Pretty sure I made correct decision on "Dodge Ram seller from hell"

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
Found this "appears to be nice, really nice" 08 RAM with only 60+K some good hi rez photos, but he wanted PLENTY. Well I thought "so be it"

So he works in my old home town about 50mi away, I figured I could kill several birds, have lunch up there with a friend, etc.

I talked on Sunday, obviously the banks are not open. Got online and requested an investments transfer of 15K, THAT'S RIGHT FIFTEEN BIG ONES into my local checking account, and explained to him that "might take a day or two"

So he was going to meet me AT HIS OFFICE in the town at 9AM today. But we had some discussions which, last night, kinda put me off. Like, example, "scheduling" he seemed in a big rush a REALLY big rush as he's "retiring and leaving town"

But he DID offer to deliver the truck.

So I said "well I could look it over, and if I buy, give you a sizable deposit, you could deliver it at your convenience the NEXT FEW DAYS no rush" and I'll give you a bank draft or we can run up to my bank

SO NOW the dickiness starts to come out: "Well it's not about taking a deposit it's about selling the truck"

And he made another comment alluding to I would pay him up there and he would then follow me to my place. No I'm sorry, if you have 15K of my money and you still have the truck that is not "it." We will settle WHEN the truck is SITTING at MY HOUSE, because YOU offered to DELIVER IT

So I was beginning to feel like I was getting the bum's rush. This would have been THE MOST money I've ever spent on a "rig" ever

So this morning, after getting online and finding that the funds are "pending" and of course the bank is CLOSED still, I ended up headed up the road to my parent's old place and my friend's house at 8:45, and was just thinking of a "place to land" where I could call this guy. And he calls me.

So I told him I had to take time to deal with the funds transfer and that the bank is not open yet and he just ******* goes ballistic about how "I could have called him" (When? 6AM?) to let him know and how "he'd made a special trip to meet me" (a whole hour early to his workplace) and bla bla bla

So I had enough (Some of you know me) and just said WELLLLLLLL OOOOOOOOOOH KKKKAAAYY! And hung up the phone

I knew I had made the correct decision when he later sent this:

"
We had an appointment at 9:00. I came is as requested - by YOU. I don't come to work at that time.

You did not exercise the responsibility to call and cancel that appointment.

You blame all that on your funds transfer. "It's not my fault." You said.

Then you hang up the phone instead of saying that you're sorry you didn't call to cancel.

"It's not my fault" "I'm 70 years old" - no, those are not ideas to live by. And don't ever complain about the younger generation, it is the old farts who are entitled and irresponsible.

You no longer qualify to purchase my truck
."

I had told him I wanted to check the bank situation and that was not good enough. He's selling a 15K vehicle and can't spare ONE HOUR of time early for his workplace?

..........RANT MAIN SWITCH OFF..........

off-switch-1-png.png

You dodged a bullet. $15,000 is about 150 % of what a 2008 truck would be worth unless it was a Diesel 4x4. Even then, it is an 11 year old truck.

I have had a couple interactions like that with sellers and glad I passed on them.

When I bought my 2017 Ram and traded in my 07 ram 1500 4X4 5.7 HEMI I got $8,000.00 for it, it did not have a speck of rust anywhere but it did have 180,000 miles on it and I thought that was pretty respectable. $15,000.00 for an 08 WOW!!!

When I bought my 2017 Ram and traded in my 07 ram 1500 4X4 5.7 HEMI I got $8,000.00 for it, it did not have a speck of rust anywhere but it did have 180,000 miles on it and I thought that was pretty respectable. $15,000.00 for an 08 WOW!!!

You better check prices. Pickups at least here have gone up. This only had 60some K on it and the price is "right there" in the Kelly "private sale" range.

A 11 year old truck with only 60k miles sounds good, but i have a sister who works at a dodge dealership, i found a 2010 dakota that owner said had 54000 miles, i got the vin, had my sister run it thru their computer and it showed a recall 4 years earlier on the truck , work performed was at 88000 miles, so you do the math.By the way i have a 2008 Ram 1500 i bought 5 years ago at a dealership with 60000 miles, paid cash and got it for $10000, so unless the one you found is immaculate , he is over on it's value. kbb shows value with every option and hemi , at $12000 but only 3% of trucks that age are execellent, 23% at very good brings it down to tops at $10500

Last edited:
The Cummins is fer haulin/ towin. I want something smaller for 'everyday'. Actually a moredoor RAM was not my first choice. I would LIKE a mid size such as Dakota, but I really don't like most of the newer OHC "V" engines, and CERTAINLY don't like the Dodge 3.7/ 4.7. Hell I'm all over the map. Been thinking of buying the latest "decent" Dakota I can find with a 3.9, and just fix it up. I HAD a nice Ranger 'till someone wrecked it for me. I swore off GM because if the intake problem, but I'm even thinking more and more of an LS Silverado. Hell I don't know.

Tacomas are over priced, LOL, maybe a Frontier. There are few choices around here, "low miles." By that I mean hopefully under 100K or not much over.

And,,,,...............I don't want a regular cab. The other killer is that "I guess" NObody makes anything 4x4 anymore with front hubs. So you get to pay the gas mileage penalty while you wear out the front end

You can see I'm not well organized LOL

Toyota and Nissan are decent trucks but they suck gas like nobodies business. Kim

I just picked up a new Tacoma, 4cyl for parts chasing duties, worst tank of fuel so far has been 22mpg, and best tank 28mpg.
In my opinion it does not suck gas like my 17 ram, 10 mpg.

The Cummins is fer haulin/ towin. I want something smaller for 'everyday'. Actually a moredoor RAM was not my first choice. I would LIKE a mid size such as Dakota, but I really don't like most of the newer OHC "V" engines, and CERTAINLY don't like the Dodge 3.7/ 4.7. Hell I'm all over the map. Been thinking of buying the latest "decent" Dakota I can find with a 3.9, and just fix it up. I HAD a nice Ranger 'till someone wrecked it for me. I swore off GM because if the intake problem, but I'm even thinking more and more of an LS Silverado. Hell I don't know.

Tacomas are over priced, LOL, maybe a Frontier. There are few choices around here, "low miles." By that I mean hopefully under 100K or not much over.

And,,,,...............I don't want a regular cab. The other killer is that "I guess" NObody makes anything 4x4 anymore with front hubs. So you get to pay the gas mileage penalty while you wear out the front end

You can see I'm not well organized LOL

Well I can't argue with you on the 3.7 and 4.7, garbage in my opinion.

I get your dilemma, tho. Hope you find something.

Del , I would have made damn sure that he was aware that your money was far to good to fall into the hands of such an asshole

-
Back