Problems will not go away....

-
Aha....Overdrive.

So your possitive its an overdrive 833 ?

This what is in the car.........the casting numbers say it is a 78 f-body trans
SN850053.jpg

If this is the case does anybody have a pic of the correct tabs ?

I see you are using the levers from a Non OD 833. One of the levers will not interchange between the a Non OD and an OD. It is the lever with that has the slot at a 45 degree angle. The angles are opposite between OD and Non OD. Sorry don't remember which one but I believe only one lever has a slot at a 45 degeree angle.

That reminds me of the days I drove an old truck with "3 on the tree". If you shifted too fast the linkage would cause both levers to move at the same time resulting in 2 gears engaged at the same time. You had to turn off the truck and reposition the levers by hand. Those were the days!
Was it a late 60's early 70's Ford? My dad had them for his business and every one of them did this....

This what is in the car.........the casting numbers say it is a 78 f-body trans
SN850053.jpg

In this picture the forward shift ARM is like I described,and opposite of how you have yours. Try it this way and see.
Have you ever had the side cover off ?

That front shift lever is on wrong. It needs to be flipped upside down. Measure your front bearing retainer. If it is not 5.125" in diameter, it ain't a overdrive. It looks big though...hard to tell from the angle.

Prob'ly easiest way to be sure it's an OD at this point is jack up the rear wheels, and try the front lever and see which is faster at the rear. rotating the front shaft CCW puts it into 4th if it's a 4 speed or 3rd if it's a OD

So if CCW is faster than CW, == 4 speed

If CW is faster than CCW,== OD

I had an OD in a truck. Sombirch was fast. The shifter was worn out as heck and would during speed shift occasionally put the truck in like 1st and 3rd at the same time. Totally grind gears and stall out the truck. I feel sorry for that transmission. From what I remember it actually went into two gears at once several times and I had to work my butt off to get them out using a crescent wrench on the gear levers on the trans. My memory may be inaccurate. It is very possible that I had the wrong levers on the trans too as my bud set it up and he was mixing and matching parts all the live long day.

The set up is just like the diagram on page one. The tab is upside down like the diagram and all other tabs are oriented in the up position. I sent the bell housing and bearing retainer out to be machined so they would match because the bearing retainer was bigger than the bell housing opening. I am almost hundred percent it is an OD trans. I have had the side cover off and nothing looked worn or out of the ordinary. I will be boxing up the shifter today and sending it to brewers.

Ok I get the dumbass award for the year. I just got off the phone with Wayne from Brewer's Performance. It seems that my good intention of trying to fix my shifter myself has been my undoing. I had the shims in backwards and it was causing my problems. Wayne didn’t charge me anything other than the cost of shipping the shifter back to me. I don't know what I would do without people like Wayne at Brewer’s; I had almost given up and was ready to throw in the towel.....

I would also like to thank Scuba0331 aka Steve for sending me the tab for the trans.

A great thanks goes to the rest of you that tried to help me....

Now to get it all back together and see if I can actually drive the car....then fix the exhaust...

Again thanks all......

Well look at the bright side. Now you KNOW how to reassemble a shifter the right way. You learned sumthin.

I bought a new Mcleod clutch and pressure plate from Brewer's Performance. I wasn't very up on manual transmissions at the time. Wayne sold me everything I needed and explained in great detail why he sending me the parts. I was off in left field... fixing to buy a pressure plate that was really unnecessary.

Awesome .........!!!

Wayne is a great guy. Helped me with all my questions when I was rebuilding my 833. Even took the time out to send me a couple pics !

Wayne is awsome, has helped me many times.
In fact I recieved a small $40.00 order today, and he only charged me $1.00 for an item that was $10.00.
Also he only charged me actual shipping costs.
I will call him in the morning to pay him the extra money.
His knowlage is worth way more than a $9.00 typo on a bill.

Icould be wrong but this happend to me the cause was that i had my reverse lever
attached to the trans upside down the pic with the pistol grip shifter above is the correct way check it out hope this helps

the same thing happened to me the cause for me was i attached the reverse lever upside down to the trany the exact way you have it shown in your pics above try reversing your lever hopes this helps

I have tommorow off and will be getting to it then, plus fix the exhaust. I will post something letting all know how things went.

a helpful video on rebuilding a hurst comp+ shifter,
it will also help with rebuilding the factory shifter

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDWB_XIwoak"]YouTube - Hurst Competition Plus 4 speed shifter Rebuild Part 1[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR0hkFT_YmQ&feature=related"]YouTube - Hurst Competition Plus 4 speed shifter Rebuild part 2a[/ame]

One thing I notice is you have the WRONG 3-4 shift rod for the OD trans , looks like you have the non od 4 speed rods , the 3-4 rod is shaped differently so it doesn't rub on the floor like it looks like yours is doing .

It is all back together, everything is working the way it is suppose too. I left about thirty foot of rubber, forgot how stout clutch is....... I will post a vid in the next couple of days. Thanks to everybody for all the help.....

It is all back together, everything is working the way it is suppose too. I left about thirty foot of rubber, forgot how stout clutch is....... I will post a vid in the next couple of days. Thanks to everybody for all the help.....
So what was your fix?

I had the shims in the shifter installed incorrectly, thanks to Wanye at Brewer Performance for discovering my mistake....

I had the shims in the shifter installed incorrectly, thanks to Wanye at Brewer Performance for discovering my mistake....

Wayne is a great guy. I bought some parts from him at Brewer and didn't feel like I was in the cross hairs.

-
Back