Project Riddler's Ride - 1976 Plymouth Duster

-
The geometry is all wrong, I tried 150# springs and it did not work properly. You have to move them to inside the engine compartment ( like I did ) then they work great.

Actually I almost have it. I moved the top mount up the hinge and the bottom mount towards the firewall and it will hold the hood open at most angles and locks open at the top. A good friend of mine has suggested a bracket off the bottom to create more leverage. Remember I'm only using 90lbs struts so if I jump upto 150lbs struts I'm sure it'll work alot better.

Riddler

Here's a couple of pictures of how I have them struts set up now. Where there at now will help to lift the hood and they hold the hood open at almost any angle. When the hood is fully open the struts can keep it open in a decent wind.

Hood Open
IMG_0376.jpg

Hood Closed
IMG_0377.jpg

Riddler

is that still using the 90lbs struts?
I knew you almost had it, just needed a little fine tuning.

Very nice hope you don't mind me stealing you plans. I am going to do the lower mount a little different, but very nice.

Thanks for doing the hard part, I was sure it would work and still be mostly hidden.

Well all is not done yet. I still see issues with the strut being in the way when the fenders get put on the car. I have a second set of hood hinges and if things don't work out this way, my plan is to do what tincup did and install a set into the engine bay.

But I do think with 150lbs struts and a possible bracket off the hinge it'll work.

Oh I also think you should share your trunk release and trunk struts....what do you say?

Riddler

ok, i will post pics tomorrow of the struts in the trunk and where I put the electric latch.

Well on Saturday, Jim and I made some more progress on the car and finished off the minitubs. The work completed looks amazing and to think we did this with a mig welder and angle grinders is amazing. Just imagine if we had the right tools...

Please bear in mind the heat was killer, 90 degree's with extreme humidity.

These pictures show the first tub completed and tacked in. Afterwards Jim went back and completed stitch welds for strength.
DSC_0569.jpg

DSC_0570.jpg

DSC_0571.jpg

DSC_0572.jpg

DSC_0575.jpg

This is the second side. Here you can see the patch panels I made out of sheet metal.
DSC_0573.jpg

Through the taillight views, driver's side then passenger. While I was going to be seam sealing the tubs I fixed the trunk extension on the passenger side and got it ready for new seal seal.
DSC_0576.jpg

DSC_0574.jpg

Inside the car view. As you can see I still need to replace the seatbelt mounts. Any idea if replacement seatbelt mounts are available?
DSC_0577.jpg

DSC_0578.jpg

The cross braces for the back seat welded back in.
DSC_0579.jpg

DSC_0580.jpg

Now to finally finish the minitubs off, we need to put some better welds on the bottom of the cross braces, replace the seatbelt mounts, and cut the trunk arm braces and reweld them on.

Riddler

Looking good, did you ever get the hood prop angle finally figured out...cause thats a very cool modification.

The hood prop struts are waiting for parts and time. I'm going to get some steel and made some brackets off the arms. I'm also going to buy some bigger struts, I'm hoping for 125lbs a side.

Riddler

Riddler I am also waiting for some strut rods and if it works I will post some pics. It is similar to what you have got just with a small difference. I will let you know what I come up with.

The mini tubs look good by the way, but I thought it stayed cool in Canada.
You are talking like you are in Texas or something. LOL

Looking good Joe!Just a FYI,I got my seam sealer from CarQuest..is Color Fow,black seam sealer part # 32020(CFC).This should help with sealing around your mini-tubs.Good Luck.:toothy7:

Well I haven't done alot fo work but I did get some stuff done on the weekend.

I seam sealed most of the tubs on the inside of the car. Still have to do the outside and inner wheel wells.
IMG_0588.jpg

I then put down a good layer of POR15. I'm not even sure I'm going to keep the spare tire area as I might go with a fuel tank that drops in through the trunk.

IMG_0594.jpg

IMG_0595.jpg

I've still got to do the inner quaters with POR15. I also have a few holes to weld up as well as tack the trunk hinge braces back to the tubs.

Riddler

Well I haven't done alot fo work but I did get some stuff done on the weekend.

I seam sealed most of the tubs on the inside of the car. Still have to do the outside and inner wheel wells.
IMG_0588.jpg

I then put down a good layer of POR15. I'm not even sure I'm going to keep the spare tire area as I might go with a fuel tank that drops in through the trunk.

IMG_0594.jpg

IMG_0595.jpg

I've still got to do the inner quaters with POR15. I also have a few holes to weld up as well as tack the trunk hinge braces back to the tubs.

Riddler

looks great,with the por 15 you can't tell it was mini tubbed.

Well I finally got my butt out into the garage today. I decided since I was dead broke from buying the T56 Viper transmission I would do some of the crappy time consuming work that needs to be done but no one likes to do.

I welded for the first time today. My welder has been busy during the race season as well as with work/family obligations. The picture shows you why I shouldn't weld. :)
IMG_0606.jpg

Doesn't really matter though since I grinded it down smooth and applied seam sealer over the welds. What your seeing is the trunk lid hinge brackets re-attached to the tubs.
IMG_0607.jpg

Then I moved on with the tube of seam sealer and did inside the tub where the wheels are. I'm planning to paint this area over with POR15 and then spray a rubberized gravel guard in there to protect the metal and help with some noise reduction.

IMG_0608.jpg

IMG_0609.jpg

Once all this is completed and I can purchase a Quicktime Bellhousing and T56 transmission mount I'll be mocking an engine/trans in and fabricating a center hump.

Riddler

Well on Friday I found some time as my wife and son went shopping. I decided to try and complete the minitubs and get them squared away.

Here I show you what Ihave left. The old seatbelt mount was rotted away and I needed a new seatbelt anchor.
IMG_0618.jpg

Here I show you how bad my welding it. While I penetrate the metal, I don't have a nice clean weld.
IMG_0619.jpg

Inside view
IMG_0620.jpg

Now with the metal replaced I grinded the welds down flat and seam sealed over it all.
IMG_0623.jpg

Inside view
IMG_0624.jpg

After all that dried I painted POR15 over everything to protect it. I did the entire trunk, the rear seat area and the inside tubs.
IMG_0621.jpg

IMG_0622.jpg

IMG_0626.jpg

IMG_0627.jpg

My plan is to put sound deadner on the inside of the car and then use rocker guard inside the tubs to cover the POR15 as it has no UV protection. Don't want the sun breaking it down.

Riddler

I have project Scamp going on and I keep changing it
and since it's having a hodgepodge of parts I decided
on calling it WHAT IN THE HELL IS IT
Good luck

Here I show you how bad my welding it. While I penetrate the metal, I don't have a nice clean weld.
IMG_0619.jpg

Riddler

Nice BOOGER welds. :cheers: :poke: :thumblef: :dontknow: :headbang: :thumbup:

Not that mine would be any better. lol At least it'll be covered up and out of site.

Wylde1.

My buddy at work who is an accomplished fabricator saw my fist welds (similar to yours) and told me "You're not a welder, you're a grinder!" lol

Maybe he's seen me play hockey? lol

Keep up the good work!

Don't feel bad I have been trying for years and sometimes I can weld good and sometimes it looks like garbage, The main point is it is done by you and it looks good.
So keep up the nice work, the car is coming around nicely.

About six weeks back I sent Modo Innovations some pedals. In the box they recieved every pedal that is used for A Bodies. I sent:

Manual 4 speed pedals
Automatic Pedal
Gas Pedal
DBW Hemi Pedal

I'm pleased to annouce with Shannon at Modo Innovations that the covers have been completed for our cars. They should be listed on his website very soon.

Here's the pictures of my pedals that are getting sent back to me.

MOPAR001.jpg

MOPAR002.jpg

I'm sure the Dark Series will follow as well.

Riddler

-
Back