Power Steering pump hose

-

Johnjgonzo8D

Reaction score
I was wondering if there would be any negative effect out of using a Radiator heater hose in place of my power steering pump hose. Im assuming that the power steering fluid does not get hotter than the radiator anti freeze and water coolant mix. in conlcusion i think that it should work.

nope , hoses carrying petroleum based products need to be neoprene. Even the lower pressure return hose for p/s fluid needs to be the correct construction if it's going to last any time at all.

the power steering pressure hose can carry as much as 1,000 psi. but normally 700-800 psi.

I recall people have tried heater hose, to ill effect. It softens w/ hot oil. I think the return hose size depends on the p.s. pump (at least in my SB). Early TRW pumps used the largest hose (~1/2"D). The similar-looking Federal pump had a smaller hose (7/16"D?). The fittings on the p.s. gear matched.

I might have one from a 71 225
what motor and pump are you looking at?

Um, "what?" No heater / radiator hose I've ever seen (Except for Studebaker defroster units, but I digress.......) are as small as the normally 5/16---3/8" ID ps hose

As mentioned, the pressure side is VERY high pressure, far more than fuel, general purpose, or any other hose except hydraulic or ............power steering hose

And the return, although low pressure, should have hose suitable for hot oil. "Push lock" or other general purpose hose.

THIS THING is a Studebaker defroster!!!! It uses 3/8" hose, and "Y's" into the heater hoses by means of special tees

rummage%20sale%20finds%200081.jpg

-
Back