Project Mayhem 70-73 Dart

-
badart that is going to be one awesome looking car when you get it done. what color are you going to paint it? some day i want to paint my 73 dart eather viper yellow with a black tail strip or viper red. also i would love to put a 71 dart front end on mine. here are a couple of pics of my 73 440 dart. look forward to seeing your car all done. Mopar65

100_0523 (Large).jpg

100_0521 (Large).jpg

100_0518 (Large).jpg

DSC_0038_510 (Large).jpg

Looking good man!

I like what you have done with the front end, and look forward to the progress of this ride.

Dang, those welds on the rear shackles were pretty scary to me.
I'm thinking either that guy had zero patience or was welding with his eyes closed because he had no weldor's goggles.

I'm digging those Summit wheels too.
Do you have any side pics of the car with a better look at those wheels?

Great shot of the hood. Yea, 71 dart and I seem to be after any 6 pack hood that comes up!! I had a scoop like that and sold it . Now I think I'll buy another. You got it from MAS racing?

badart that is going to be one awesome looking car when you get it done. what color are you going to paint it? some day i want to paint my 73 dart eather viper yellow with a black tail strip or viper red. also i would love to put a 71 dart front end on mine. here are a couple of pics of my 73 440 dart. look forward to seeing your car all done. Mopar65

Thanks Mopar65. You have one sweet looking and quick 73 there. Beautiful 440 under the hood too. I don't know what color I will paint it yet. I think I will drive it in primer for a while before I tear it apart for paint and the new motor.

Looking good man!

I like what you have done with the front end, and look forward to the progress of this ride.

Dang, those welds on the rear shackles were pretty scary to me.
I'm thinking either that guy had zero patience or was welding with his eyes closed because he had no weldor's goggles.

I'm digging those Summit wheels too.
Do you have any side pics of the car with a better look at those wheels?

Thanks cudaspaz. I love tubbed darts and already had the 9" and 4-link for another project, but after what this guy did to the shackle mounting points and the rear I may as well put them on the dart. As soon as I get the rear taken care of I will post some pics. Maybe next spring.

I hate body work!:thebirdm: I just have one more skim coat of mud and it is ready for paint. For now the Dart will be flat black until I decide what motor I am going to build. Stroked 360 or 440?:dontknow: I already have both engines and trannys sitting in the garage. Any suggestions?

Hood2.jpg

Personally I Like Big Blocks It Just Sounds Mean "ya Its Got A 440" Big Blocks Are Cool But Gas Hogs Big Block Is The Way To Go It Would Really Set The Car Off

Thanks for the input guys. I am now leaning towards a SB stroker build as long as the 360 block checks out alright at the machine shop. Well I finally finished installing the scoop. Another coat of primer, a good wet sand and a couple of coats of flat black and it should be looking pretty good.

Hood3.jpg

John, I don't know how I missed this thread till now. The car is coming along great. Can't wait to see it Saturday. As for BB or SB, you already know my opinion. I love those small blocks. :)

Thanks for asking. No pics right now. Once I get the hood finished and installed I will be yanking out the old rear and cutting out the wheel wells for the tubs and mocking up the 4-link and 9". So much work.

I went over to Johns today and saw the old girl. Let me tell you, that 318 sounds better than most big blocks I have been around. The car is coming along great. Can't wait to see it out on the road!

Well I guess I'm definatly building a small block. I traded my complete 73 440 for a complete virgin 5.9 magnum with a set of hooker comp headers. Now I have 2 360s to choose from an LA and a roller. I'm picking it up on saturday. I hope the magnum heads don't have the normal valve cracks.

Well I guess I'm definatly building a small block. I traded my complete 73 440 for a complete virgin 5.9 magnum with a set of hooker comp headers. Now I have 2 360s to choose from an LA and a roller. I'm picking it up on saturday. I hope the magnum heads don't have the normal valve cracks.

hughesengines has a new stroker kit 426 ci from 360 block , looks pretty mean you should check it out

nice car btw

hughesengines has a new stroker kit 426 ci from 360 block , looks pretty mean you should check it out

nice car btw

My plans are a stroked 360 for sure, but for the time being I will run the 318 until I finish the rest of the car and collect parts for the stroker.

I finished to hood tonight and will mount it tommorrow. Then My plans are to start on the tubs and 4-link. Wahoo!

Been busy measuring and starting to mock up the rear. I have to take out roughly 12" or so out of the rear. I will know more once I do a final measurment. I will have modify the backing plates on my 8.8 disc brakes to work and also turn down my new axles (once I order them) ends to clear the rotors. The Competition Engineering coilover shocks are on the way and I think my custom crossmember should work fine. I plan on welding it in as well as running sleeves and backing plates through the frame rails. More to come.

Rear1.jpg

Rear2.jpg

I may modify the crossmember with a complete drive shaft loop that runs over the top also. I am really debating on running the 3.50 ratio gears that came in the 9". I might run them since the pinion depth is already set and the gears look to be in great shape and don't think installing the detroit locker should screw it up too much. I could always swap out to the 3.89 ratio later.

It's funny because everyone who sees the car asks me the same question. "Will this be street legal?" It's a street car.

I will have to take out 11.5" total from the housing and axles. 7" from the right and 4.5" from the drivers side. This will put me 56" hub to hub. This 31 spline axle housing that came from a bronco was offset 2.5" to the drivers side. My plans are to narrow the housing myself and order axles. The good news is that it will work with custom axles and with some small modifications the disc brakes will bolt right up. Wahoo! One step closer.

Looking good John, I can't wait to see that sucker out on the road. If there is anything I can help with, let me know.

-
Back