Primer for bare metal on my 67

-

68383GTS

Reaction score
What would be a good primer to spray on my 67 Barracuda.I am taking it down to bare metal.The place where I am buying the primer sells Sikkens and PPG.A self etching or epoxy primer.Or do they make a self etching epoxy primer? I want a good quality primer that is going to last for years.
Also the backside of my lower quarter has some pitting.What is the best thing to do there to stop the rust.And what would be the best primer to use in that area?I was going to talk to the paint suppy store ,but I thought I would get some input here.

Thanks,Jim

Here is the lower quarter it has a good amount of pitting but is still solid.

Attachments

• formula S #6 005.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 166
  • formula S #6 006.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 176
If you use the PPG line I would suggest DPLF, which is a good epoxy primer, self etching primers are not really for rust resistance and you put them on in a very thin "see through" coat. Etch primers are exactly what they sound like, an acid based primer that bites or eats its way into the metal for adhesion. It really should be only used in area's where you cannot provide mechanical adhesion like a good sand scratch. One thing to remember about epoxy primer is that it does NOT sand, they sand like bubble gum. So if you do use them I suggest next coating an epoxy with a good sandable primer surfacer. Some people will tell you to do your bodywork over the epoxy and just scuff it up, but in my experience it doesn't work worth a hoot and causes you more work in the end. Another route you can go with is NCP 270 PPG Surfacing primer... some surface primers are corrosion resistant, some are not. NCP is, and is very good at corrosion resistance. I would say NCP is a 9 out of 10 for corrosion resistance, adding epoxy before would be a 10 out of 10. As far as the pitting, the best way to remove rust is blasting, you can get small spot blasters that work good for small areas, but remember they cause heat to a panel and you do not want to go too high on a panel as it will warp from the heat.

Ok, your photo's just loaded, since it's so open I would sand blast those area's really well, then degrease with a good wax and grease remover, and spray as state above.

So maybe a self etch primer for the top and bottom sides of the floor pans.And NCP 270 or a surface primer for the main body.I plan on doing alot of block because I want it straight as possible.I plan on painting it black.

One thing you can do for your floor pans is scuff them before you put them in, that way you can do it easy, they are usually coated in black primer and for good adhesion all you need is a red scotch bright pad. Get them to fit, punch or drill your plug welds then scuff them up. What do you plan on doing for the bottom of the car? Painting it? If it's not something you are painting body color I wouldn't waste the cost of epoxy or sandable primers on the floor pans. I have always used the NCP primer over bare metal with no problems, it is very high fill, does tend to clog paper up a bit when you sand it because of it's clay content. It's a pretty thick primer so it works well for board sanding before paint. You can put a little reducer in the first coat to let it soak into filler and sand scratches. I don't like to suggest etch primers as they are really terrible for your health regarless of resperators worn.

brush on some kbs coatings or por 15 on that pitted rust area and forget about it.

I'd sandblast that rust then use a good epoxy then top coat with a 2k primer.
Oh and don't forget to use metal prep on all bare metal before the epoxy!!!!

-
Back