Pro Stock Truck. Man I loved that class

-

pittsburghracer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Thanks God I was young and fit enough to run back then because when they hit the track my butt was planted in the stands to watch. Just think of the small block Mopar parts that wouldn’t be available to us. Of course the Mopars were my favorite but how could you not like high winding manually shifted trucks. When they and Mopar Pro Stock cars were done and no longer competitive I quit going to NHRA National events.
D1963FBB-B9CE-4124-BDEC-0E912B30614F.jpeg
01BD13A2-55D0-45CB-BC16-63C27316123F.jpeg
0BDDCB37-4F16-499C-8A77-72ED5E507F2C.jpeg
F3B497A8-452A-43B8-BA26-7ECB57DF7894.jpeg
2F33958E-1A74-4C7C-966D-E6C3C2223D87.jpeg
4F005B30-DFC8-44E8-8A4F-8332F284C7B0.jpeg
C40B191D-8DB0-43F5-AB33-00EE1878FEFA.jpeg
8D8A38D1-FF04-4BF9-A803-0457677FBDFB.jpeg
A8584C81-CF32-4325-B45D-295B0E459059.jpeg

I gave up on the NHRA races years ago. It seems like they have an identity crisis and want to have the business of NASCAR with the excitement of heads up door car racing. If they start offering big pay outs for radial and small tire stuff I might get back into it.

I quit going to NHRA National events.
When the same teams race each other with 4 cars in the same field that was the end for me.
I always rooted for the 1 car team struggling to compete against mega buck teams.
This last crap NHRA did to Pro Stock that is now Pro Camaro running any engine in any body makes it even more BORING !

I loved going to Norwalk for IHRA National Events. Premier track even back then and races were cheaper to attend. Buy tickets at the track and a reserved seat was 5.00 more and if it looked like rain you could wait and purchase it later in the day.

Last edited:
Still love the sportsman racing mopars and seeing alot of dual purpose cars for top sportsman and super comp at the pro class races. Centrifugal super chargers are the rage now and some guys are running hemi’s.

Still love the sportsman racing mopars and seeing alot of dual purpose cars for top sportsman and super comp at the pro class races. Centrifugal super chargers are the rage now and some guys are running hemi’s.
I agree!!! the Pro Stock Trucks especially the Dakotas were so cool !!! and competitive, a guy here locally has one of Pattersons old Dakotas he races on occasion...still has the Mopar paint scheme and graphics and runs some sort of big block Mopar built by P/S racer Alan Prusiensky I believe....love that truck!!!

E4AD747B-4D97-4542-841E-8E1BD8EBE9BA.jpeg

Last edited:
I gave up on the NHRA races years ago. It seems like they have an identity crisis and want to have the business of NASCAR with the excitement of heads up door car racing.
Don't forget to throw in a little WWE show with the driver intros.

And has anyone subscribed to NHRA TV? I did right before the last national event. You can watch some good races from 60s right on up to present. But as far as live coverage... it sucks. You have the talking from the tower that is non-stop. When the cars run, even when the camera shots change from tower to starting line to finish line, the sound of the cars was what could be heard from inside the tower meaning you could hear muffled starting line sounds and not much else. Of course you could listen to top end interviews with drivers. Then the statistic boards showing all the details of both lanes was "too much information" in my opinion. And I have raced and understand it but unless I was dialing in my car... no. Reaction time, et, and mph is plenty. After a couple hours of nonstop narration, I had to turn it off.

I always liked Pro Stock, but if it wasn't for Alan competing, I wouldn't watch it at all. I am however looking forward to the new FX class.

For high winding stick race cars Modified Eliminator was my favorite.

NHRA politics and there was a lawsuit placed by the Pro Stock truck owners vs NHRA .. there was a settlement but terms were never released.

Pro Stock Owner sued after NHRA killed the class with a short notice. Some Owner had new trucks being built.

Those tunnel rammed screaming small blocks are the best!! 358 c.i. limit IIRC.

Lotta Racers got the bomb dropped on them when Pro Stock truck was discontinued by NHRA. It seemed to come out of nowhere.
The class started off great but waned after a coupla years.
I loved seeing all those Truck builds though. And the small block technology went thru the roof.
So happy I was able to experience it, cuz it will never be back. :(

Can't believe they left the picture of Drag Truck out.... :(

The last drag race event I attended was in Reynolds, Georgia at the Silver Dollar. The Slant 6 Race. Really small turnout, but I got to see @Charrlie_S run his Barracuda. That made it all worthwhile We need to try to go to some next year.

I raced with those Slant Sixers all over the country for awhile.
The best group of guys you will ever meet. I sure miss it,and them.

Pro Stock Owner sued after NHRA killed the class with a short notice. Some Owner had new trucks being built.
One of my friends had a PS Dakota sitting next to his shop for 2-3 years- it was white with the rainbow scheme and was planning on doing a Hemi 99 in it, he had an AJ avenger too with the Amoco paint scheme- he worked for Chrysler from 1990-2005 or so and left when they were getting back into Nascar. Last I talked to him he was working for Cat and had pretty much got out of drag racing and was building a 71 RR street car.

My Neighbor has a 2000 Super Stock Dakota. He built it from brand new never on the road.
NHRA said he can't run it in stock or super stock and for some reason it can't be used for GT class.
It's pro built and supposed to be legal. He got tired fighting NHRA and parked it 17 years ago.
I have no idea what the problem is. No he won't sell.

My Neighbor has a 2000 Super Stock Dakota. He built it from brand new never on the road.
NHRA said he can't run it in stock or super stock and for some reason it can't be used for GT class.
It's pro built and supposed to be legal. He got tired fighting NHRA and parked it 17 years ago.
I have no idea what the problem is. No he won't sell.

I think that when they killed PST they made room in some class in Comp Eliminator. That combination was never competitive in that class and I don’t think anyone is running a PST in that class any more.

-
Back