Pro touring wheels

-

siuauto

Reaction score
I am looking to install 20" wheels in the rear and 18" wheels in the front. Does anyone have recommendation if I am running a stock k member and stock length rear end?
Recommendations on rim width, offset mainly? Also will the bolt pattern for a modern charger work on a 5x4.5 I currently have?

Bolt pattern on a modern Charger is 5x115 and will not work. 5x4.5" works out to be 5x114.3, and yes, that's a big enough difference for it not to be a good idea.

As for the rest, it would really help to know what car you have and what you're trying to do with it. Assuming you're talking about a '67-76 A body you can fit an 18x9 up front with ~6.4" of backspace and go as wide as 275/35/18 with the stock suspension. But if you're talking about a Dart, the widest you can really go in the back with the stock suspension is a 255, so that's the limiting factor.

So, what car do you have and what are your plans for it?

The vehicle is 71 duster, small block It is a street strip and I already wheels and tires for stip. I do plan on having a mini tub and 4 link in rear. I want as wide of a rear as I can fit with a mini tib and I wat a narrower front tire. I kind of want that pro street look but more modern.

Bolt pattern on a modern Charger is 5x115 and will not work. 5x4.5" works out to be 5x114.3, and yes, that's a big enough difference for it not to be a good idea.

As for the rest, it would really help to know what car you have and what you're trying to do with it. Assuming you're talking about a '67-76 A body you can fit an 18x9 up front with ~6.4" of backspace and go as wide as 275/35/18 with the stock suspension. But if you're talking about a Dart, the widest you can really go in the back with the stock suspension is a 255, so that's the limiting factor.

So, what car do you have and what are your plans for it?

This is not 100% true 2005 to 2011 charger wheels do fit

That is what I have on my Duster

Attachments

• 5-6-13 camera pictures 044.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 1,594
This is not 100% true 2005 to 2011 charger wheels do fit

That is what I have on my Duster

interesting. Everything I've seen for the Chargers is listed at 5x115, but I do seem to recall there being a discussion on here awhile back about some of them actually being 5x114.3 now that you mention it.

Here is what I put on this 72 Dart Dart. It has a factory running gear from a 74 Valiant 73+ disc brakes and 8.25 rear end. Body has been mini tubed and springs moved under frame to allow the rear rims and tires to fit.

Front wheels
SIZE: 18x9
OFFSET: +36 millimeters
BACKSPACE: 6.4 inch

Rear wheels
SIZE: 18x10
Brain fade can't remember for sure the offset I think it was
OFFSET: +22 millimeters
BACKSPACE: 6.37 inch
or possible the the other common late model mustang offset
OFFSET: +43 millimeters
BACKSPACE: 7.19 inch

Attachments

• college 3.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 1,801
  • 1972 Dart 005 (Small).jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 1,634
  • college 7.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 1,782
f u g l y

Right back at you. His car, his choice. I think they look way better than a set of 14's. :puke: And I guarantee they handle better than a 14 or 15", by such a large margin its not even funny.

Here is what I put on this 72 Dart Dart. It has a factory running gear from a 74 Valiant 73+ disc brakes and 8.25 rear end. Body has been mini tubed and springs moved under frame to allow the rear rims and tires to fit.

Front wheels
SIZE: 18x9
OFFSET: +36 millimeters
BACKSPACE: 6.4 inch

Rear wheels
SIZE: 18x10
Brain fade can't remember for sure the offset I think it was
OFFSET: +22 millimeters
BACKSPACE: 6.37 inch
or possible the the other common late model mustang offset
OFFSET: +43 millimeters
BACKSPACE: 7.19 inch

Awesome looking wheels! :thumbup: I'm also interested in the tire sizes.

For siuauto, keep in mind zhandfull's car is a Dart. Your Duster can run much larger tires out back, the wheel tubs aren't even close to the same size. The wheel tubs on a stock Duster are 12.5" wide to the quarter lip, so even a stock Duster can have a 275 rear tire without issue. With a mini-tub you'd be looking at a good 15" to 15.5" of wheel tub width. The front's can have the same size, Duster or Dart. The Dart may be able to take a slightly taller tire because of the wheel opening, but that's a pretty easy fix and only needed if you're looking at going taller than 26", which I wouldn't recommend anyway.

There are a ton of wheel choices out there, dont usually do much of this on this sight. But I can help you with wheels if your interested. Here is my shops on line store. Take a look around and if you have questions just give me a call or shoot me a PM on here. Tim. www.paradise-road.com

Zhandfull, your car looks great! What size tires do you have front and rear?

Running a 285-40-18 in the rear. I like the 27" tall height on this tire and it's a pretty common size so you can find them reasonably priced.

Running a 245-40-18 in the front. It's 25.5 tall and a little narrow for the wheel. I'm thinking about going to a 255-40-18 that's about 26" tall and a bit wider when I get new tires. I just wasn't sure if they would fit, however now after trying the 245's, I'm pretty confident they will fit.

Rather than experimenting with new tires on a build like this Dart. I hit up the tire shops and buy used for the initial fitting. I'm into the 4 used tires mounted and balanced for $160.00. Now that I'm getting the bugs worked out of the car and starting to enjoy driving it. I'm thinking about buying a nice new set of tires.

Best advice I could give anyone going to big wheels is to get the tallest tire you can find front and back. Most of the big wheel tires are in the 25" tall range and they look a little weird on these old cars. Also try and find a common size tire that comes on a Porsche, Corvette, or other high performance car they are usually cheaper and likely to be made longer.

There are a ton of wheel choices out there, dont usually do much of this on this sight. But I can help you with wheels if your interested. Here is my shops on line store. Take a look around and if you have questions just give me a call or shoot me a PM on here. Tim. www.paradise-road.com

Hey Tim I'm diggin those Tach wheels. Can you Pm me a quote for 18x8 for the fronts and its lookin like 18x10.5 or 11 in the rear. I'll get all the offsets to you when we move forward probably go with a polished finish. How's the quality on those and do they look good in person? I'm sure they do there are just so many different wheels out there to choose from and I'm a bit overwhelmed.

Right back at you. His car, his choice. I think they look way better than a set of 14's. :puke: And I guarantee they handle better than a 14 or 15", by such a large margin its not even funny.

Awesome looking wheels! :thumbup: I'm also interested in the tire sizes.

For siuauto, keep in mind zhandfull's car is a Dart. Your Duster can run much larger tires out back, the wheel tubs aren't even close to the same size. The wheel tubs on a stock Duster are 12.5" wide to the quarter lip, so even a stock Duster can have a 275 rear tire without issue. With a mini-tub you'd be looking at a good 15" to 15.5" of wheel tub width. The front's can have the same size, Duster or Dart. The Dart may be able to take a slightly taller tire because of the wheel opening, but that's a pretty easy fix and only needed if you're looking at going taller than 26", which I wouldn't recommend anyway.

14's lol..

Zhandfull's car could run a ton more than what is under there right now as well.

14's lol..

Zhandfull's car could run a ton more than what is under there right now as well.

That is true, the problem I ran into is budget and tire selection. Those wheels I have are Mustang replica wheels and are reasonably priced at $150.00 ea new. There is only two backspacing selections available. I'm currently as close as I can be to the outside fender lip and have trimmed it a bit to eliminate any rubbing.

The second problem is tire selection. I really wanted a tall tire, 28" would of been great. But as I mentioned above most of the 17"+ tires are in the 25" tall range that 285-40-18 is a great compromise of width and height. The wider tires would have been shorter in most cases or extremely expensive. The short wide tires look great from the back but a little odd from the side view on some of these older cars.

The wheels are 17 " and I run Nitto NT450 tires 225/50R17 front and 275/50r17 rear
Only had to use a 1/2 spacer on the rear to clear the springs. I have Hotchkis rear springs, Qa1 12 way adjustable shocks and Hotchkis sway bar
Front Magnum Force tublar control arms, Qa1 12 way adjustable shocks , Hotchkis adjustable strut rods, geaseable lower pivots, Hellwig sway bar -Wilwood brakes

Here is better shot of the car and its stance

Attachments

• Moparetown2013 006.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 1,469
  • Moparetown2013 003.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 1,493
  • Moparetown2013 001.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 1,536
Love all these big wheel A's , they look killer. Pics of mine are on here plenty already so I won't bore anymore with them. Glad to see guys having a pair a putting big boy tires on since the grip is freakin sick.

Love all these big wheel A's , they look killer. Pics of mine are on here plenty already so I won't bore anymore with them. Glad to see guys having a pair a putting big boy tires on since the grip is freakin sick.

agreed, my wheel selection was based on size- how much could i get into a stock wheel well without moving springs, minitub, etc.
the unexpected bonus is that they are quite a bit lighter than the cobra wheels that were on it, and the difference in the driving experience is dramatic.
guaranteed people don't like the look, and guaranteed I don't care.

18x8.75, +35 offset, 6.25" backspace
245-40x18 front
255-40x18 rear

Attachments

• IMAG0158.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 1,467
stock :thumbdow:
pro-touring :thumrigh:

Attachments

• New 69 2.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 1,470
  • hdr Dart rear small.jpg