progression of my first complete rebuild

-

Hyperballsmcgee

Reaction score
hey FABO! always wanted to do EVERYTHING on a complete motor and I got the chance when I scooped up a '67 273 from a wrecked fish. so here's my progression pics and specs!
stock pistons, rods, and heads.
hasting rings
had to polish the crank quite a bit so clevite oversize bearings were used.
block honed real nice and easy as the cylinders were in good shape
3 angle valve job
swapped over to an eddy 4 barrel
hooker longtubes
comp cam, don't remember specs so I'll post the card
comp hydraulic lifters
melling oil pump
rest pretty much factory. all in a nice coat of Chrysler blue.

progress as of today, should have it running tomorrow! I'll try and post a video of the break in on the stand. things come a long way!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 413
thanks! I feel like I did pretty good for a first ever rebuild. the true test will be tomorrow wen we get it on the stand. I'll know real quick. lol

Very cool, Love a good 273! what's it going in?

It's especially cool that your gal is getting involved hands on. you just don't see enough of that kinda thing!

Your motor should really come alive with the new intake, cam and headers. keep us posted :burnout:

Love to watch these engine builds. You will have fun with that one. Looking forward to the video...tmm

had to polish the crank quite a bit so clevite oversize bearings were used.

did you mic up the journals to check the diameter before selecting your bearings?

While a highly worn crankshaft can be undersized. Oversized bearings are intended for worn out crankshaft journals that have been machined down to the next smallest size. usually in .010" increments. (ten thousandths of an inch). the oversize bearing takes up the difference.

Polishing with emery paper or similar abrasive typically won't reduce much material from the journal, usually it would be lucky to be .001"-.002" absolute tops. (one-two thousandths). It is very important to get your bearing clearances right or they will spin in their caps.

As you can imagine, If your bearing is oversize and your crank journal isn't undersize enough. you may have some serious problems with a bearing that is too tight.

yes absolutely EVERYTHING was mic'd. my girl and I are building it under the watch of Chuck Vaughn. he's done many restorations and some pretty hot builds for drag cars, hes had a couple of his motors on Stacey David and Overhaulin, among others. he's now the teacher of the automotive course at one of the colleges here in town, where me and my lady met.
sadly, we didn't get it running Friday due to small things like not enough water pump bolts, mismatched pulley set (a/c and non-a/c pulleys), finding out that my scamps tranny is shot for a second time, as well as a good kick-in-the-rear when I got to work to find out my boss sold the shop.
anyways, sometime this week though it will be running and I'll be sure to post a video.
as far as what its going in, we don't have a clue yet. we'll probably put it in one of Chuck's cars.

*UPDATE* we finally got it running and I couldn't be happier. oil pressure is steady at 100, 90 when warmed up, idles at 650, and twisted 7,000 rpm like it was nothing! I will see if I can post the videos. our accelerator pump was stuck in the video but that has been taken care of.

Cool! What 273 was it? I ditched the seized 2bbl 273 from my Dart for a dirt cheap like new 318 but I've been tempted to snag a Commando I've seen locally. Just need a car for it..

-
Back