Pro Stock. The good old days

-
This car 'CRAZEE CUDA" last raced Pro-Stock in '71. I was a one man crew for Lee Smith in '72. He was pretty much out of it by then, did 3 or 4 local tracks once in awhile. Ran 2 different engines, 426 and a 305 cu in Hemi's. C/gas and E/gas. Understand the car may be in Florida now. These pictures were the day from Moline, IL to Eddyville, IA dragstrip. Ray Murphy's Challenger in back drop. Those were the days. Swore that I would never post again after the other day, but here I am.

View attachment 1716040634

View attachment 1716040635

View attachment 1716040636

View attachment 1716040637

View attachment 1716040638

View attachment 1716040639
Maybe a 396 or 366 Hemi, but no 305.
The 305 is LA size.

IIRC Wick's car was called "The Matchmaker".

I really would like to see the new FX class replace Pro Stock.
Yes Wick's car was the Matchmaker. He was from Fond du Lac, WI. His son still has the engine shop.

Prostock? The GOAT.
Bob and Etta Glidden.jpg

Back in the 70s, Clyde Hodges (Carlton's right hand man) was cutting the head bolt pieces out of blown up Hemi blocks and welding them into 383 blocks to create a shorter stroke 396 cubic inch Hemi. He said that was their best running engine ever.
What intake would be used on such a set up? Something (tunnel ram wouldn't be too difficult) cut up and rewelded I would assume.

What intake would be used on such a set up? Something (tunnel ram wouldn't be too difficult) cut up and rewelded I would assume.
I don't know anything about the intakes. I just remember seeing one of the bare blocks he was working on.

A Friend of mine has the last set of 4.84 pso heads, and the last intake they built.
Somewhere out there is a ford video, showing what Bob Glidden was doing to his heads, in a part of it the guy explains how Glidden modified the w2 heads to be like his Cleveland based combo.
Are there any pictures out there of Glidden's W2s? Even a picture with the valve covers off? It would be interesting to see the extent of the modifications.

Glidden was taking raw castings and almost re-casting them so he could make the chambers the way he wanted them. He had an oven to heat the raw iron castings so he could braze them up and re-machine them to his liking. Not sure if he was doing that for the W2s but definitely for the Ford stuff. It was not surprising but still eye opening to see the lengths he went to.

I learned about all that from this video below. The guy making the videos is kind of obsessed (in a good way) with Glidden Pro Stock History. He goes pretty deep into some stuff.

Glidden was taking raw castings and almost re-casting them so he could make the chambers the way he wanted them. He had an oven to heat the raw iron castings so he could braze them up and re-machine them to his liking. Not sure if he was doing that for the W2s but definitely for the Ford stuff. It was not surprising but still eye opening to see the lengths he went to.

I learned about all that from this video below. The guy making the videos is kind of obsessed (in a good way) with Glidden Pro Stock History. He goes pretty deep into some stuff.

Yup, looks like mopar stuff to me. LOL From my unused/complete Glidden SB mopar.

Glidden engine 1.jpg

Glidden engine 5.jpg

Yup, looks like mopar stuff to me. LOL From my unused/complete Glidden SB mopar.
Sorry if I am misreading but are you confirming that he was using the same type of chamber and port re-shaping ideas for his Chrysler stuff?

Back when these cars were running 8.50’s it’s not that they were going that fast. It’s the fact that they were going that fast mostly within the rules with mostly hand made junk.

They all did stuff like that but Glidden's home brew junk was just that much better. He had some pretty astute ideas on how to optimize what he had to work with. Probably similar to Jenkins in a lot of ways. What came out must have looked unusual or Frankenstein-ish or even suspect but they worked.

Sorry if I am misreading but are you confirming that he was using the same type of chamber and port re-shaping ideas for his Chrysler stuff?
Did you see the canted valves? I don't see oval ports, either. Honestly , I've haven't disassembled the engine, but with the valve-covers and intake off....it doesn't really look like mopar stuff. The rockers don't look like anything mass-produced, that's for sure.

Did you see the canted valves? I don't see oval ports, either. Honestly , I've haven't disassembled the engine, but with the valve-covers and intake off....it doesn't really look like mopar stuff. The rockers don't look like anything mass-produced, that's for sure.

Thats all Chrysler stuff. It’s nothing trick. Except maybe the port work is, but it would take some time to see what they are.

No, the canted valves did not register at first glance. Hard to see the rocker gear but it could be just W2 stuff? They almost look too new, like T&D.

Obviously the whole thing is epoxy so he was clearly deep into these parts but to the extent that he was reshaping and moving the chambers like on the Cleveland stuff? It's hard to tell. I suppose canted valves would be a give-away so yeah, probably... He understood what he was getting into when he switched so he must have been OK doing the work to get them where he wanted them.

Non-oval parts you'd expect because he was way beyond what the original shapes and sizes would have been able to provide for his application - the ports were probably the first thing he changed. The castings they gave him were essentially a blank canvas. Lot of time and effort to do this type of thing to more than one set of heads!

Imagine running Fords at or near the top of the heap of the most competitive class in drag racing for however long then doing a 180 by going to another brand and winning the title the same season you switched. That's just unbelievable.

The rockers are 1979, and hand made. They're pretty crude with machine-tool marks. If completely disassembled, I'm sure there's lots of surprises. It's complete, from carbs to dry-sump tank.
Mr. Glidden is the GOAT of prostock.

Glidden engine 3.jpg

Glidden engine 2.jpg

Glidden W2 accessories.jpg

Glidden W2.jpg

The rockers are 1979, and hand made. They're pretty crude with machine-tool marks. If completely disassembled, I'm sure there's lots of surprises. It's complete, from carbs to dry-sump tank.

View attachment 1716044335

View attachment 1716044339

View attachment 1716044325

View attachment 1716044326

Those rockers look like the very first versions of the Crane Gold rockers and what was the blue MP rockers.

Pretty cool stuff. I’d love (HINT HINT) to see inside the manifold.

Looks like he was running a panevac system like Jenkins used. I use a variant of that today.

View attachment 1716044335

View attachment 1716044339

View attachment 1716044325

View attachment 1716044326
So cool! Pretty wild you have that motor. He was the greatest, no doubt, just a brilliant and driven guy. Not many out there like him in any walk of life let alone drag racing.

Just to get this straight - he was re-engineering cast-iron cylinder head chambers and ports including altering the as-cast valve angles AND making his own rocker arms by himself. Jeez!

Any clue what the rocker ratio or offset could be? Are the valves real long? Wonder what he thought of the old Poly 319 holdover 59 degree lifter angle.

So, I was a Glidden fan for the couple years he drove a Plymouth. But consider how many career ProStock wins he would have if he raced today with 20 plus national events per year instead of 8.

Greg Anderson. :icon_fU:

Warren Johnson. :icon_fU:

View attachment 1716044239

View attachment 1716044240
I guess the rules were extremely loose but, then again, Wally Booth was putting 2 AMC heads together to make one high port head. With all the epoxy and brazing, they had to be worried about a major blow up all the time, but all that stuff seemed to hold up well.

I wonder what Glidden would have done with a Hemi?

I guess the rules were extremely loose but, then again, Wally Booth was putting 2 AMC heads together to make one high port head. With all the epoxy and brazing, they had to be worried about a major blow up all the time, but all that stuff seemed to hold up well.

I wonder what Glidden would have done with a Hemi?
I actually seen those heads. Didn't all register back then. Pretty cool stuff for sure.

-
Back