Power steering valve body

-

jwilson13b

Reaction score
Hi guys. I finished replaceing my power steering gearbox and pump on my 73 duster. After dealing with the headaches from oreily auto parts. They gave me a gear box the has striped splines on the input shaft. It took me forever to make the guy realize I had the federal pump.
Anyways now it's leaking like a sive at the valve body where the return line clamps on.
Is there a gasket that goes there. When I swaped it, it did not look to have a gasket or silicone. I put a new o-ring, maybe it is the wrong size! The other passage looked like it had a built in rubber gasket. I cleaned the faces real well.
Any suggestions. I haven't taken it apart yet, I wanted to see what you guys on fabo thought first. :banghead:

That's the spool valve. There's no gasket there and do not attempt to use any sealants. It's nothing but an o-ring seal. There's also fore and aft adjustment to it. If it's not in the right position, there's a very good chance the wheels will slam to the left or right when you start the vehicle - so be careful. The bolts have to be just loose enough so you can tap it slightly forward or to the rear where the wheels will stay centered.

Study the section of the service manual I've attached. Note step 18.

Attachments

• PS - Spool valve.pdf
    437.4 KB · Views: 515
Thanks. I will put a new o-ring in it tonight and adjust it. The wheels didn't move when I started it. Will they move by themselves?

Thanks. I will put a new o-ring in it tonight and adjust it. The wheels didn't move when I started it. Will they move by themselves?

Is the car on Jackstands? If so, the wheels will turn by themselves if the valve is not centered correctly.

Yeah, you should get it up on jack stands so you can see what the wheels want to do.

-
Back