Problem with my windage tray?

-

canttuchmymopar

Reaction score
I got a 360 with eagle crank pistons and rods out of a 73 cuda my question is when I took the car oil pan off to inspect it all looked good when I put the truck oil pan for my 360 swap when I was bolting down the pan the edges of the tray were rubbing I went ahead and bolted it down (foced it a little bit) when it was all together I rotated the crank and at one point there is about 20 degrees where is barely scrapes something the rest is fine should I worry about it or just go with it?when it does rubb its very slight

i know on my 360 stroker motor two of the rod bolts were hitting the windage tray. all i did was bend it a little so that i had enough clearance.

you dont want anything rubbing because it will cause premature wear

i know on my 360 stroker motor two of the rod bolts were hitting the windage tray. all i did was bend it a little so that i had enough clearance.

you dont want anything rubbing because it will cause premature wear

But, I figure if it is just a little even if it does wear it it couldnt be more than a spec of metal?

You don't want any metal floating around in your engine. And the crank could catch it and bend it up and create a mess. And it would make all kinds of rattling noise when the engine runs which you won't want. You need to pull the pan off and correct the problem.

I had the same problem on my 340, didn't notice it until I started it after a rebuild, sounded like a rod bearing knocking.
Pulled the oil pan and bent the tray slightly, all ended o.k. but a couple of hours of doubt until I figured it out.
Check out the 2 spots where the crank was hittimng on top edge of photo.

DSCF3784.jpg

Factory trays need to be tweaked to fit under a stock pan with a 4" arm, regardless of the rods used. Especially if you use factory type main bolts it will take soem massaging and trial fitting.

And I'll add, no, hittign is not acceptable, nor is any metal lose in there.

You don't want any metal floating around in your engine. And the crank could catch it and bend it up and create a mess. And it would make all kinds of rattling noise when the engine runs which you won't want. You need to pull the pan off and correct the problem.

I saw a thread on moparts just yesterday where a guy caught a piece of the windage tray with his crank and it made it's way through the rotating assembly before making it into the pan and causing his oil pressure to jump around before he realized something was wrong. lol

It was a nice sized piece too. Didnt kill the motor, but It could have!

-
Back