Pre bent line or do it myself?

-

Kllrbee

Reaction score
Replacing front brakes, rotors, caliper, etc. Noticed that previous owner did a number on the drivers side brake line bolt. Its basically stripped already, no point in trying to save it. All the other lines are in good shape. Was wondering if you guys know if somewhere just sells the lines individually. I dont need the whole kit.
Or should I just go to the parts store and grab a copper nickel one and bend it myself. Luckily its the shortest one.
Thanks for your advice.

I would go to the parts store and buy a copper nickel line and bend it myself.

I like prebent lines myself. I only bend them myself when I’m Stranded need to do it.

Depends on your desired end state, skill level and available tools. The Nicopp stuff is easy to bend but you end not to get real crisp bend like you do with steel. I just bent some for the front of a 69 ply wagon and used Nicopp bc the engine was was still in and it was easier to use Nicopp to get it in and make small adjustments to get it to fit nicely.

I bent a Drivers side line... it's the easiest one!

drvr side.jpg

That was fast! Thanks guys.
Ill check with Right Stuff first. If not, Ill grab the parts store niccop. No biggie either way. Just figured Id ask cuz I had just noticed it and it irked me that he would reuse that line.

Just out of curiosity...
How does niccop tubing standup to vibration?

Is it designed for brake applications?

If you make your own lines you might not have the protective spring like cover

Yes I would always recommend the spring like gravel guard in areas under the car where the tires can fling up road debris and damage a line. I bought my gravel guard in stainless steel off evilbay from inline tube, along with a 50 foot coil of brake line tube and SAE fittings

Problem with the pre made lines is they seem to be to long or short. I bought a quality OTC flaring kit years ago and make my own. I had to laugh at you @moparmat2000, I can’t tell you how many beautiful lines I’ve made and either forgot the nut or it slid down to the other end after 3-4 bends.

Roy, I never had issue making lines. I plumbed 2 vehicles front to back. 1960 el camino I upgraded with dual circuit master and front disc brakes, and a 1963 dodge town panel with similar updated braking system. I only did that 2 times with the fitting nut. After that I never forgot. I may buy the nice flare kit from Eastwood.

I'm making 8 3/4 lines often. I'll bet I have left the nut off or let the fit slide to the opposite end before I bend it, like 10 times over many years.

I bent a Drivers side line... it's the easiest one!

View attachment 1715663438
I've done the same after snapping a line on my Bird getting it ready for the 50th Anniversary of the Aero car event. Didn't have time for a line to be shipped to me and wanted it to look OE from a distance. A roll of stainless safety wire is your friend..
superbirdcleanup20182019 378.JPG

superbirdcleanup20182019 382.JPG
superbirdcleanup20182019 388.JPG

If you are just doing a repair bend it yourself. If you are building/restoring a car or replacing a line on a restored c
I've done the same after snapping a line on my Bird getting it ready for the 50th Anniversary of the Aero car event. Didn't have time for a line to be shipped to me and wanted it to look OE from a distance. A roll of stainless safety wire is your friend..
View attachment 1715663549
View attachment 1715663546 View attachment 1715663547
Nicely done.

They actually are cheap enough to buy pre bent, unless you just like the DIY aspect of it all.

Product List

I would only buy Stainless. remember to install lines on calipers while the are loose on car . Once the threads are started and snugged then bolt it all together.

20190331_175936.jpg

DSCN1101.JPG

DSCN1100.JPG

I think anyone who has made their own brake lines, has made the mistake of flaring them, bending them & forgetting to put the flare nut on. I know I have.

Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with pre-bent lines. It just seems much easier to me than trying to get your bends and flares right. I would at least recommend checking out Inline Tubes. I think they sell all of the individual pre-bent lines. I put those on my 69 Dart and have no complaints. One recommendation-if you want to be able to bend them later, factory OEM metal is much easier than stainless (probably a statement of the obvious).

-
Back