Preferred Engine Oil for your 72 340 Mopar

-
I run Mobil 5w-30 full synthetic. Zinc isn't an issue for me because I have a full roller setup.

rotella T 10-30 with a 1/3 dose of ZDDP. Rotella T by itself has a nice level of ZDDP 1000 ppm, has excellent protection against oxidation and sludge, and is cheap to buy by the gallon. It is a really heavy duty oil.

Perfect.

With the exception that it would be better if it was 5w30. But at 12-13 dollars a gallon I reckon to take it slightly easy on cold starts.

or a good synthetic 5w30 with a full bottle of zddp. Expensive as hell. Last for ever.

What do you do with the engine / car? What is your rear end gear? Do you have a thermostat in it? What temp?
What is the max / min temp where you live?

Just out of curiosity.

Usually with a good thermostat and a good working cooling system, you can run synthetic 5w30 or if you prefer thicker, 5w40 all year round as the engine temp will be constant after it gets past the cold start or hot start, so your oil viscosity should be stable as well.

I live in a moderate climate where it never gets below 30 and I keep the car in my shop so it is never actually 30 in my oil pan. So, I can get by year around with 10w30 rotella T.

I run Mobil 5w-30 full synthetic. Zinc isn't an issue for me because I have a full roller setup.

Just lost a set of near new T&D rockers - T&D claimed it was because of the oil .... I used only Mobil 1 15W50 which "IS" fortified with zinc and phosphorus but they claimed it was not enough. Researching all this led me to the conclusion that roller cams and rockers need the high zinc levels too - especially as your cam size and spring pressures go up. The new set will be broke in with a high zinc break in oil and only high zinc oils afterwards.

this
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Valvoline-VV851-Racing-STREET-Bottles/dp/B000GAP42I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327897094&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Valvoline VV851 Racing 20W50 NOT STREET LEGAL Motor Oil, Pack of Six 1 Quart Bottles: Automotive[/ame]

hmm it went up $7 from just 2 weeks ago, i know cause I got a case for spring

Just lost a set of near new T&D rockers - T&D claimed it was because of the oil .... I used only Mobil 1 15W50 which "IS" fortified with zinc and phosphorus but they claimed it was not enough. Researching all this led me to the conclusion that roller cams and rockers need the high zinc levels too - especially as your cam size and spring pressures go up. The new set will be broke in with a high zinc break in oil and only high zinc oils afterwards.

15w50 is way too thick. Unless you are cold starting in 135 degree F, middle east every time.

Oil flow is more important than anything.
Thick oil fails to effectively flow to upper engine. Burns up cam, lifters, rockers.

Run 5w30 or 5w40 synthetic, optimally.

Look up cold start viscosity.
Followed by hot viscosity.
Also viscosity consistency.

Synthetics with a 5wXX are best in all the above.

-
Back