Project Mayhem 70-73 Dart

-

Badart

Reaction score
Just giving you guys an update on the dart before I tear it apart for the winter. I bought this basket case earlier this year for $700 from a guy that had bastardized the entire car. Including butchered spring over rear suspension and the spring shackles had been removed so the springs could be welded solid to the frame. I am guessing so he could get the rear up in the air to clear the wheels and tires. Check out the pictures. Motorcraft 2bl carb with 2 adapter plates. The wiring was hacked.

On a good note it did come with a rebuilt bottom end on the 318 including flat top pistons and a rebuilt 904. Hooker headers, new 3" flowmaster dual exhaust and a front end rebuild kit.

Dart day 1.jpg

Pulling dart.jpg

Stupid.jpg

Stupid1.jpg

My ultimate plans are a 440/727 combo that I have sitting in the corner of my garage waiting to be built, but I may as well get the 318 running so I can drive it while I am doing body work and gathering parts.
I As soon as I got the car home I pulled out the engine and trans. Tore down the engine and replaced the oil pump and checked rod and main bearings and retorqued everthing. Installed a Comp XE256 cam and lifters. Rebuilt Magnum heads with the Chebby behive springs and retainers. .028 head gasket. Magnum dual plane air gap intake and holley 4160 600 cfm carb. Gear drive (because I like the sound). Accel dist. New power steering pump and water pump.

The 904 got a TF-2 shift improver kit, Mopar performance 2200 stall convertor and a B&M magnum shifter. Since installing the engine, trans and wiring harness from a donor 74 duster I have driven it down the country back roads a few times.

I am very impressed by this little 318. It is a screamer. Here is the link a little video that I took right after breaking in the cam. I have since tuned the carb and timing. http://www.flickr.com/photos/29209642@N00/3786346360/

Done engine.jpg

shifter.jpg

I didn't plan on changing the front end because I don't mind the 73 model, but I got a smokin' deal on a complete 70-71 front clip and I couldn't pass it up.

Front end.jpg

Front end1.jpg

Here is my temporary gauge cluster until I can fab up a stainless insert with aftermarket speedo. More stuff coming daily. 8)

gauges.jpg

I have now completly rebuilt the front end. Here is the wheel and tire combo that I am going with. The fronts are summit pulsar wheels 15x4 and the rears are american racing trackstar 15x12 on 325/60/15. The car did come with discs and the BBP, so that helps. I like the pro street look and yes the dart is getting full tubs. :cheers:

fronts.jpg

Wheels and tires.jpg

good start....and what the hell was the dude before you thinking on that rear end ???? Wow....

Keep us informed... thanks for saving that car !

-RPM

good start....and what the hell was the dude before you thinking on that rear end ???? Wow....

Keep us informed... thanks for saving that car !

-RPM

Thanks. I don't know what this guy was doing and apparently neither did he.

Thanks burnt. Here are a few more parts that are getting installed soon. It's a Chris Alston Chassisworks 4-Link. I will be welding in a custom crossmember and beefing up the surrounding area. The coilover shocks will be here soon. The big bearing 9" is getting narrowed by myself and having 31 spline axles made. It is also getting a detroit locker and 3.89 gears. With stronger yokes and U joints added later. I would like to be able to drop in the 440 when it is done so I don't have to worry about breaking the rear.

Gears%20and%20locker.jpg

4-link.jpg

Recovered the rear seat tonight. By the way recovering seats sucks. One of the front buckets that I picked up from C_Stripes is now covered and installed. I am going with black carpet and panels and white covers. Got my carpet set a few weeks ago also.

Rear seat.jpg

carpet.jpg

Wow, I love that tire/wheel combo. Make sure you post plenty of pictures of the interior swap out. Our 74 Swinger will hopefully get new carpet, seats, etc this spring.
When you re-covered the seats, how many "hands" did it take and just how time consuming was it to do the back seat?

Wow, I love that tire/wheel combo. Make sure you post plenty of pictures of the interior swap out. Our 74 Swinger will hopefully get new carpet, seats, etc this spring.
When you re-covered the seats, how many "hands" did it take and just how time consuming was it to do the back seat?

The rear seat wasn't bad at all. I did it by myself in about 2 hours. It just takes quite a bit of pulling. The buckets are a huge pain because there are rods that go down in the creases and are held in place by hog rings.

Your 75 is looking good. It has come a long way since you picked it up. I have been following your thread.

Just an update so you guys don't think that I am slacking. Started installing the 6pack scoop on the dart. Using some advice from here, I decided to drill and champher holes along the edges and use flush bolts. I bonded the scoop using panel adhesive just to make sure that it won't move. The guy at the auto paint supply store recommended Mar-Glass then a coat of regular mud over it. So far so good. Now I just have a ton of sanding and smoothing to do. Hope fully there won't be any cracks for a while, but this car will never be a show car, just a driver.

Hood.jpg

Hood1.jpg

looks great with that 71 grill love it were did ya get the scoop and is it funtional and if you dont mind how much did it cost i was lookin in to getin one for my 71

how are you gonna make the body lines meet the 71 clip looks like it has diffrent body lines than the rest of the car are you replaceing th quarters or leaving it alone?

looks great with that 71 grill love it were did ya get the scoop and is it funtional and if you dont mind how much did it cost i was lookin in to getin one for my 71

I bought the scoop from this guy on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/D-C-...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Seems to be a quality piece. I did have to modify the ridge at the base of the front of the scoop because it was too high and I think it was designed for a different hood. I just ground it down and patched the base with a fiberglass patch kit. It does have these mounting tabs inside of it, but I chose to not use them.

how are you gonna make the body lines meet the 71 clip looks like it has diffrent body lines than the rest of the car are you replaceing th quarters or leaving it alone?

The body lines actually match up perfect. I think that the duster doors are throwing you off.

oh it must be i didnt know they were off a duster they looked like they didnt match up lol that is gonna be a mean ride

-
Back