Progress on my 340 Hood Scoops!

-
I have a couple of 340 hoods at home, and I will measure the openings. I think it is 4-1/8 off top of head. I will also take some picks of the factory 72 340 Demon cutouts which are off course different. AFAIK, even my non-scooped Dart hoods have the underside holes, will double-check that as well. Also, I don't think the dual-scoop setup used on the Duster (Twister?) were functional, so there may not be any attaching points. As a point of interest, I am sure that all 73-? Dart hoods have the underhood locators for the 69 simulated scoops. Same stamping.

Grant

The red outlines are the holes you drill first from the bottom side.

The orange cirles you drill from the top side.

After you drill the "red outlines" flip the hood to the top side. Align the hood scoops and get the placement of the "orange circles", and drill the "orange circles" from the top side.

The open slot has to be 4inch in diameter and needs to be 3/8 of an inch from the curver on the hood.

Hope the helps.....if you need more help, I took in progress photos.

-r

pattern.jpg

nice pic..... i usually start with the 2 red holes at the rear of the hood.. once they are drilled dead center of the predrilled underside holes i lay the scoop on top of the hood.. i put a lil dap of permatex on the bottom of the next two studs forward and lay the scoop on the hood centering the rear studs over the holes i already drilled.. then i just keep going forward until they are all drilled.. then i go up drill sizes till the scoops sit flat.. the first time i put a set on i couldn't believe the sixe of the holes needed to mount the,...

pattern.jpg

pattern.jpg

I have a couple of 340 hoods at home, and I will measure the openings. I think it is 4-1/8 off top of head. I will also take some picks of the factory 72 340 Demon cutouts which are off course different. AFAIK, even my non-scooped Dart hoods have the underside holes, will double-check that as well. Also, I don't think the dual-scoop setup used on the Duster (Twister?) were functional, so there may not be any attaching points. As a point of interest, I am sure that all 73-? Dart hoods have the underhood locators for the 69 simulated scoops. Same stamping.

Grant

yes stock hoods are an odd size like 4 1/8 or something.. if your not worried about 100% correct you will never notice the difference with a 4" hole.

What do you do now if you get caught in rain while driving?

i've been in major down pours with mine and never noticed water in the engin compartment from the scoops... i don't run the seals either.

Howdee....I'm the dude that sells the Mopar hood scoop seals on eBay. The old seals were flimsy pieces that dried out, cracked, and fell out. Mine are a non porus rubber material. The exact size of the factory hood holes is 4 1/8 inches. If you are cloning a 340 hood, don't be too worried about getting the holes exactly 4 1/8 inches since my seals have a very deep groove so anything between 4 inches to 4 3/8 inches is fine. The seals fit very tight and at first, you think they will not fit but you have to work the groove of the seal into the hole in the hood. A little bigger than a 4 inch hole is fine. I usually just cut the holes with a very fine jig saw metal cutting blade so you don't have to buy the expensive hole saw. The jig saw will bounce a lot on the hood so use a very fine blade and go slow. Also, put layers of masking tape down first if you are cutting on a finished painted hood so you don't get scratches. Dart hoods from 1970 to 1972 already have the indentations cut into the braces so its easy to see where the holes go (3/8 inch from the edge of the indentations). The 1 inch diam. holes through the braces are also roughed in and is where the studs on each side must go through so its easy to locate the other studs as already noted earlier. Nothing looks worse than scoops stuck on a Dart hood way out of place. I have attached the pic of my installation instructions below. If you need a set of these seals, get them from my eBay auction which I frequently have on.

Hood Scoop Mounting.jpg

Great information Hartman-52! Thanks for posting that. I most likely will be purchasing a set of your seals very soon.

Now, can anyone answer my question about the fasteners from my earlier post? I hate to spend $60 for the scoop hardware kit. Those of you that have the scoops, what do you use? Thanks.

Best bet is to just keep looking on Ebay and craigs list,also google search it.I have had really good luck finding most everything I need from these searches.I do the searches about 6 times a day. Let me know what you are looking for exactly .I am retired and have nothing else to do and I don't mind searching for you while I am on the computer looking sat things for myself.And the best thing of all is I AM FREE! I won't charge you nothing for helping you out.If I find what you need I just relay that information to you and you do the dealing! If it is something local to me I will even help with that if not too awfully far. So if I can help send me an e mail.

Bobby

I bought mine on ebay. Year One sells reproduction scoops but personally I wasn't that impressed with the quality and sent them back. However, if you have trouble finding a good used set, you could always go that route.

I won't bother posting pics of the Dart twinscoop setup since there's great pics already up. If you're looking for the setup for the 72 DualSnorkel setup, here's some pics of an orig. Note that even though the holes for the twin scoop are still there, additional holes have been punched for the later scoop.

Grant

hoodtopclose.JPG

hoodbtmclose.JPG

hoodbtm.JPG

It took me 5 hrs. to get them straight on my hood. That was 8 years ago. And no help from the web.

DSC_0165.jpg

0314081616.jpg

0314081615.jpg

Were these scoops setup for ram air, or did they just basically dump cold air into the engine bay when driving down the road ?

They just dump and they also act like a wing. My hood gets pretty light when going above 70mph. But they sure do look cool. :happy10: I bought mine for an unbelievably low price of $40 and that was with the original bezels. Painted them flat black till I redid my car. It has been so long since I put them on that I can't even remember how I did them, but pretty sure it was similar to the posts here. I think I did the rear 2 first and worked my way forward from the top of the hood.

I've been thinking/wanting for a long time to put the twin scoops on my 71 Duster.

First questions is what repro's are good and bad?

Second I know its mostly cosmetic but I can't imagine it wouldn;t help with under hood temps, yes or no?

Any rain issues? I'd figured of making foam plugs for when I was caught in the rain

The repros that I used to see in Year One I think had the chrome bezels molded on the scoops. So I wouldn't like them as I like the chrome man. But I just looked and they have a set with the chrome bezels so They have changed since Isaw them. But they were like $316 a pair!!!!! Quality I don't know but Year One is pretty reputable. If you find out who manufactures them you might be able to get them cheaper. Good luck. I agree that they probably do cool the engine compartment a bit by just letting th eair flow through.

I'm looking at a pair from PG Classic for $275 that have bezels -bolt in kind- and stud

Guys with originals are asking more then that

Yes they fit very nicely and lay flat on the hood. My painter was pretty impressed with them also. Here is a pic I took right after I got them. They are primed now and ready for paint but I will post a few other pics after they are on car.
DSC00805.jpg

I ordered the set from PG Classic the guy was good on the phone and they have a 100% satisfaction or your money back deal so I'll let you guys know in a few days

I've been thinking/wanting for a long time to put the twin scoops on my 71 Duster.

First questions is what repro's are good and bad?

Second I know its mostly cosmetic but I can't imagine it wouldn;t help with under hood temps, yes or no?

Any rain issues? I'd figured of making foam plugs for when I was caught in the rain

I have a 70 Dart. The scoops are original. I don't know how much they help with under hood temps. But it could not hurt any. The rubber seals are long gone on my car but I have never had a problem with rain at all. And that is with me taking the silencers/baffels out of the air filter.

There is room to go bigger than 4" holes in the hood. I have been thinking of getting a glass hood and drilling the hools all the way to the hood suport.

I got a set of scoops and seals but have an issue, the curve in the braceing for the 4 1/8" holes is non existant on my hood, all the other holes are there already though. Is this an issue?

I think you are referring to a Duster hood. AFAIK the 70-71 Dusters did NOT have holes in the hood, and only the Twister cosmetic package got the dual scoops. The hoods pictured above are 70-72 Dart/Demon hoods. They had the bracing cut.

Grant

-
Back