Project Midnight Swinger

-
Thank you to @mopowers for teaching me how to build the 8 3/4 center section. We almost got it done, tomorrow I will go over to his place to finish up.

IMG_3402.jpeg

I was dying at the end there, good time to call it quits!
Shoot, when you look at it, we were at it for about 4-hours. It'll be done in another 30 mins. So, 4 hrs 30 mins (half of which was spent bs'ing), start to finish. Not bad for a couple of boneheads without the 'proper' tools.

I wonder how long it takes the pros start to finish to set up an 8-3/4 diff with all new parts and no baseline on shims. It's gotta be a couple hours, right?

Shoot, when you look at it, we were at it for about 4-hours. It'll be done in another 30 mins. So, 4 hrs 30 mins (half of which was spent bs'ing), start to finish. Not bad for a couple of boneheads without the 'proper' tools.

I wonder how long it takes the pros start to finish to set up an 8-3/4 diff with all new parts and no baseline on shims. It's gotta be a couple hours, right?
I got quoted 4 hours shop time when I checked with a diff shop in WA. That was $450 you just saved me.

I got quoted 4 hours shop time when I checked with a diff shop in WA. That was $450 you just saved me.
That is a bend over and take it price, local shop here is $100, and he gave me a gallon of gear lube.

I have yet to put the 4.30 gears in my Duster to replace the 3.23.
He also told me the best way to break in gears, is to run it easy down the road for at least 15 minutes to warm the rear end up.
Park it over night repeat 2 more times. Basically heat cycle the gears to set the wear pattern.

That is a bend over and take it price, local shop here is $100, and he gave me a gallon of gear lube.

He also told me the best way to break in gears, is to run it easy down the road for at least 15 minutes to warm the rear end up.
Park it over night repeat 2 more times. Basically heat cycle the gears to set the wear pattern.
That’s the west coast for you, everything is expensive. I think the guy just didn’t want to do it.

I think that price is only marginally higher than I paid to have my 489 case set up with my spool and new gears last summer. This is in the Detroit area.

And then there's that break-in thing. I wasn't putting the street tires and mufflers on the car and driving it on the streets at that time. So the break-in was a warmup down the return road prior to the track going live, then a burnout, then an 11-sec something pass!!

I think that price is only marginally higher than I paid to have my 489 case set up with my spool and new gears last summer. This is in the Detroit area.

And then there's that break-in thing. I wasn't putting the street tires and mufflers on the car and driving it on the streets at that time. So the break-in was a warmup down the return road prior to the track going live, then a burnout, then an 11-sec something pass!!
yeah i mostly ran the gears in on my anglia gasser driving on 2 wheels, lol.

Very big shout out to Cass, @DoctorDiff. I ordered some custom length axles for my 8 3/4 Tues 7/18 at 11 am PST. They were on my doorstep today when I got home. Just in time for my birthday tomorrow. I was definitely surprised they showed up so fast.

IMG_3435.jpeg

Happy Birthday, why did you order it with long wheel studs?

Happy belated birthday. This project has been great to see, inspirational to fuel me/ others! Thank you for sharing your journey with us! Takes me back to high school and midnight mania on my Valiant.

Happy Bday Jared! Looks like a good productive day before it warmed up. What's up next once the rearend's in place?
Thanks man! I’ve got the gauge cluster that needs to be finished, epoxy, paint and it’s done. I want to start on the metal work soon, but it’s so damn hot. Then it’s wiring, motor assembly, 4 speed/clutch assembly, and the final mechanical piece will be a driveshaft. Seems like a lot but I’m just plugging along.

71175753968__D2D52872-D4D6-4638-A0AE-E67B1AE74FE8.jpeg

-
Back