Project Midnight Swinger

-
After pressure washing. I found some white numbers under the paint.

IMG_3260.jpeg

IMG_3261.jpeg

Hit it with a wire brush, still couldn’t get some of the factory paint off!

@MOPARMAGA I got the 489 restored to its former glory, time to stuff some 3.91’s and a sure grip in it.

IMG_3264.jpeg

IMG_3263.jpeg

IMG_3265.jpeg

That's cool, I love finding factory numbers on parts. Like the 4 speed you have those numbers were under 1/4 inch of crud
Me too. It’s crazy how some of those marking can survive the years of crud and corrosion. Then get hit with chemicals, and a wire brush,and they are still there.

Me too. It’s crazy how some of those marking can survive the years of crud and corrosion. Then get hit with chemicals, and a wire brush,and they are still thereb
Modern paint probably wouldn't hold on like that

Interior pulled, body plugs and wire holders removed. You can see the PO didn’t remove the body plugs or prep the floor before coating everything in por15. Now I get to fix that mistake.

IMG_3268.jpeg

IMG_3269.jpeg

IMG_3270.jpeg

Last edited:
Got some help with the backing plates, they both love working on the “big block”, and resprayed the new housing.

IMG_3293.jpeg

IMG_3295.jpeg

IMG_3296.jpeg

IMG_8334.jpeg

IMG_8327.jpeg

IMG_8330.jpeg

IMG_3328.jpeg

Nice starting with a clean housing.
I sent mine to the local sand-blaster, he did a great job, well worth the $20 he charged me.

One more project started. The speedway gauge bezel fits like total **** in (my) factory bezel. Lots of fitting/grinding and now the brushed surface aint so pretty.

All good, after I epoxy the aluminum bezel to the plastic bezel I’ll be painting the whole thing. Maybe an appliqué? The interior is all black, so I’d like to break it up, maybe carbon fiber.

IMG_3358.jpeg

IMG_3360.jpeg

71062069791__DE6F38F1-B12D-45E3-B2CF-6F71EEF7657E.jpeg

IMG_3363.jpeg

No going back now. If you don’t mark the cut out for your four-speed hump with hemi orange paint, do you even Mopar?

I was too intimidated to cut over the torsion bar cross member, so I’ll save it for another day. Or can I leave it as is? How close do the shift rods get to the torsion bar crossmember?

IMG_3365.jpeg

IMG_3366.jpeg

7 1/4 is out, had to do some sketchy jack/wood block maneuver to make it happen. Getting some help from a FABO brother building the 8 3/4 tomorrow.

IMG_3387.jpeg

IMG_3394.jpeg

IMG_3395.jpeg

IMG_3396.jpeg

Nothing looks sketchy on how you took it out, jack stands under the frame, let it swing down.
The same way I took the 7.25 out in my gravel driveway.
Bolted in new springs, paid my step-son and neighbor kid $20 to lift the complete 8.75 up in it, worth every bit of $20.
Kids were happy. I got the rear under my Duster.

Nothing looks sketchy on how you took it out, jack stands under the frame, let it swing down.
The same way I took the 7.25 out in my gravel driveway.
Bolted in new springs, paid my step-son and neighbor kid $20 to lift the complete 8.75 up in it, worth every bit of $20.
Kids were happy. I got the rear under my Duster.
Getting it done is all that matters. I didn’t take a picture of the sketchy part, but I used a wood block to extend my cheap jacks reach. It worked and I’m alive hahaha.

Getting it done is all that matters. I didn’t take a picture of the sketchy part, but I used a wood block to extend my cheap jacks reach. It worked and I’m alive hahaha.
I had 12 xx 12" pieces of OSB board under my jack stands, on a slight grade on gravel.
Nothing to see here.

Today is the 1 year anniversary of the start of this thread, and the beginning of Project Midnight Swinger. I’ve got a fellow FABO member coming over to help me rebuild my first differential.

Getting the 489 case stuffed with 3.91’s and a sure grip with rebuild parts from @DoctorDiff and a 1350 yoke from another FABO member.

IMG_3399.jpeg

-
Back