car is a cruiser and I like the comfort and ease of tight parking. Although I can see the advantages of manual steering I have calmed down a lot over the years.

My Dart had the 16 to 1 manual from the factory and I never even knew it for quite a few years. I just thought it was a bear to turn and even my 4:11 mom used to drive it back in the day.
Later I met some mopar friends and somebody finally clued me in to what it was and how rare a option it is.
The car also had a 383 hood complete with all the chrome and 340 suspension, but no sway bar, and a 904/7 1/4 setup when I got it.
I really like the fast ratio as long as the tires are aired up good and I don't go too wide with em.
I took care of the 904 and 71/4 years ago, about the only thing not to 340 specs now is the original 318 with 175k on it now.

My car came with p.s. but i changed it to manual took 31 pounds off the frontend doing so and much more control when racing...
Yep thats what I done..440 71 dart..2squirrelly with ps...skinny vw tires on front[15 in.] 4" wide wheels...also manual disc brakes..like it

Yep thats what I done..440 71 dart..2squirrelly with ps...skinny vw tires on front[15 in.] 4" wide wheels...also manual disc brakes..like it

Wow!
Wait a go resurrecting a 5 year old thread!
It still is pertinent today though.......

-
Back