Pro Stock. The good old days

-
X-block. 1979. Coincidental? ...... Bought it from a car and parts flipper. It wasn't something I needed, but top-shelf of that particular "cool range" of stuff. Gonna clean up the outside, and display or sell it. Inside looks like it was assembled yesterday. The outside is dusty.

Yup, looks like mopar stuff to me. LOL From my unused/complete Glidden SB mopar.

View attachment 1716044239

View attachment 1716044240
Kind of trivial with everything else going on there, but along with needing to have a differently clocked (twisted) valve end of the rocker to match the valve tip, it would seem that the valve end of a shaft mounted rocker would have a hard time following the canted valve especially since the valve lift was probably 0.800"+
Or, more simply, could you post a picture of the valve side of the rocker?

The engine is wrapped and buried in the back of my shop. It would take most of a day to get it out and open some stuff up. I haven't done any "car-work", for almost a year. Last year was **** for me. I'm getting mobile and slowly stronger....but I only had about 10 "good" days last year. Gotta get some strength and stability, back. That engine isn't a priority. I'd sell it to a seriously interest party. No bullshitters or tire-kickers.

Got ya. I appreciate you posting the pictures that you had. I'm glad you're making progress on strength and stability--I had no knowledge of your health issues.

They
WJ never cheated. Neither did Glidden. I forget which one of Glidden‘s kids that told him most guys were cheating but it was near the end of his career and he was qualifying at the bottom of the show.

So the kid hooked up the nitrous and hid it like some were and he went out and qualified close to the top of the field.

Bob made him take it off right after that but the car passed tech after that run.

I think there were a scant few not cheating. WJ, KJ and Glidden are 3 come to mind.
They Have a interview on DragBoss Garage(YouTube) with Billy Glidden explaining the details of how he was almost caught himself when a tech inspector had his hands on the back cage bars and was commenting how cold they got after a run(nitrous inside) but never caught on. Bob was completely against it. But it's all in detail in the interview and that many teams were doing it.

Last edited:
The engine is wrapped and buried in the back of my shop. It would take most of a day to get it out and open some stuff up. I haven't done any "car-work", for almost a year. Last year was **** for me. I'm getting mobile and slowly stronger....but I only had about 10 "good" days last year. Gotta get some strength and stability, back. That engine isn't a priority. I'd sell it to a seriously interest party. No bullshitters or tire-kickers.
Great thanks for sharing! I was just about to do a seperate post about this. I seen these pictures on a recent Drag Boss posting about the Arrow. Super cool that you have it! I screen shot every picture they showed of the engine! I'm still a bit young being only two in 79 but definitely appreciate the history! And still amazed of what they did with what they had!

-
Back