Power terminal question

-

straightlinespeed

Sometimes I pretend to be normal
Reaction score
2 part question here. So Im rewiring my car and I have multiple things (electric fan relays, headlight relays, etc...) wired under the hood, under the battery tray. The 3 relays all need to run to a 12v power source. I didnt want to run them all to the starter relay stud, just because I will already have 2 large wires on that. Would it be ok to install a junction stud like below somewhere under the hood? Then if so how would I protect that stud so that nothing touches it? If that is not a good idea, how should I terminate all these wires?

View attachment stud.jpg

2nd part of the question is that the relays all have fuses installed on the 12ga. wire that will be terminated at the 12v source. Im assuming this is protection enough for the circuit and I dont have to install a fusable link wire.

2 part question here. So Im rewiring my car and I have multiple things (electric fan relays, headlight relays, etc...) wired under the hood, under the battery tray. The 3 relays all need to run to a 12v power source. I didnt want to run them all to the starter relay stud, just because I will already have 2 large wires on that. Would it be ok to install a junction stud like below somewhere under the hood? Then if so how would I protect that stud so that nothing touches it? If that is not a good idea, how should I terminate all these wires?

View attachment 1714718711

2nd part of the question is that the relays all have fuses installed on the 12ga. wire that will be terminated at the 12v source. Im assuming this is protection enough for the circuit and I dont have to install a fusable link wire.

Look around a bit and you find all sorts of interesting things that may work....

http://www.delcity.net/store/6-Way-Bus-Bar/p_801497

and as to the circuit protection question, I have always just fused the relay power feed wire...

My power source is the BATT' stud on the alternator My relays are in a enclosure on the right inner fender too, nearly opposite yours. You could run a wire from to though.
Under dash electrical is all the "difficult to service" I need. Under the battery and battery tray are about the last place I would add anything.

I use wing nut terminals on the battery and run a large power cable to a power fuse module (Waytek P/N 46096). It has 2 fused outputs that are then routed to the relays for the main power. This is one I'm currently building using an old avionics "black box" rack for a mount.

Attachments

• Mopar Wiring 060small.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 86
Find something like this. They come in red and black.

http://www.waytekwire.com/item/23508/BATTERY-BOOT-18-10-GA-BLACK/

With most any circuit make sure there is some form protection present.

Thanks for that link, That would for sure work

Look around a bit and you find all sorts of interesting things that may work....

http://www.delcity.net/store/6-Way-Bus-Bar/p_801497

and as to the circuit protection question, I have always just fused the relay power feed wire...

Thanks for this link, that is a good idea also!

My power source is the BATT' stud on the alternator My relays are in a enclosure on the right inner fender too, nearly opposite yours. You could run a wire from to though.
Under dash electrical is all the "difficult to service" I need. Under the battery and battery tray are about the last place I would add anything.

You have my thinking now, but I like the fact that they are "hidden" and they are easily accessible from under the car. But this is still a option to move them so I will look into this further.

I use wing nut terminals on the battery and run a large power cable to a power fuse module (Waytek P/N 46096). It has 2 fused outputs that are then routed to the relays for the main power. This is one I'm currently building using an old avionics "black box" rack for a mount.

Thats a nice set up, I'll check out that P/N you gave me.

Thanks everyone!

I use the isolated studs from late 60's to late 90's GM's sourced from the junkyard. Pick-ups usually have a two-post version on the firewall. Cars will have a single post version on the firewall or on the core support. They have 'fingers' that surround the stud to protect it from accidental contact and still allow the wires to reach it. Perhaps not as absolute as a boot, but I've never had a problem with one in ~20 years of using them.

-
Back