preventing headers from hitting pavement

-

skep419

No show, all go!
Reaction score
I would like to lower the stance on the dart. Is there anyway to limit the suspension so it bottoms out before the headers do?

If you're lowering the car, hopefully you're upgrading the torsion bars too. Otherwise you'll spend plenty of time on the stock height bumpstops.

where i live we have some crappy roads and i dented my headers early on after putting the car together .i pulled the dents out as best i could and then welded a piece of steel plate over where they get hit and it acts as a skid plate .works so far nothing else bent

By lowering it I mean back to stock height. I have .890 bars in it. Header skid plate sounds like a better idea hahaha

By lowering it I mean back to stock height. I have .890 bars in it. Header skid plate sounds like a better idea hahaha

What headers are they? My car sits low enough and it has the old Hedman "Huslers" on it. They hang LOW too.

Attachments

• phpP1YurrPM.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 297
  • php8BoLsxPM.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 286
  • php3DJDlcPM.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 289

i would go at least .990 bars. our cars are grossly under sprung from the facotry. i have a 67 dart with a 383. alum heads, intake, water pump and housing. alum radiator and the .990 bars in my car still seem soft. my car weighs #2890 with the big block and i want stiffer bars still.

i would go at least .990 bars. our cars are grossly under sprung from the facotry. i have a 67 dart with a 383. alum heads, intake, water pump and housing. alum radiator and the .990 bars in my car still seem soft. my car weighs #2890 with the big block and i want stiffer bars still.

Exactly. 1" bars from Just Suspension or the 1.03's from PST would be a great idea. Even at stock ride height. You'd be amazed how much better your car will handle too.

My old Hooker Comps hit every dime in the road, and my car sits fairly high. When I put in the 408 I went with TTi headers that go above the center link. I used to have 6 1/2 inches of clearance, but went to true 3" rolled pipe and had to move it down a bit, so now I have 5 3/4 inches of clearance. They have never hit anywhere, not once. And I have access to my spark plugs which I never had with my Hookers.

My old Hooker Comps hit every dime in the road, and my car sits fairly high. When I put in the 408 I went with TTi headers that go above the center link. I used to have 6 1/2 inches of clearance, but went to true 3" rolled pipe and had to move it down a bit, so now I have 5 3/4 inches of clearance. They have never hit anywhere, not once. And I have access to my spark plugs which I never had with my Hookers.

You forget to mention you spent a pretty penny on them as well. ;)

currently running headman painted headers. who has the best deal on d453's? Coated or uncoated? also i plan to buy a wideband o2 reader eventually. Can I weld in a bung after the collector and still get a good reading.

Money spent well and wisely.

X2
I learned the hard way, I put new hooker headers in and had to wrestle
an elephant (that what it felt like) Finally got them in. Then I seen underneath. Totally disappointed, they were way to low and hit the steering
linkage. WHAT A WASTE OF MONEY!
Bought TTI'S ceramic coated polished ones and they were a dream to
put in and do not hang low.
"Money spent well and wisely" so true rumblefish360.

Darryl

scampstance2.jpg

oc18.jpg

chrisdart2.jpg

attachment.php

side-shot.jpg

The first couple were what I was going for 10 years ago.

scampstance2.jpg

oc18.jpg

chrisdart2.jpg

attachment.php

side-shot.jpg

The first couple were what I was going for 10 years ago.
Spending some money, or in the case of the HEMI cars you posted, lots of it, will go along way in getting what you desire.

-
Back