Power to Manual steering box ..shaft / adapter?

-

440DART1970

1970 Dart 446ci Swinger
Reaction score
Need advice...1970 Dodge Dart, I went from power steering to manual steering bought a manual box and a manual pot box coupler but the steering column is still too short.. should I extend the column by breaking off the small stuff inside or should I buy the adapter from Mancini

20170323_193649.jpg

20170323_193639.jpg

Mancini sells the adapter but you need to use the PS coupler.
I have both power steering and manual coupler.... but won't the shaft slide out? a lot of people have mixed feelings

Just extend the column! Don't waste your money on the adapter! Just put a pair of vice grips on the shaft above the coupler and hit on it towards the steering box until you get it where you need it! Probably 30 minute project.

that doesn't look like the coupler will give you that much , how much can you give up on the on the column yet twards the dash?

Just extend the column! Don't waste your money on the adapter! Just put a pair of vice grips on the shaft above the coupler and hit on it towards the steering box until you get it where you need it! Probably 30 minute project.
Everyone saying not to do it that way I think it's not a problem either but it makes me worry about mesing up column..

Everyone saying not to do it that way I think it's not a problem either but it makes me worry about mesing up column..
I did it to my 69 Dart about 15 years ago and haven't had any problems with it yet. The only thing that will get messed up is some nylon plastic that is in the collapsible shaft. Not a big deal!

I did it to my 69 Dart about 15 years ago and haven't had any problems with it yet. The only thing that will get messed up is some nylon plastic that is in the collapsible shaft. Not a big deal!
I have the adapter that you need listed in the parts for sale section, and so does Firm Feel,, they want 125.00,, my new not used firm feel part is less,, if you can't find the ad send me a mesage and I will find it for you, I can also send a photo of the same adapter used to fit a power steering shaft to a manual box.

I have the adapter that you need listed in the parts for sale section, and so does Firm Feel,, they want 125.00,, my new not used firm feel part is less,, if you can't find the ad send me a mesage and I will find it for you, I can also send a photo of the same adapter used to fit a power steering shaft to a manual box.
Pm sent

Firm feel will trade a column adapter for your old power steering box.

I went from power steering to manual ,I got the manual box mounted to my K frame the column is in the car do I use the power steering rag joint and any suggestions on how to install it I can't get it to go into the rag joint

Just a thought, is the 70 column collapsible? What year did that start?

-
Back