ProComp/Speedmaster aluminum heads

-
it's been over 3 weeks since we seen the pictures of the rusty Dusty R Block laying on the floor any progress? now that the ultimate bench racer has spoken This Thread is doomed to go to crap now! Snowmobile? Definitely don't bring up the Exxon Valdez... I'm never I mean never ever bring up the word time slip around yellow rose!!!...

Correct ones balls must be kicked hard for such an interruption...

again my most sincerest apologies there's no way the ultimate bench racer is going to come in here and poke at me and not get one hell of a jab back...

Not ready to start on it yet. Already know what piston I need. Now I've got to sell one set of rods and buy another. Then I have to find out about valves. Going with .312 stems (I don't do metric) and I need to see what I can get with a 1.500ish for the exhaust and 2.050ish for the intake. Then I need to do some research into the cutters I want to cut the seats. I may use the cutters I have...or I may try a different cutter that's available, or...I may sit down and design my own cutter, depending on what the bowls look like with those valve sizes.

I'm not even going to PDX before December 3rd so nothing big is going to happen before then.

Not ready to start on it yet. Already know what piston I need. Now I've got to sell one set of rods and buy another. Then I have to find out about valves. Going with .312 stems (I don't do metric) and I need to see what I can get with a 1.500ish for the exhaust and 2.050ish for the intake. Then I need to do some research into the cutters I want to cut the seats. I may use the cutters I have...or I may try a different cutter that's available, or...I may sit down and design my own cutter, depending on what the bowls look like with those valve sizes.

I'm not even going to PDX before December 3rd so nothing big is going to happen before then.
Please update your thread with this...
I'm not panning for agrees, but this should get me a few...

I usually like to just let the time slips do my talking.

All this other back and forth crap is just a waste of bandwidth(or something like that).
Remember I quoted you when the shitstorm started this morning! I was trying to keep you out of it! I really would like to continue with a few more questions regarding the heads and your opinions..
asskiss.gif
....lol....

See what you brought me too....

Again "conpetent" Shop number one (the one that originally built my motor) strongly advised not to buy any overseas stuff... "Competent" shop number two (close-by very reputable and of took my own stuff there and customer stuff) said these heads have junk valve guides and junk seats and that will be $800... (Without seeing them...)
First place I call called aluminum cylinder head says they don't do American stuff for the most part and if they do it's modern.. "it'll sit around here for a week waiting for someone to look at it and we don't do this kind of stuff"... called the next place that had someone's name then cylinder head... "why would you want brand new heads looked at aren't they new?" "I could wave my hand over them"... "I guess you can bring them in and we'll take a couple valves out and make sure they're lubricated and stuff but will charge you at least $80 for a shop hour minimum"...
I'm just about one hundred percent convinced at this point to probably just buy a brand new set of Springs. Buy a $45 spring height checker. Lap the valve myself and also purchase a machinist level...
Really this car is 100 and 10% my hobby so anything I can do myself... Again I'm not afraid to spend a little money but I'm not going to dump another grand into these heads or anything like that. Mind you guys I'm extremely happy with my head's now there's no problem...

Understood. It's always good to buy new tools and learn new things. PRH has given you good solid advice, take your time and you'll be fine.

See what you brought me too....
In all seriousness I will say, I appreciate you buying and sharing your experience, and I know you'll post the results whether it be good, bad, or other. As you know, I have also posted my money to help others make decisions. This helps others decide where to spend their money. :)

In all seriousness I will say, I appreciate you buying and sharing your experience, and I know you'll post the results whether it be good, bad, or other. As you know, I have also posted my money to help others make decisions. This helps others decide where to spend their money. :)
You must be tired of the disagree button...
rocks.gif
me too..

Hopefully Tony chimes in again. He has had a few sets done and seems happy. There is more than a few guys running these and some I’m sure ootb. So a little help should do wonders for these heads. There will always be the Chinese haters. But I bet if u looked in there drive way, house, shop u will find 75% Chinese appliances, electronics and tools etc. Oh ya, on or in there pride and joy American made Mopar. Kim

Yes...i have a set in use...they are the Cnc model I bought bare. Had local machine shop assemble them. I am using PAC 1903 springs that install at 1.80 @ 140ish lbs. Cam in that engine is a Hughes 254/260 with .600/.615 lift. I am using SM stainless steel intake and exhaust valves, and their retainers and keepers. The 75 Duster has run a best so far of 11.72 @ 114 a few weeks ago in our wonderful air with DA just over 5000 ft. Engine is 360 .020 using seal powered 116hcp pistons....Chinese h beam rod and stock crank. Eddy Air gap intake....might be swapped out for Holly SD someday.... just old style bracket car with SS springs and CE shocks on the corners. Dont have alot of passes on engine.

There u have it, the valves are pretty decent after all. I’ll be getting some for mine. Kim

I bought the valves and accessories after I bought the heads bare.....my opinion the springs were not what I needed. I figured if i was going to change out the springs I wanted a valve job done by the local shop I use instead of buying the complete head. I do have a set of SM CNC fully assembled heads but have no idea went they would be used and the springs have been swapped out with the Pac spring listed above....

Yes...i have a set in use...they are the Cnc model I bought bare. Had local machine shop assemble them. I am using PAC 1903 springs that install at 1.80 @ 140ish lbs. Cam in that engine is a Hughes 254/260 with .600/.615 lift. I am using SM stainless steel intake and exhaust valves, and their retainers and keepers. The 75 Duster has run a best so far of 11.72 @ 114 a few weeks ago in our wonderful air with DA just over 5000 ft. Engine is 360 .020 using seal powered 116hcp pistons....Chinese h beam rod and stock crank. Eddy Air gap intake....might be swapped out for Holly SD someday.... just old style bracket car with SS springs and CE shocks on the corners. Dont have alot of passes on engine.

I bought the valves and accessories after I bought the heads bare.....my opinion the springs were not what I needed. I figured if i was going to change out the springs I wanted a valve job done by the local shop I use instead of buying the complete head. I do have a set of SM CNC fully assembled heads but have no idea went they would be used and the springs have been swapped out with the Pac spring listed above....
I sincerely appreciate you putting the real in reality here with this stuff!

All that trick flow fever this morning got me thinking about my own heads that I need to put on... "Springs and things" lol...
I do want to for now reuse my cam and keep the Springs matched at least somewhat. I dug through my receipts and it looks like I have Crower 68405's then something about manly chromoly retainers? And then when the 202 valves were put in the second time something about -.050 keepers?...
From what I can research it seems as the recommended Springs look very close if not better.
It's amazing how much I put into those old heads not only money-wise but the hours of grinding myself. All the new nice upgraded parts, Crower Springs chromoly retainers all professionally machine shop setup, banging gears though the countryside yesterday and I would be lucky to get $400 for them...:rolleyes:..

All that trick flow fever this morning got me thinking about my own heads that I need to put on... "Springs and things" lol...
I do want to for now reuse my cam and keep the Springs matched at least somewhat. I dug through my receipts and it looks like I have Crower 68405's then something about manly chromoly retainers? And then when the 202 valves were put in the second time something about -.050 keepers?...
From what I can research it seems as the recommended Springs look very close if not better.
It's amazing how much I put into those old heads not only money-wise but the hours of grinding myself. All the new nice upgraded parts, Crower Springs chromoly retainers all professionally machine shop setup, banging gears though the countryside yesterday and I would be lucky to get $400 for them...:rolleyes:..
How do you know the procomp springs won't work?

Those Crower springs are for a shorter installed height than the Pro Comp heads. I am sure the Pro Comps have a 1.8 IH. Those Crower springs are listed at 76#s at 1.8

How do you know the procomp springs won't work?
I don't..
Earlier in the thread PRH said the ones he had had very low spring rate... Also to have them tested.. I'm going to take this advice on both accounts... I'm actually juggling between his and 70aarcuda's spring recommendations and having a hard time telling the difference if there is any..
Just doing my due diligence and research way ahead of time...

I may have misread, but I thought you were thinking of putting them on the Pro Comps.

I may have misread, but I thought you were thinking of putting them on the Pro Comps.
what I was doing was researching what spring pressure I have on the cam now and trying to get something close or better to emulate that now in the new installed height..:thumbsup:..

what I was doing was researching what spring pressure I have on the cam now and trying to get something close or better to emulate that now in the new installed height
Cool.
There are so many threads on heads I've been reading that my head is spinning.
I was just confused.

-
Back