Project: "Daddy's Cool Cool Green Green Car" Build

-

SassyGrassScamp

My Addiction Has Begun
Reaction score
Alright....The madness has begun!

I posted an intro a few days ago and promised pix.

I just bought this '71 Sassy Grass Green Plymouth Valiant "Scamp" and think I've got a pretty solid platform for my build. She's now equipped with a 225 slant six/904 automatic and drums all around. My intentions are to drop in a 360 (stroked to a 408 ) with an 833 4-speed and most likely a Ford 9"....Front discs and upgraded torsion bars are a must....I'm also thinking of doing a spring relocation to accomodate slightly larger tires, but don't want to do a mini tub.

I drove the car into my garage complete and the following pix are after a few days of DEMOLITION!!!! All the glass and trim are out/off and the engine is coming out as we speak....Doors are coming off next and I am going to start with all the sheet metal patches and body work along with prepping the engine bay, trunk, jambs and interior sheet metal for prime and paint.

I promised my wife (who is pregnant and due in March) that I would spend VERY LITTLE MONEY over the next year if she gave me her blessing to buy it....I have the COOLEST wife.

If you are wondering, my thread title and project name came from my 3 year old daughter who calls it "Daddy's cool cool green green car"....She's a real PIP!

Any tips, pics, opinions, are welcomed and needed....I'm looking forward to the knowledge here and hopefully I can return some.

Thanks!

This is how she came home:
Scamp.jpg

This is how she is now:
IMG_2321.jpg

IMG_2322.jpg

IMG_2342.jpg

IMG_2384.jpg

IMG_2344.jpg

IMG_2399.jpg

IMG_2398.jpg

IMG_2409.jpg

IMG_2421.jpg

IMG_2422.jpg

It might be a lot cheaper to build the lil pink Jeep in the back of pic 4 lol

Have fun with it, you've got some quarter work to do my friend, but god I love that color =P~

It might be a lot cheaper to build the lil pink Jeep in the back of pic 4 lol

Have fun with it, you've got some quarter work to do my friend, but god I love that color =P~

Cheaper yes, but no less frustrating....That damn thing took me forever to put together!

The color is why I bought her, I love it too....The quarter work looks worse than it is....The trunk drop offs are shot....I won't know the extent of the inner wheelhouse damage until I cut the quarters back even further, but the rust is pretty typical.

Glad to see you joined this forum, I talked to you at the Autobody site the other day. :-D

That color really is great!
You may have to put a little sign in the window saying it's the factory color, because it's hard to believe.
Pretty cool...8)

Thanks Rob....It's a small world!

Especially with the internet, don't know how I lived without it.

Looks like you have your work cut out for you, just keep picking away and it'll get done eventually. I'm in the middle of a pretty big mess of a car build myself, non-mopar though so I have to do it in secrecy :evil4:

Cool colour..same dash guage cluster as our '75 duster.

You have you work cut out for you..

With your first child..you wife is busier..when the second on comes..YOU are busier ....so start doing the work on Greenie quickly..

Ian.

You're a braver man than I...thank God for rust-free, SoCal steel!

You'll find some very helpful folks here. I'm 85% done with my own '71 Scamp, so may be able to help you when it comes to sourcing parts.

Best of luck! And remember, no detail is too small to share here!

Update:

Here she is after the engine and trans removal....I sold the slant six and 904 auto for half of what I paid for the car!

Not much of an update, but progress is coming.

Next, the doors are coming off and I will begin working on the engine bay, patching the small rust spots on the inner front fenders.

IMG_2432.jpg

IMG_2433.jpg

IMG_2434.jpg

IMG_2435.jpg

IMG_2438.jpg

Sleeping for the night.
IMG_2436.jpg

cool. i remember seeing that on cl, if i didnt have 2 abodies, i think i would have picked it up. i actually saw 2 different scamps that color for sale in the last year.

cool. i remember seeing that on cl, if i didnt have 2 abodies, i think i would have picked it up. i actually saw 2 different scamps that color for sale in the last year.

I'm glad I grabbed her when I did....I don't think she would have lasted much longer.

No real progress worthy of pix....I ground all the filler out of the quarter/roof seams and have cut all of the rust out of the quarters, rockers and the two small spots in the engine bay....Next project is to remove the doors and get to stripping all the parts from the engine bay to begin prepping for primer.

I'm looking to convert to a 4spd and need all the parts....If anyone has pedals, hump, etc., please PM me.

Until next time....:thumbrig:

Here's a minor update of progress on my Scamp....Haven't done much other than compiled a few parts, and gathered tons of knowledge....I designed and tacked together a set 4 of homemade dollies to attach to the bumper mounts....I'll post pix when I get them back from the welder, but they will enable me to roll the car in and out of the garage, and from side to side to better work on her....Anyway, here are a few pix, and hopefully work will progress.

I bought this hump and a pedal set-up from a FABO member....Here are before and after shots:
IMG_3175.jpg

IMG_3443.jpg
http://i41.photobucke

Here are the pedals:
IMG_3444.jpg

Here is the Z-Bar reinforcing bracket ready for plug welds:
IMG_3445.jpg

And finally, a couple of shots of some of the exploration into the body work....First is the roof seam(s) ground out, and the second is the inner fenders getting prepped for new sheet metal:
IMG_3449.jpg

IMG_3446.jpg

Until next time :thumbrig:

Keep up the good work!
BTW, in my opinion....Sassy is the best color Mopar ever made. I got a 69 Charger Im planning on painting J6. I got the body work pretty much done and have sprayed a few parts, but not the car yet.
Here is the front valance....
DSC_0138.jpg

Good luck with your project,
Jason

Keep up the good work!
BTW, in my opinion....Sassy is the best color Mopar ever made. I got a 69 Charger Im planning on painting J6. I got the body work pretty much done and have sprayed a few parts, but not the car yet.
Here is the front valance....
DSC_0138.jpg

Good luck with your project,
Jason

Seeing that color sprayed fresh makes me want to get some color on the beast! Looks great!

Looking good. Weld that Z bar bracket up real good. I had mine almost come off on me. Keep at it and good luck.

Nice! Looks pretty solid actually. My Dart is worse,lol! How are the floor pans and frame rails?

Small update to my boring thread, but things will be picking up slowly....

Fabbed a set of homemade dollies, one for each corner of the car, to allow me to roll her in, out, and around the garage....With little space, it's nice to be able to push her to one side of the garage to work on the other.

IMG_3707.jpg

Set the dollies in place and it was clear thet the red wheels are too small....They're supposedly rated for 380lbs each, but they don't roll well.

IMG_3709.jpg

IMG_3708.jpg

I went out and bought new larger wheels rater for 450lbs each, so hopefully they'll roll better.

IMG_3757.jpg

IMG_3758.jpg

Great start to a great project, i'm subscribed and ready for more pics :p

If you cant get any satisfaction with those wheels,heres ones that I can attest too as being fantastic.

I bought a set of tirescates and I must say that my Dart rolls about VERY easily even with the usual debris on the garage floor.

The wheels are sold separately.

If you cant get any satisfaction with those wheels,heres ones that I can attest too as being fantastic.

I bought a set of tirescates and I must say that my Dart rolls about VERY easily even with the usual debris on the garage floor.

The wheels are sold separately.

A friend of mine uses the tireskates and they work great....I fabbed mine to connect to the frame so I can drop all the suspension out and still have the car mobile.

-
Back