ProComp/Speedmaster aluminum heads

-
Jpar my advice would be to send the heads to a competent shop and let them go over the heads and install the correct springs for your cam.
Again "conpetent" Shop number one (the one that originally built my motor) strongly advised not to buy any overseas stuff... "Competent" shop number two (close-by very reputable and of took my own stuff there and customer stuff) said these heads have junk valve guides and junk seats and that will be $800... (Without seeing them...)
First place I call called aluminum cylinder head says they don't do American stuff for the most part and if they do it's modern.. "it'll sit around here for a week waiting for someone to look at it and we don't do this kind of stuff"... called the next place that had someone's name then cylinder head... "why would you want brand new heads looked at aren't they new?" "I could wave my hand over them"... "I guess you can bring them in and we'll take a couple valves out and make sure they're lubricated and stuff but will charge you at least $80 for a shop hour minimum"...
I'm just about one hundred percent convinced at this point to probably just buy a brand new set of Springs. Buy a $45 spring height checker. Lap the valve myself and also purchase a machinist level...
Really this car is 100 and 10% my hobby so anything I can do myself... Again I'm not afraid to spend a little money but I'm not going to dump another grand into these heads or anything like that. Mind you guys I'm extremely happy with my head's now there's no problem...

Hopefully Tony chimes in again. He has had a few sets done and seems happy. There is more than a few guys running these and some I’m sure ootb. So a little help should do wonders for these heads. There will always be the Chinese haters. But I bet if u looked in there drive way, house, shop u will find 75% Chinese appliances, electronics and tools etc. Oh ya, on or in there pride and joy American made Mopar. Kim

I'm just about one hundred percent convinced at this point to probably just buy a brand new set of Springs. Buy a $45 spring height checker. Lap the valve myself and also purchase a machinist level...

Not a bad plan.
Buy the height mic first...... check installed heights...... buy correct springs to suit.

Amazing that a shop would not want to check out new heads! I mean, that is about the easiest and cleanest work they could do. I would avoid the hand waving guy for sure.

I'm going to bring this up on my own Thread about these heads. At this new price point$820 to the door I can no longer indulge conversations with people wanting to put large amounts of money into a cast-iron heads LA and Magnum heads...
LOL.... I know you got frustrated that the OP on the "other thread" didn't jump out of his pants to buy procomps and throw the mag heads in the scrap but that 820 is about to rise with cost of springs, and your time that you beat me up for that I put in my mag heads your about to put in your own heads.… not say'n it still isn't a good deal you got, but just say'n... wink wink.....

I had a shop build my motor to suit as I watched pretty much every step.(since I've changed out the heads the cam the lifters the Rockers and every bit of tin and the original rebuild came without tin or oil pump..) I had a shop do my alignment and I've had shops Mount and balance my tires. I had a shop weld the ends on my Dana 60 and another shop set up the gears. Also I had the shop or a couple guys come out and put in my windshield.
Pretty much all of which kills me I wasn't able to do myself...

LOL.... I know you got frustrated that the OP on the "other thread" didn't jump out of his pants to buy procomps and throw the mag heads in the scrap but that 820 is about to rise with cost of springs, and your time that you beat me up for that I put in my mag heads your about to put in your own heads.… not say'n it still isn't a good deal you got, but just say'n... wink wink.....

OUCH...…. :D
Okay this morning you'd like to get it started on my threat I understand...

That you would run right out of the box without checking anything?..

Nope. I wouldn’t run a set of 220 cnc’d AFR Chevy heads out of the box or a 3000.00 dollar set of B1 heads out of the box either. Nothing goes on my engine without being checked out.

Hopefully Tony chimes in again. He has had a few sets done and seems happy. There is more than a few guys running these and some I’m sure ootb. So a little help should do wonders for these heads. There will always be the Chinese haters. But I bet if u looked in there drive way, house, shop u will find 75% Chinese appliances, electronics and tools etc. Oh ya, on or in there pride and joy American made Mopar. Kim

Not a bad plan.
Buy the height mic first...... check installed heights...... buy correct springs to suit.

Amazing that a shop would not want to check out new heads! I mean, that is about the easiest and cleanest work they could do. I would avoid the hand waving guy for sure.

Pretty soon you are up to the cost of an in America machined set ProMaxx heads
I'm going to ask you kind gentlemen to take a break for a minute while I have it out with 318 has valves that will fly. He needs to have a little morning argument or we do I can say so this may take a page or two for us to shake this out...
My sincerest apologies of the derailment of this thread but it's going to happen regardless. Please tune in later after it is over and we can get back to the heads..

I'm going to ask you kind gentlemen to take a break for a minute while I have it out with 318 has valves that will fly. He needs to have a little morning argument or we do I can say so this may take a page or two for us to shake this out...
My sincerest apologies of the derailment of this thread but it's going to happen regardless. Please tune in later after it is over and we can get back to the heads..

Over and out! I need to do some work anyhow.

OUCH...…. :D
Yes I maybe another hundred into Springs. Would you like me to count the tools that I get to keep for another hundred dollars? And who isn't going to be into a set of heads for time? You're joking on this time thing correct? I'm sure you simply flew those heads over to the Machine Shop and had one of the seats dugout? That didn't take any time or gas money? The grinding on those to get them to flow anywhere in the ballpark of those stock aluminum heads? Are you really going to go on and believe that putting$800 into Magnum heads is a wise investment over putting $1, 000 into some aluminum heads that flow probably way more out of the box. We are talking aluminum vs steel here, there could be a weight difference oh and possibly the heat dissipation difference...

Okay this morning you'd like to get it started on my threat I understand...
Simply put, I just remember what people say. You slapped me silly because I had "time" and 600 in my heads..... But now you'll have time and soon to be 1000 in your heads... almost double cost. Now hear me, 1000 is good for ready to go aluminum heads, but again, for almost double the cost you could have had pro maxx - a better quality and flowing head. Isn't it all the same in the end??? Differences are the same, just at different levels of pricing? Not derailing, but just jumped in a little off topic like you did.... monkey see, monkey do :D

Over and out! I need to do some work anyhow.
LOL :D Two of the funniest post I've read in a long time on this thread.... I"m literally laughing out loud..... :D :D

Didn’t just say ur buddy wouldn’t let u check his heads and against ur advice he installed them anyways. So that doesn’t really say much for America machined. Kim

Please reread what I just posted. Now you went and made me post in the middle of a good internet argument. Sorry guys. Go for the throat

Simply put, I just remember what people say. You slapped me silly because I had "time" and 600 in my heads..... But now you'll have time and soon to be 1000 in your heads... almost double cost. Now hear me, 1000 is good for ready to go aluminum heads, but again, for almost double the cost you could have had pro maxx - a better quality and flowing head. Isn't it all the same in the end??? Differences are the same, just at different levels of pricing? Not derailing, but just jumped in a little off topic like you did.... monkey see, monkey do :D
You do remember but the problem is you don't remember correctly! Do I have to go back and actually quote where you said you have 699 into them isn't that a lot closer to 700? And currently I have $820. 90 into these fully assembled supposedly ready to run heads. Isn't that closer to 800? So really isn't a difference about $100? Let's start with the truth so we can finish with the truth...

Please reread what I just posted. Now you went and made me post in the middle of a good internet argument. Sorry guys. Go for the throat
how he remembers the truth is quite different than reality quite often there's truth in it but not truthful...

You do remember but the problem is you don't remember correctly! Do I have to go back and actually quote where you said you have 699 into them isn't that a lot closer to 700? And currently I have $820. 90 into these fully assembled supposedly ready to run heads. Isn't that closer to 800? So really isn't a difference about $100? Let's start with the truth so we can finish with the truth...
600 in the heads..... the other 99 was in push rods.. get it right. I may or may not have to buy pushrods for the procomps as well....

I might add I also had the price sent to my door. Was your 699 after time and gas money and good Lord please tell us how much grinding you did on them to get them not even close to the CFM that I got on the aluminum's...?...

Actually, 300 in the heads, 230 for hughes spring kit, and 60 for seat. 590 and 10 dollars in stones for touch up

Actually, 300 in the heads, 230 for hughes spring kit, and 60 for seat. 590 and 10 dollars in stones for touch up
And how much time grinding on those heads to get less CFM? And those have the 191 intake valves as well?

And how much time grinding on those heads to get less CFM? And those have the 191 intake valves as well?
1.92 valves for the record...LOL. Tell you what we can do. Get a ET slip with your clutch tamer. Bolt your heads on and see the difference. I'll do the exact same, and we'll see whose ET drops the most - mine or yours. That would be a fun thread "J pan's heads vs 318WR heads" Biggest difference wins!

-
Back