Pro Stock. The good old days

-
I remember when the Wayne County shop was vandalized. I don't think they ever found out who did that and some people speculated it was an inside job. I know that pretty much did them in.
Remember it clearly.
I went to the Summernationals to see those cars kick *** the weekend after the "break-in".
No Show... What a cluster **** and a major disappointment.

I did get to see (and hear) those cars at Palm Beach Raceway back in April of 2022.
IMG_2530.JPG

My dad and uncle were very good friends with Geoffrion. And that is no exaggeration. They would go every year to a few national events and the entire weekend was spent in the pits with Geoffrion and Alderman. As I got older and got more into drag racing, I was finally allowed to go with them to a national event. 13 years old (Pretty sure), and Scott treated me like I was his son. By the time I got to meet Scott, he was driving for Nitrofish and I was waxing his car in the pit area while my dad and uncle assisted with the rest of the car. My first ever national event, Scott made it to the final and ended up losing to Greg Anderson. That was the year Greg Anderson really took off in pro stock. I believe it was 2003 but don't quote me. That race was also Jason Line's first race and he actually crashed during qualifying.

Both my uncle and dad were at the race when Eckman's car had the explosion. They said how lucky they were no one got hurt or killed because of how violent the explosion was. When I was a very young child, my dad was offered a job with Eicke Motorsports, working with Scott and Darrell. Scott actually talked my dad out of taking the job. Scott explained he would never be home to see me or my sister grow up and that was something Scott experienced in his short life due to his racing career. Scott didn't want to see my dad go down that path. That advice stopped my dad from taking the job, thankfully. As awesome as it would have been to have a dad who worked for a pro stock team, I am very thankful my dad wasn't gone when I was a kid. Now, I drive him nuts on a daily basis about drag racing and I drag him all over the place while I race, lol.

I asked my dad to send me some photos he has hanging in the basement so I can share them. Scott and Darrell were great guys. Scott will always be missed by my family.

My dad and uncle were very good friends with Geoffrion. And that is no exaggeration. They would go every year to a few national events and the entire weekend was spent in the pits with Geoffrion and Alderman. As I got older and got more into drag racing, I was finally allowed to go with them to a national event. 13 years old (Pretty sure), and Scott treated me like I was his son. By the time I got to meet Scott, he was driving for Nitrofish and I was waxing his car in the pit area while my dad and uncle assisted with the rest of the car. My first ever national event, Scott made it to the final and ended up losing to Greg Anderson. That was the year Greg Anderson really took off in pro stock. I believe it was 2003 but don't quote me. That race was also Jason Line's first race and he actually crashed during qualifying.

Both my uncle and dad were at the race when Eckman's car had the explosion. They said how lucky they were no one got hurt or killed because of how violent the explosion was. When I was a very young child, my dad was offered a job with Eicke Motorsports, working with Scott and Darrell. Scott actually talked my dad out of taking the job. Scott explained he would never be home to see me or my sister grow up and that was something Scott experienced in his short life due to his racing career. Scott didn't want to see my dad go down that path. That advice stopped my dad from taking the job, thankfully. As awesome as it would have been to have a dad who worked for a pro stock team, I am very thankful my dad wasn't gone when I was a kid. Now, I drive him nuts on a daily basis about drag racing and I drag him all over the place while I race, lol.

I asked my dad to send me some photos he has hanging in the basement so I can share them. Scott and Darrell were great guys. Scott will always be missed by my family.
Great story! Thanks for sharing!! Good to hear stuff from people that were there.

Yeah, today's version of 'Camaro Pro Stock' is hard to take. While the performance is impressive, and the racing is close, I get bored with one after another Camaros going down the track, with the occasional Mustang bodied car (the Cuadra team). Alan Prusiensky is the only Mopar Pro Stock racer left and he's doing it without much help. I always make a point of stopping by his pit at the New England Nationals if he's in attendance.

Jeff Wick also ran a mopar in Pro Stock when Darrel and Scott were racing, can't find a handout though. I have photos somewhere.

IMG_7085.jpg

IMG_7086.jpg

In the early 2000s when they ran the Stratus, there was a guy who ran for a short time. Max Naylor. Drove the Jagermeister(sp?) Stratus. Had the deer head on the dash.

I was at maple Grove with the wife last summer. i forget what event it was as we live close enough that i can go on a whim any weekend I want but, we go there and these Pro Stock style cars were running 1/8 mile and running fast. i said to the wife :why the hell are they running 1/8 mile?" I had heard that someone was killed so they pulled the finish line back. It cant be fun running them cars like that. if you have that power you want to go 300 MPH. they were crossing 1/8 at like 185.

IIRC Wick's car was called "The Matchmaker".

I really would like to see the new FX class replace Pro Stock.

A couple of things on the nitrous accusations , I raced full time professionally for 20 years (big show fuel cars) and I know some of the tech guys that actually tore down those dodges repeatedly. I have asked them multiple times for the truth, and everytime they've looked me straight in the eyes and said nothing was ever found. Nothing in the oil pan, water jackets, frame rails, nothing. The people I know that know everyone involved say the same thing.
After the break in they moved from the 4.84 bore spacing to the 4.90 bore spacing, I was told why they weren't competitive but I don't remember why exactly. Just my .02

I got to see my hero Ronnie Sox at PID when I was a kid.
If “hey, get away from that” counts, then I got to meet him too.

I have the Ford Quality Care nationals from Firebird raceway in Phoenix on vhs….. the first all Dodge final. Diamond P with Steve E and Dave M calling the shots….. I really should get that digitized and put on YouTube. It’s racing gold!
only thing that keeps me interested in pro stock is “who” is building the power. Kind of like SS/AH….. fun to follow the power builders. Always pull for Bucky and his Jason Line mill.

I'd like to think they didn't cheat. Idk. Lot of development going on then. GM's DRCE was and still is THE platform. NHRA, as per usual, wasn't going to let GM look like clowns for too long getting beat by Mopar. Regardless of sponsorship. The Mopars even ran an identical GM based engine, but, still didn't run as well. I think with Pro Stock, with drag racing in general, the hey day was in the beginning. When it was line up and run. "Before the dark times. Before the Empire." .......

you mean , before bill jenkins cried and bitched to the nhra , cause he couldnt hardly ever beat Sox , they put 600 pounds on the hemi`s to stop them , wally parks even apologized to Sox years later !!!Matter of fact, check it out !!

I saw Sox defeat jenkins , nicholson and all the others right here in Tulsa , more than once ...

I remember when the Wayne County shop was vandalized. I don't think they ever found out who did that and some people speculated it was an inside job. I know that pretty much did them in.
"Vandalized" wink wink.... with a oldsmobile symbol spray painted on the wall.... yeah...... good way to exit without admitting defeat

I found this. A nitrous tank exploded on Eckman's car that ws right next to the Dodge Boys. Maybe that's how they kinda got caught up in it, but it doesn't say anywhere they were involved.

[/URL]

My buddy took a video of a spark plug that came out of the Eckman/Orndorff car at Woodburn I *THINK* the year before they got caught.

That plug was clearly killed by a hit of nitrous gone sideways.

He was also running an oil that wasn’t on the side of his car. In fact, the whole car was yellow with the name of the oil company all over the car. That company was his primary sponsor.

Have really clear video of what he was using.

Dont get me started on Rickie Smith and his “Slick 50” car that didn’t have a drop of Slick 50 anywhere near that car.

I doubt anyone doesn't cheat (cept maybe johnson way back.. his stuff was just a great design plus massive support) The cheaters make a sport interesting. like all the stuff smokey did.

-
Back