Problems we found with T&D rockers when reassembling motor

-

Oldmanmopar

Going left turning right
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
After my son fixed the Indy Heads that were machined wrong we got the heads back together We installed one on the motore and the other was set on loose to check pushrod length.

He saw the springs were hitting the rockers pretty hard but not all. He made a fixture to fit the turntable so he could cut the radius deeper. This would allow precise cutting of the same radius on all the rockers. Three fixture would have to be made.

One for the exhaust and two for the intakes due to opposite angles. He started on the Exhaust and found not one was the same depth. That is why some hit and others didn't. This was due to real poor machine set up at T&D.

Just some info I thought I woul pass on to those who are running their Rockers.

The picture below show what had to be done to correct the rockers.

DSCN0200.JPG

DSCN0204.JPG

DSCN0197.JPG

DSCN0198.JPG

DSCN0201.JPG

DSCN0202.JPG

DSCN0189.JPG

DSCN0190.JPG

DSCN0191.JPG

DSCN0193.JPG

Last edited:
Here is the way we get proper amount of oil flow to the rockers using studs on the aluminum Indy heads. Index and cut a oil passage in the studs on the oil passage side.

DSCN0180.JPG

DSCN0187.JPG

After my son fixed the Indy Heads that were machined wrong we got the heads back together We installed one on the motore and the other was set on loose to check pushrod length.

He saw the springs were hitting the rockers pretty hard but not all. He made a fixture to fit the turntable so he could cut the radius deeper. This would allow precise cutting of the same radius on all the rockers. Three fixture would have to be made.

One for the exhaust and two for the intakes due to opposite angles. He started on the Exhaust and found not one was the same depth. That is why some hit and others didn't. This was due to real poor machine set up at T&D.

Just some info I thought I woul pass on to those who are running their Rockers.

The picture below show what had to be done to correct the rockers.

View attachment 1715177587

View attachment 1715177588

View attachment 1715177589

View attachment 1715177590

View attachment 1715177591

View attachment 1715177592

View attachment 1715177594

View attachment 1715177595

View attachment 1715177596

View attachment 1715177597

Sharp son !! Do u leave the spark plug holes that ragged ?? Just curious--

Those are CNC cutter marks. I don't know if he did anything with that because the plug comes through the threads . But I would believe He would not remove anymore material than he has to in the chamber. LOL. The motor is Naturally aspirated around 12.7-1. And if he could he would ad some aluminum.

We had another stroker motor he used non stroker pistons in. He cut the tops of the pistons to make his own domes. Raised the compression to over 14.5 -1 . He was running methanol with 20% nitro. We took one of the pistons and cut a pie out. The piston at the base of the intake fly cut was was only .035 thick. that also move the rings up. The hottest I ever saw that motor after a run was 100 degrees on the infrared thermometer .

he never got caught running Nitro mixed with methanol they had no fuel test for it. Only in race fuel

This motor runs on C16 mixed with 10% ???. Those pistons were in that motor for 6 years. Doesn't look like it has a problem. 8000 RPM shifts. And we used them over. Yes we did try pump gas mixed. It was ok on the rich/ lean gauges as long as you didn't hook the tires load the motor.

He is a pretty dam good machinist and I trust his work. But I don't tell him that. He'll think he is smarter than me .

I had to do the same thing on my W2 heads. I used Mopar Performance blue rockers I believe were made by Crane. I was afraid I would break one but It's been a few years now so I'm sure they will be OK. Kind pissed me off because they were not cheap.

Freakin A! Tell me about it! We pay a good chunk of money for this stuff and we then have to re machine it? Seriously?!?!

Crap drives me nutz!

Lordie that is some pretty stuff!! I'll be out in the dirt floor shed later bolting together my stocker LOL

Freakin A! Tell me about it! We pay a good chunk of money for this stuff and we then have to re machine it? Seriously?!?!

Crap drives me nutz!
We paid over $1800.00 for this rocker assembly because they were supposed to be the best by all others I have talked to. The material quality is very good. but you think machine work from one rocker to the other would be excact.

At first we thought it was due to the springs moving from bounce at the high RPM's the motor turns.

It wasn't until he set up a fixture to make sure every one he cut would be the same depth that he saw the problem. He cut the first one and had to take out .045 to clean up the gouge mark . He then set the DRO to zero. So when he put the next one in, The cutter should have touched at around .045 . It did not touch the rocker until .017. So there was a .028 difference just in those two.

We started looking at them closer and you could visually see the difference. The worse rockers were in the center of the shafts when shipped, The end two on the shaft that you usually check for clearance were fine and had no marks. That is why it was not caught on the first go round.

I agree with you on the price we pay should reflect in the quality of the part. It doesn't.

My son has done some High HP turbo Honda's . The race parts sold for those motors are almost Zero tolerance. What has happened to U.S. quality is. After their names are established they just stop trying to please the consumer. It becomes a matter of not how good they are made but how many they can make faster.

My returns to summit are about half of my purchases. I just had a Milodon oil pan dripping oil. They miss a small weld on the corner. Who checks a new oil pan for leaks before you install it? I do now!

They market an item and establish it as the top tier, then they start chipping away at the overhead: a little less machining tolerances, poorer packaging, poorer support. Look at Demon carbs: King of the hill to Chapter 11...did you bring it to their attention? I had some T&D's and they looked very good but they were some early production pieces from the date stamps. They were some weird 1.6/1.78 ratios for a circle track motor so I flipped them.

They market an item and establish it as the top tier, then they start chipping away at the overhead: a little less machining tolerances, poorer packaging, poorer support. Look at Demon carbs: King of the hill to Chapter 11...did you bring it to their attention? I had some T&D's and they looked very good but they were some early production pieces from the date stamps. They were some weird 1.6/1.78 ratios for a circle track motor so I flipped them.
I won't waist my time contacting them. But I will be more cautious with future purchases of parts from all venders. I went through BS from interior vender on two purchases that were far from correct . They only took care of one I purchased from a third party purchase because he stood by me. Thanks Dante's.

L---d--y Sucks on consumer relations once they have your money. and I mean the guy is a real *** hole. I can tell you two stories that would really worry you all on future dealings from this high flow no care company.

Here are pictures of Legendary interior seat covers. Note the first picture are Mine and the second picture are another car.

I had a friend by them at Carlisle I was busy selling parts. He paid them and they sent them to me at my address. But he used his name on the reciept

The forgot the cross stitching in the silver which I eventually had fixed. But the stitching on the seat back was wrong. The ran the beading around the inserts instead of up the backs.

Legendary would not fix them or repair them. He first told me I had to get the person who paid for them to call him. He did with me there. after several go rounds I sent them back. They told me that they could not be repaired by them because the guy who signed the back was terminated. I told them to replace them the agreed. I had to pay shipping both ways. I recieved the same covers back. I called him back several times and he basically told me to get fucked.

I took my Duster to Carlisle and parked it in one of my three spots with there seat with ther name pasted to it with an arrow and my factory seat from my Demon.

Chip from Carlisle told me to remove the sign and I did. But I was telling people and showing them. They made me get the car off of the grounds. That was my last year selling at Carlisle I don't even go there.

a23.JPG

29984_39trs20.jpg

The next was I bought orange door panels from Dantes with the wood grain. The Chrome around the wood was not 45 degreed on the corners and the straight were pieces left over from cuts. I called Dante he sent the pictures and their reply was that is the way mopar did the orange panels. I told Dante My car came with orange Panels with wood and I have the originals.

Legendary demanded the original panel so I sent it to Dante with the new ones. I recieved panels back that were correct. But I didn't use them right away and sold them to a member on here with the car. When we looked at them in the bag the chome fell off. They just glued other chrome on that didn't stick.

If not for Dante standing by me I would not have even been able to send them back. I will never buy directly from Legendary again. And if there is a problem demand replacement and mark what you send back.

the guy was a total rip off if he had to stand by a mistake.

-
Back