Project 6-71 340 Demon

-
I did get some other stuff done. I installed the high volume oil pump. Both heads are now in place and torqued down. I started cleaning up the old oil pan and painted the harmonic balancer. Things went pretty smooth after the clip incident.

Pretty soon I will have to wait for parts to get here.

Jack

Attachments

• ONE HEAD.JPG
    159.3 KB · Views: 755
  • BOTH HEADS.JPG
    152.1 KB · Views: 784
I have a little more progress to report, sort of. Do you know what this is? Well, it's a piston pin clip. I found it when I went out to the garage this morning to continue working on the engine. It was in the bottom of the piston box. I knew I had put all the clips in, but why was this one there? I know you know what had to be done first today. I pulled every piston and re-installed every piston without changing a thing. All the clips were there and in place. This must have been an extra somebody threw in the box just to piss me off. Oh well, better safe than sorry.

Jack

Yup even though you know you did it better off to check! I get down the street and say did I shut the garage? I turn around and check, it's shut! Haaa

Fel-Pro 8553. They end up at .054 compressed. That should give me about 8.2 to 1 compression.

Jack

Those are stock replacement head gaskets and arent recomended for use with power adders. I would really consider getting different gaskets, even if the CR goes up slightly.....

Those are stock replacement head gaskets and arent recomended for use with power adders. I would really consider getting different gaskets, even if the CR goes up slightly.....

I took yours and others advice. Some said the 8553's would be o.k. Some said they wouldn't. All say the 1008's would good. So I looked around and found a set of them for $35 shipped. They will be going in, instead of the 8553's. Not a big deal to change them at this point.

Jack

My patience finally paid off. Bought a 6-71 setup today. I will have to get an intake and probably have to change the snout but I should be good to go. I got what I think is a real good deal on it. When all is said and done, I should have about $4000 into the entire project, that's how good a deal I got on the blower.

Here's a pic of what I bought.

Attachments

• mini-thepumpdump 822.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 703
Awesome! That'll be cool. Looks like you have a nice assortment of drive pulley's too.

My blower showed up today. It was as advertised by the seller so I am happy. I picked up a Modman intake from Indy cylinder as well. The shippers didn't take any pity on it, the boxes were beat to a snot. The only damage I could find was a bent throttle lever on one carb. I straightened it out and all is good. I have to clean and polish everything but all looks good. Here's a pic of it on my kitchen table warming up after being outside for a day.

Jack

Attachments

• BENT CARB.JPG
    133.8 KB · Views: 628
  • BLOWER ON TABLE.JPG
    148.9 KB · Views: 619
Are you giddy with excitement yet? You should be - and if not, you will be when you drive it. I see you have the 1/2" pitch drive. Be sure you don't over-tighten the belt. They should fairly loose when cold. You'll be surprised at how much they tighten up as everything expands.

nice, a REAL blower! I just have a mini blower I'm trying to put together as money allows. :)

nice jack,that things gonna be bad! nothing like a roots blower to liven things up!:p

Are you giddy with excitement yet? You should be - and if not, you will be when you drive it. I see you have the 1/2" pitch drive. Be sure you don't over-tighten the belt. They should fairly loose when cold. You'll be surprised at how much they tighten up as everything expands.

I'm still real new to this and yes, the wife said I was like a kid at Christmas last night. LOL

I got an array of pulleys with it as well. the idler is a 3 inch as is the belt. I also have 30 and 39 tooth 3 inch pulleys. Also 33, 37 and 38 tooth 3 1/2 inch pulleys. Can you mix and match these pulleys seeing as I have a 3 inch idler. It would be good because I want to sneak up on the boost levels and with that 30 tooth pulley I could really underdrive it.

Jack

I don't know what you mean by "offset pulley", please explain so I know.

Jack

A 'center flange' pulley has the mounting flange centered in the pulley.
An 'offset' pulley will have a mounting flange offset, like 3/4"
A standard pulley has the mounting flange at the end of the pulley.

Sometimes is beneficial to use an offset pulley instead of a spacer or a snout change.
For example, if your snout is too long, you can use an offset pulley to locate the upper pulley in line with the crank pulley. It's cheaper than replacing a snout.

That makes sense. I have a mixed bag of them. The two 3 inch pulleys are offset and the three 3 1/2 inch pulleys are flat.

Jack

I likey! That twin intake scoop with the working butterflys will really look cool if you run it.

Next up after it runs is... stroker? Check out the crate engine Indy has - 725HP!

http://www.indyheads.com/408smallblock.html

Notice the offset distributor they had to use? Not sure why they didn't use alum heads. What is with the square ex ports? See how they had to externally plum an elec water pump? Might make your PS / PBs easier to fit.

408.jpg

cutaway408.jpg

-
Back